Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Questions for those who tow with a Dodge or Chrysler minivan ONLY.

No room for haters here - move on. We already tow with a minivan. We plan to stick with it.

I purposely avoid minivan towing threads...but, we are looking to change from our 2004 rust box Ford Freestar with a 4.2 (which actually tows our 1964 Bambi II very well) to a 2011 or newer Chrysler or Dodge minivan with a 3.6.

We are wondering who out there has these vans set up with factory tow packages and who does not and your experiences.

If yours was not factory set up, what if anything have you added (in terms of engine/trans cooling devices, etc.) We already have a weight distributing hitch set up for the Ford and will carry that over.

Any ideas/advice/perceptions you can give us about your towing experiences with a 2011 or newer Chrysler product minivan are welcomed. And only those comments from said users will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance-

Ben and Lynn
Old 12-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
Give a call to Andy Thomson at CANAM Airstream. He wrote a very nice article on towing with mini-vans in the last issue of Airstream Life, if memory serves.
gwydir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Is your Bambi within the tow ratings of the van you're looking at? If so, there's not even a need for discussion. ...other than proper hitching and wd application.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Is your Bambi within the tow ratings of the van you're looking at? If so, there's not even a need for discussion. ...other than proper hitching and wd application.
It is, Rich. Our Bambi is one of the smallest Airstreams made. We will be within the range. Problem is that Dodge/Chrysler is sketchy when it comes to the vans equipped with towing equipment from the factory and really how much it matters.

That is what we are trying to find out...how much it matters. We have a hook on a pretty nice 2011 here in the local area and it does not have the towing equipment as far as we can tell. A receiver is no big deal...and it can be reinfofced by Can-Am or other company. It is what is under the hood that is of question here.

Some say it does not matter, especially with the small trailer we tow. We just want to try to gather whatever info we can.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What is the max tow rating of the van if it had the tow package? I am confident there is no structural differences in the body. I would install a trans cooler for sure. The only other thing would be radiator size. But your trailer can't be 3000 lb loaded, right? I'm not a Chrysler expert, but I don't think it's an issue....unless I'm way off on your weight and the van ratings.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The 3.6 is an amazing engine. I've seen the CanAm van loaded with all kinds of trailers, not just Airstreams, and performing flawlessly.

I'd get my hitch reinforced, a transmission cooler added and go and have fun.

For reference, we have been towing our 34' International with a Honda Odyssey until this last summer.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I'm still confused. ...why does he need a hitch reinforcement for a 64 Bambi?????

Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
I no longer have my 2011 Dodge with which I did tow my 23'AS on several trips with absolutely no problems. CANAM installed the receiver which was properly reinforced to deal with stresses caused by reversing backups when tow vehicle and AS are not exactly aligned. They also installed the WD hitch and friction sway bar, brake controller and all required wiring. A perfect install!

My Dodge dealer did warn me about possible loss of warranty as I was towing above the 3500 lb weight limit allowed by Chrysler. He was unable to install a transmission cooler as in this model of engine, cooling is integral to the engine. He examined the hitch install and was impressed.

I did not experience any problem with the CANAM setup and subsequent towing experience. The engine installed in my Dodge Caravan was 383hp, plenty for what we needed at the time.
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
2011 Bambi with 2014 T&C 3.6

Ben and Lynn ... I do. Tow my 19' 2011 Flying Cloud with my 2014 Town and Country 3.6 litre with absolutely no problems. We are getting ready to tow it to Yukon/NWT and Alaska this coming spring and am not a bit concerned.

I have the factory tow package but it by itself is not adequate for the tongue weight or to adequately distribute the weight to the front axles. My airstream dealer has vast experience preparing mini-vans to tow. They added a large steel bar from the hitch in the rear forward to distribute more weight to the front axle and also reinforced the factory receiver for the tongue weight with additional welds.

In fact we have good friends who tow their 2002 30' Classic with a 2012 Caravan with the 3.6. No problems if the hitch is reinforced for the tongue and a proper weight distribution hitch. I have seen some with hemsley hitches but have no experience.

Hope this helps
JohnGough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Barrie , Ontario
I too have Dodge Caravan 3.6 setup by Can Am. The only thing Andy did was then hitch reinforcement. I spoke with Andy while he was installing my dog guards on the door. They have done hundreds and hundreds for Grand Caravans. Only once he installed a second tranny cooler, that guy was towing a fairly long one in the mountains in the SW USA. The only other thing he suggested was to rpleace my tires with lower profile ones when they need replacing.
We are towing a 22 FB with the 2013 Grand Caravan and it tows amazingly well.
Give Andy a call.
Lhunter59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond , Indiana
TOWNING WITH A 2011 cHRYSLER MINI VAN

I did some checking and it looks like the 2011 chrysler mini vans with the 3.6l engine can tow 3600 pounds. They all include a transmission cooler. Chrysler did offer a heavy duty towning package which included a heavy duty radiator, a larger transmission cooler and an engine oil cooler.
Vaughn Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
We looked at and liked a 2012 T & C minivan locally for sale, and committed to purchase it within the next day or two. It has a Curt Class III receiver hitch installed (for bike rack), but no wiring.

I plan to transfer the brake controller from our rusty Ford Freestar and possibly the 7-plug tether installed by Can-Am. I also hope to have the hitch receiver reinforced as by Can-Am, but hoping to not have to run up to London to do it. I know Andy T. can talk reputable local shops through the process, and we have a good one nearby.

Looking forward to the towing/camping season!

Ben
Old 12-24-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Not a Chrysler or Dodge but we've been towing our 2011 28' International with a V6 3.5L Toyota Sienna. CanAm did the usual towing mods, and the van itself has towed flawlessly for five years. Apart from not being able to tow up grades at 75mph (50-55 is the most comfortable), it's been a perfectly capable towing platform. I've had the thing serviced according to Toyota's schedule and the only mechanical issue I've had was a puncture. Drive on!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the info about your Sienna. We had considered them as an option.

We now own a 2012 T & C...set up with a receiver, but I will be transferring the brake controller and wiring from our old rusty Ford Freestar by spring.

Just in driving it around town for a few days, it is far superior to the Ford. More stable, more powerful, more refined. To say there will NEVER be another Ford in my driveway is the understatement of the decade.

Looking forward to many summer adventures with our new tow vehicle. Thanks everyone, for your input!

Ben
Old 12-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
You should be able to buy wiring harnesses for your brake control (under dash) and trailer hookups. Either from the Chrysler dealer or aftermarket. Makes wiring an easy plug in job.