Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Another possibility may be the Tundra 4.6 L. with a Toyota supercharger. I was talking to someone who bought one recently and he tows a trailer or a boat with it. He says it gets 20+ mileage without towing and 14 when he does. I don't know the weight of what he's towing. He said he paid $32 K for it. He said with the supercharger it developed 350 Hp. It is available on the 5.7 L. too, but that seems overkill, though you should be able to beat just about any car from a traffic light.

If you look at the Toyota website you will find out very little about this combination. The supercharger has to be installed by the dealer and costs $4 or $5 K or more. I could not find towing specs for this. Toyota does not promote the supercharger although it has been offered for a long time.

This is an interesting option compared to the EcoBoost. Anyone interested should do research at a dealer and elsewhere. Using some rough numbers—15,000 miles driving per year with gas at $3.50, a 4 mpg increase in mileage would pay for the supercharger in less than 5 years. I doubt this option would get much at trade in, so the savings would have to come with gas savings.

Gene

Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #30
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
We have taken the 19' to Minnesota, and up into the mountains surrounding Yellowstone a few times this summer. If you live in this area, there are areas that are better than going into the park in the summer. I can not say anything bad about this truck/trailer combination. I am sure some who don't own this setup will have a "better idea" . I just know I have no buyers remorse, the combination works great for me, and I am very happy towing this trailer wherever and whenever we want.
Again, anyone with an airstream is welcome to our farm, which you may have to boondock with electricity here. We will find you a space. You may want to wait until next season though, as we will be in New Zealand for the winter.

Greg & Leslyn

Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I've had my 3.5 ecoboost since April. Tow my 31 footer with it and it is amazing.
Tows effortlessly. Haven't needed to use tow/haul to prevent gear hunting cause it doesn't.
Tow haul is nice on downhills though(downshifts automatically to hold speed).
I get about two miles per gallon(US) better than with my 5.4.
I get about ten miles per gallon better than the 5.4 when not towing.
And the best part for me is how quiet it is.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Also I got the supercab with an 8 foot box. Need the box for work. It's fun parking downtown Toronto and getting into alleys but hey we tow so a long truck shouldn't be an issue. And the long wheelbase makes for a really smooth ride towing or not.
It's 163 inches. Turns like the Queen Mary.
Al

TAC ON-3
Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
No problems, we are just going to disagree here like we do on the diesels vs V-10 petro motors. Btw, ever drive a truck with the front springs (camper package or snow plow package) without any weight up there, whole different handling, etc.

Any Hootz, have a great Sunday...

As a matter of fact I have, my truck has the Snow Plow option and I don't have a snow plow. For one thing, I use less front brakes since the "rake" on a stock front end truck is such that when brakes are applied, more inerta goes forward. With the snow plow option the front end is level and it also doesn't "dip" when making sharp turns. Again, you don't need a diesel to haul an Airstream, only get a diesel if you have lots of money for the diesel package and the added maintenance costs, or if you really like to "tinker" and get greasy/oily.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Another possibility may be the Tundra 4.6 L. with a Toyota supercharger. I was talking to someone who bought one recently and he tows a trailer or a boat with it. He says it gets 20+ mileage without towing and 14 when he does. I don't know the weight of what he's towing. He said he paid $32 K for it. He said with the supercharger it developed 350 Hp. It is available on the 5.7 L. too, but that seems overkill, though you should be able to beat just about any car from a traffic light.

Gene
I tow with a Sequoia with the 5.7L. For the ~ 1 mpg you give up going to the 5.7, I think it's worth the extra pull. I'm only pulling 4500lbs, but it tows like a dream. I don't think the supercharger will increase any of the base specs for towing... as I think the Tundra/Sequoia limits are GVW-based and not HP-based. I tow in some severe mountain conditions and have no problems keeping speed up the long hills.

You can find some nice year or two old Sequoia's...
Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Friday, you are pulling a lot lighter Airstream than many others, including us. So your mileage may be better than ours which is around 10.5 and 16-17 when not towing.

