Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Grayslake , Illinois
Question about towing and brake controllers

Today I attempted to install my lexan replacement front curved window in my Avion 1985 25H. It was a failure, I could not get the rubber seals in place to hold the window. I am extremely frustrated. I called Chuck at Cayo and am thinking it would be best to take the trailer to him and let him do it. It's about a 2 hour drive from me. I have not towed the trailer yet, I had it towed to where it currently is for my restoration purposes. I have not installed a brake controller on my truck yet. Any opinions on whether I can tow this thing without a brake controller just to get this work done? The reason I ask is that I am under a time limit here as the village where it's parked has given me an ultimatum to get it out of there, but I don't want to store it publicly until I have the window fixed since it's a security issue. Any help is appreciated
stevealbrech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
How far do you have to tow the trailer and over what type of road, i.e. interstate, back roads, city streets?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Can you remove the frame and take it to them to replace for you? You could put that in your TV and just drive it over..

I would NOT pull without having my brakes working...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
You may wish to ask a windshield installer how to do this.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevealbrech View Post
Today I attempted to install my lexan replacement front curved window in my Avion 1985 25H. It was a failure, I could not get the rubber seals in place to hold the window. I am extremely frustrated. I called Chuck at Cayo and am thinking it would be best to take the trailer to him and let him do it. It's about a 2 hour drive from me. I have not towed the trailer yet, I had it towed to where it currently is for my restoration purposes. I have not installed a brake controller on my truck yet. Any opinions on whether I can tow this thing without a brake controller just to get this work done? The reason I ask is that I am under a time limit here as the village where it's parked has given me an ultimatum to get it out of there, but I don't want to store it publicly until I have the window fixed since it's a security issue. Any help is appreciated

Illinois law requires functioning brakes on trailers exceeding 3,000 lbs GW. Most states have similar requirements.

Towing World Official Website

Yes you can tow but the issue is stopping. Here is my personal take on this:

If you are willing to take on the effort and expense to have the window repaired properly then why take on a risky towing adventure? Perhaps taking the time to install a brake controller (BC) is the correct step to take.

Installing a BC on most TV's takes a few hours (or less if the TV is factory wired) and is money well spent IMO.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevealbrech View Post
I would be talking to the glass shops in your area.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A glass company should be able to put the window in on-site.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote