Old 04-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
As I follow my thread diligently and review the options you have all provided for consideration, I have been forced to step back and absorb everything. This is a great thing and I am very appreciative! We will be using our AS on some short trips in the coming months to decide how/what works best for us. Currently, we are still leaning toward a camper shell for the security and available height for bikes, but I will say the Soft Topper (security is an issue) is something we are considering with its stowability (when not in use) and light weight.

Yes, I did mention I was not interested in tonneau covers, but the Roll-N-Lock has also peaked my interest because of its versatility. It’s pretty wide open for us at this time so who knows where we’ll end up.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
In addition to the Roll-n-Lock, I have a running board that extends clear to the rear wheels, which, for us shorter guys, facilitates getting to items near the cab. I store some items, rivet kits, hook-up items and other stuff in plastic boxes with lids which slide under the roll -n-Lock canister at the cab end of the bed. Other items, such as our kites ( we are sport kite fliers) are in water proof containers. Folding chairs, BBQ, and other items are put in the center of the bed and stay dry. In the rain or when the truck is washed, some water does get into the corners.
As far a freezing in the winter, we stay away from places that freeze in the winter. That's why we have an Airstream.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Well our vote also goes for the camper shell...just had one put on our truck last week.....Our purpose was for keeping our things dry and also have dogs that we can have travel in the back with the windows open. Really happy that we did the camper top! Pic of the back of our camper top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3041201.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	99548  
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
The '06 Silverado 2500 I just got has a Jack Rabbit spring-loaded retractable tonneau that is pretty slick. The Pace-Edwards JackRabbit Spring-Action Retractable Tonneau Cover It locks, tailgate has a lock as well and the cover seals pretty good. Was surprised how dry the bed was after the heavy rains we have experienced here on the East Coast. I have had caps on other trucks and they certainly do have their pluses and minuses as mentioned. This seems like a pretty good compromise; will have a better opinion of it in a year or so!

Rich
Old 04-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
The '06 Silverado 2500 I just got has a Jack Rabbit spring-loaded retractable tonneau that is pretty slick. The Pace-Edwards JackRabbit Spring-Action Retractable Tonneau Cover It locks, tailgate has a lock as well and the cover seals pretty good. Was surprised how dry the bed was after the heavy rains we have experienced here on the East Coast. I have had caps on other trucks and they certainly do have their pluses and minuses as mentioned. This seems like a pretty good compromise; will have a better opinion of it in a year or so!

Rich
Looks just like the Roll-n-Lock.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have had;
retractable soft covers- Not secure, and they are a pain, it also limits the height of what you store to the height of the bed,
Hard retractable cover from Pace Edwards- really liked it, electric open/close but again it leaks water in a hard rain, never had any trouble with freezing, Storage height limited to the height of the bed.
Shells- This is the best of all that I have had, more secure than anything else, no leaks, I have only had 1 with windows and done away with the windows to make it solid, drawback is the crawling up to get to the stuff in the front which can be eliminated in 2 ways; A) hing mounted at front/side with lift shocks to open it upwards for easy access, B) roll rails mounted to the side of the bed which allows you to roll it back a foot or so to access the front.
I currently have a Ford Excursion so many of these problems are eliminated, but because Ford does not make this vehicle any more I will evenually be forced to buy another pickup in which case it will have a shell either mounted with slides or doors for access to front.

Sarge
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
170 cubic feet-plus. The bed shell and bed liner make it easy to slide any and all equipment around. Tie-downs and load-locks make any configuration of cargo possible . . and an 8' bed make it easy to load and forget. Fuel mileage is improved over an empty bed (with a close-fitting shell that follows cab and bed contours). Additional weight over stock is probably 300-lbs for both pieces.

Post #25 in sig link for photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	99639  

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote