Old 09-13-2002, 06:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Apple 1 / Tow ratings

Hello Apple 1

We are fortunate to have knowlegable folks like you contributing to the forum and appreciate your input based on passed professional experiance.
I hear what you are saying but many of us are skeptical of "some" factory tow ratings.
I understand, for example that a 1998 Saturn at around 100 HP is tow rated at 1,000 lbs., the same as a 300 HP Caddy Seville. I am aware of a Seville pulling a large A/S and doing it effortlessly. I think if you hooked up the same A/S to a Saturn it would probably get a hernia before shifting out of 1st gear.

I do believe that "most" factory rating are probably in the ball park and I do believe that the slippery airstream does add some head room to that number especially if the combination is not going to get into mountain climbing. I do agree that hill climbing is a major factor and the 30% less resistance factor still comes into play on the hills as a benefit. A good computer program would be interesting if we could "crunch the numbers" but then again it may be more fun just hooking up and heading down the highway.
I enjoy your reading your notes Apple 1. Keep up the good work.

Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 09:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
There are many factors considered by the vehicle manufacturer when setting a trailer tow weight. In my case I tow with a 1500 Dodge Ram with a 360 and auto trans and a 3:92 rear axle ratio. This same package in a 2500 is rated to tow a heavier trailer. The engine, trans, and cooling package is the same but the 2500 has a heavier rear axle with a 4:10 ratio, larger brakes front and rear, heavier frame rails and heavier springs.
In the case of passanger cars and many mini vans they are unibody construction and do not have a seperate frame rail to attach a hitch too. As a result the manufacturer usually limits the towing capacity based on the vehicle structure. There are companys making hitches who will build anything you want and not consider the vehicle structure.
And last but not least all the truck companys do handling, stoping and relaunch tests which also may reduce the approved trailer weight. The truck companys also perform structural durability testing under very severe road conditions.

apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
This is an old thread but some things never change

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote