Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Flushing , New York
pulling vehicle and many questions.

Good morning airstreamers,
I am wondering if a specific drive train is better than others for pulling. Does wheel base of the vehicle matter? I am planning on building a 1952 chevy COE to pull the trailer. The GVW of the truck is 16000. I plan to weld on a trailer ball to the frame and reinforce the hitch points. Since it was meant to pull heavy loads and be a farm truck, I cant imagine it being a problem.

I am looking for a trailer between 17 and 21 ft long. Any opinions on which model? I plan to gut it and turn it into a mobile food vending truck. What is the weight load of a stock 1 axle trailer vs tandem? I plan on driving this trailer daily and need something that will handle the abuse of NYC roads. Thoughts?

What is the floor to ceiling height avg and width avg of the trailer sizes btwn 17-21 ft?

Thank you all!
Ab
foodstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That sounds like a problem.

I think, without knowing anything, that you'll get a dozen responses saying "that is way too stiff a truck for that size of trailer and it will shake it to pieces."

And I think they'd be right.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Hi, Ab,

Welcome to the forums. I would say the first thing you should do is talk to to the fellow on this other thread who just bought an Airstream already converted to a food vending trailer!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...vel-72359.html
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodstream View Post
Good morning airstreamers,
I am wondering if a specific drive train is better than others for pulling. Does wheel base of the vehicle matter? I am planning on building a 1952 chevy COE to pull the trailer. The GVW of the truck is 16000. I plan to weld on a trailer ball to the frame and reinforce the hitch points. Since it was meant to pull heavy loads and be a farm truck, I cant imagine it being a problem.
Most of the experience here is with modern tow vehicles and lighter trucks. Modern trailer brakes require a 12 volt alternator, so that's a conversion to consider if it has not already been performed.

Both the stiffness of the rear springs, and the lack of shock absorbers, could lead to an excessively stiff ride for the trailer and, possibly, separation of the front shell and frame.

Wheelbase does matter and if yours is much under 150" or so it would raise questions.

Quote:
I am looking for a trailer between 17 and 21 ft long. Any opinions on which model? I plan to gut it and turn it into a mobile food vending truck. What is the weight load of a stock 1 axle trailer vs tandem? I plan on driving this trailer daily and need something that will handle the abuse of NYC roads. Thoughts?
In those lengths the trailers are single axle.

There is some information on the dimensions and weights for trailers of various years here:

airstreamguy.com - ** Airstream Lengths, Weights and Tongue Weight

[/QUOTE]
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Flushing , New York
Thank you everyone. After re reading my post, I forgot to add a couple things. The truck will be converted to 12v throughout. As for suspension I plan on running Airride in the truck with 4link rear and for the trailer air bags, shocks and 3 link rear.
I will check out the other trailer pages. Thank you all.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Flushing , New York
So it looks like I am looking for a 1964 to 1968 (5 end panels).