The 5.7 and 4.6 engine don't change the suspension. The TRD option should increase payload a bit, but you can get that on either Tundra. I don't know if they offer the TRD option on a Sequoia, but I've never seen one with the decal.

I expect the supercharger can be added to a Sequoia and that would be an interesting combination—a comfy SUV that is really, really fast.

Regardless, the supercharger may be a option worth exploring for some.

Gene
Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
If your warranty is over, then maybe, but with the new modern computer generated and running the fuel, tranny shifting, etc, combined with towing, all for at least $3,000+, I'd be suspect. Not to mention the problems some Jap vehicles are having with their rear end failures when towing. Not all, but fairly common. The Jap rear ends need a very careful break-in proceedure or they are prone to fail.

Pap

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:20 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Friday, you are pulling a lot lighter Airstream than many others, including us. So your mileage may be better than ours which is around 10.5 and 16-17 when not towing.

The 5.7 and 4.6 engine don't change the suspension. The TRD option should increase payload a bit, but you can get that on either Tundra. I don't know if they offer the TRD option on a Sequoia, but I've never seen one with the decal.

I expect the supercharger can be added to a Sequoia and that would be an interesting combination—a comfy SUV that is really, really fast.

Regardless, the supercharger may be a option worth exploring for some.

Gene
I guess I'm not following why the supercharger is wanted/needed... to get better mileage when empty and run the 4.6? Unloaded, the 5.7 gets essentially the same mileage... a 4.6 with blower won't give you much more than the 5.7 (around 400 vs. 380)... while the 5.7 gets bumped to over 500hp with the blower.

I know there is great debate... but I think if you are pulling a big enough rig to contemplate a supercharged gas... you'll get more oompf with a diesel...

Like I said... the 5.7 pulls my 22 foot like it isn't there... so I'm sure it would be an option for the bigger trailers (though I wouldn't go much bigger myself... just my preference)...
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I guess I'm not following why the supercharger is wanted/needed... to get better mileage when empty and run the 4.6? Unloaded, the 5.7 gets essentially the same mileage... a 4.6 with blower won't give you much more than the 5.7 (around 400 vs. 380)... while the 5.7 gets bumped to over 500hp with the blower.

I know there is great debate... but I think if you are pulling a big enough rig to contemplate a supercharged gas... you'll get more oompf with a diesel...

Like I said... the 5.7 pulls my 22 foot like it isn't there... so I'm sure it would be an option for the bigger trailers (though I wouldn't go much bigger myself... just my preference)...

If someone uses their truck a lot—a daily driver or just uses it not towing frequently—the better mileage with the blower (easier to type but I didn't use the term before because not everyone knows it) makes sense over time. According to what I was told, the Toyota gets mileage comparable to the EcoBoost when not towing and maybe better when towing—that makes it a possible alternative.

The same is true while towing if you take long trips every or most years. Eventually it will pay for itself.

No question that a diesel can outperform a simllar sized gas engine, but the extra initial cost of diesel plus maintenance means many do not want to select that option.

There is a similarity between the EcoBoost and the small V8 Tundra—a smaller engine boosted by an option that increases air delivered to the cylinders. The EcoBoost option is cheaper than the Toyota one, so pricing differences may matter. The Toyota does not have direct injection, the Ford does. Some direct injection engines have had valve problems—it seems too early to know whether the Ford version will have them. The Ford towing a medium sized Airstream gets only a little better mileage than our 5.7 L. Tundra, so the benefit to the Ford seems to be when not towing. Questions have been raised about whether the Ford V6 will wear out fast because the strain on it when towing and that answer will also have to wait for more experience with the truck.

These are not all the variables to be considered in making a decision. Relative reliability, how pretty a truck looks to you, handling, towing specs, etc., are all important too.

I agree the 5.7 L. doesn't need a blower unless you are going to drag race with it, but see below. My guess is the power exceeds the towing capacity, but Toyota has options to beef up the truck more, and there are aftermarket ones too. For someone who wants to tow a 34' trailer with a Tundra, it might be a good idea to look into that combination with some options such as bigger brakes. The total cost may be less than a 3/4 ton Ford or Chevy and you will get better reliability.

My point was that the Tundra 4.6 with a blower may be a good comparison to the EcoBoost, but anyone contemplating that should do more research. I suppose the same type comparison can be made between a Tundra 5.7 with blower and other options and a 3/4 ton.

We don't need a new truck now, but if we did, I'd look into this. It is not easy to find information on this, but it can be done. Reliability is important to us. We do take long trips most years and gas is a big expense. We don't want to get stuck far from home. Having to get things fixed thousands of miles from home without any knowledge of who you are dealing can lead to rip offs and bad repairs. By the time we are ready to buy another truck, everything may be different. We will know more about the EcoBoost, Toyota and others will have higher mileage offerings (hybrids, blowers, turbo, etc.) and gas may cost a lot more, or not. I want a powerful electric truck with lots of payload that goes at least 1,000 miles on a charge and doesn't cost much—I may have to wait a long time for that.

Improved gas mileage is coming to all trucks and Ford is ahead of the rest on this, though the Toyota blower is an interesting alternative for now.

Gene
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Gene,

I don't know where you are getting the info that superchargers are going to improve mileage, but my experience dealing with them on hotrods indicates differently. I'd like to see the data....it takes fuel to make power.

Additionally, anytime you boost the induction pressure on any engine, it creates higher cylinder pressures, which leads to higher ring/piston, and bearing pressure, etc. This, in turn, usually leads to shorter engine life.

This is just my opinion, but like I said, it is based on my experience with building, and running supercharged engines in hot rods, I would not do this to a driver, especially one that is pulling heavy loads that I wanted ulimate reliability from. Unless, of course, the engine was designed and built from the bottom up to withstand the additional load. I don't think Toyota builds their engines to deal with these loads, day in, day out.

YMMV.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I don't know anything about hot rods and they are different than production vehicles. People who build hotrods have different purposes from those building production trucks.

I agree fuel makes power but air is needed too. We have lower mileage here at altitude and less air too. Go down a mile, and mileage improves, though not by as much as used to happen decades ago—perhaps computer controlled engines compensate for altitude. And in the '80's, turbos and to some extent blowers were used to increase mileage until the manufacturers found a cheaper way to do it. So, it seems to me purposes and design of turbos and blowers make a difference in fuel economy and power.

The mileage numbers came from someone who bought one. They resemble the mileage numbers for the Ford and the principle of increasing air flow and pressure is the same. Otherwise, it is difficult to get much info on this. I'm sure more is available to someone who wants to do the research. What I've seen on the internet is about speed, not fuel.

Whether the Toyota or the Ford engines are built to withstand the additional strain on them requires experience with them.

If I were looking for a truck now I'd be very perplexed about what to do.

Gene
Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Exclamation Check OEM tire ratings

From the "lessons learned" department...I have a 2009 19' International CCD, a relatively light-weight (3800#) AS, and a 2006 Ford F-150 5.4 XLT Extra Cab with optional towing package. The towing package, as I found out, did not include upgraded tires. Both rear tires of truck failed on the road (at different times) while towing. I bit the bullet and upgraded to 10-ply Toyo tires on the truck. Check the rating of the OEM truck tires; they may be el cheapo 2-plys.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
All I can say is that I have the ecoboost with about 20000 miles on it and 4000 miles are towing my 31 foot Excella(8000 lb).
The truck just pulls it!!! I don't often use the tow/haul feature, except for downhill braking, and it often doesn't even downshift into fourth on big hills. That means it is in overdrive all the time.
Granted I haven't towed in the Rockies or the big hills in the east but with turbochargers altitude isn't really a factor is it?
I'm pro Ford only because I have always liked their styling better than the others(also won't buy offshore on principle). If all Americans did this I think we would be better off.
Al

TAC ON-3

Tags
f-150