Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
hinton , alberta
Question about my old 250

I have a 34 ft unit that I bought from the original owner Its a 93 and I also bought his original tow vehicle which is a 92 ford 250 with the 7.3 engine and a banks sidewinder. It is an amazing unit and pulls the trailer at 60 mph comfortably and stops with precision. Tons of power and just a nice old truck BUT.... every so often instead of the wait to start engine light coming on which heats glow plugs it goes to water in fuel light instead. The damn thing turns over like crazy but needs about four minutes of cranking to start. Once it starts it runs like a lion. New fuel filters all the way around new in line check and fresh fuel in both tanks. The truck only has 120000 miles so I hope to have it for many years to come but could use any expert advice as this is frustrating and of course one day will leave me along the Alaska Highway. lol thanks
chuckmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

lancing , Tennessee
I will leave what I put just as a reminder to me to carefully read the original post.

I am figuring it might be the wires or connector more now. When you drain fuel does a decent bit come out or does it dribble?

I still figure the ford sites will do a good job of showing you the direction to head.

I figure you know the water in fuel light is for the fuel filter, diesel engines tend to have a spin on fuel filter in the engine bay. You can run a search for your year ford to learn exactly where it is and the recomended process for draining water out of it without making a mess.

With the age of your vehicle there is a chance it is also just a connector, so the search will let you learn the average lifespan of the wire sensor for this fuel filter.

I don't know these fords that well but they are well respected.

The water in fuel is a concern and if it is keeping the glow plugs from turning on it would explain the hard starting, my understanding is these older diesels are rather sensitive to the glow plugs working.

Lots of ford sites out there with lots of posts on this engine, so I am not going to guess on the specifics because it has been a long time since I looked at this specific setup.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Hi, chuckmac.

I have a PowerStroke, so my 7.3L is different than yours. I agree with the previous post that directs you to the Ford Truck sites. They will be good help.

I'm kind of guessing that maybe you have a sensor or wiring problem.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote