Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Pulling 2006 FB Safari SW with Lexus GX

So the Safari FB 2006 SE has a GVWR of 7300 pounds and UBW of 5443. My 2005 Lexus GX470 is rated for 6500 pounds. Is this an impossibility to tow, even if the Safari doesn't have water etc. in the tanks, extra weight?

Love this trailer and love my Lexus and don't want to move down to a 23'er.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I towed a simular sized and weight 25'er with a GMC 1/2 ton pickup with a 5.3 Liter V8....had a little more HP and torque than the Lexus' 263 horsepower and 323 pound-feet of torque, (325, and 348 respectively) and I was dissatisfied with it. It was also much longer wheel base than your Lexus.

However, you need to try it and see if you like it.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Howells and the Clampetts

Friends: I have friends who pull a 28' Classic with a big Lexus SUV and a Hensley, of course. It's total luxury. We represent opposite ends of the spectrum on TVs. Our's: big, noisy, quirky, jerky, hard to park, truck lane hoggin' diesel honkin' truck. Their's: quiet, refined, three cows killed for the seats, wimpy softtail girly man kind of ride but boy is it sweet SUV. I'm sure they'd faint if someone put the slinky in their cargo area. They tow like Mr. and Mrs. Thurston Howell III. We tow like the Clampetts. They've camped coast to coast with class. We'll be camped next to them this weekend. We'll just have to keep the clothes off the line and the dogs chained to the porch. I'm envious, of course, but in very rugged areas they're envious of us. Of course you'll love your Lexus as a TV. Just plan accordingly. Best wishes, John
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Friends: I have friends who pull a 28' Classic with a big Lexus SUV and a Hensley, of course. It's total luxury. We represent opposite ends of the spectrum on TVs. Our's: big, noisy, quirky, jerky, hard to park, truck lane hoggin' diesel honkin' truck. Their's: quiet, refined, three cows killed for the seats, wimpy softtail girly man kind of ride but boy is it sweet SUV. I'm sure they'd faint if someone put the slinky in their cargo area. They tow like Mr. and Mrs. Thurston Howell III. We tow like the Clampetts. They've camped coast to coast with class. We'll be camped next to them this weekend. We'll just have to keep the clothes off the line and the dogs chained to the porch. I'm envious, of course, but in very rugged areas they're envious of us. Of course you'll love your Lexus as a TV. Just plan accordingly. Best wishes, John
This needs a PICTURE!

Forgive me if either do not partake of adult beverages, I picture the Howells sipping merlot on a white table cloth, he in a smoking jacket she in an appropiate diner dress, and the Clampetts are tippin a jug and all a havin a large time!

Thurston, good luck and enjoy, I drive a smelly louder obnoxious diesel.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Somehow I don't see the Clampetts in an Airstream of any vintage so I think you're under rating yourself unless you tie Granny down in a rockin chair on top of the Airstream.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
RH,

I wondered the same thing (in fact couldn't sleep for thinking about it).

We had a 1000 mile one way trip to bring our coach home. Our first leg was 200 miles in snow and slush. That is not how I wanted to be initiated into pulling a unfamiliar trailer!!!!

When we got home, had ice, slush and dark on a steep hill with a hard right turn at the bottom of hill. I took it real slow and never had a "pucker".

GX has unbelievable traction!

1st picture is of our first night last Jan. ( from motel window)

2nd Picture is last weekend, our first night out! Everything works!!

We do have a Hensley. I would see and hear a truck passing and seldom felt it.

I do wish for more HP! But, only have 145K on the GX, in Toyota life span, it's just past puppy stage.

When I look at new vehicles, none have the nice interior the GX has and I figure it has another 150K life in it.

My advice is try it with proper hitch setup.

You won't win any races up the hill, but I figure one should work within parameters of equipment. Just take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3440.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	111319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4595.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	111320  

triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Nice trailer Bob. Since a client of mine works for Toyota he wasn't in favor of me going outside the 6500 pounds the GX is rated for. Had a 72 Tradewind and it was no big deal to pull it but it was a few thousand pounds lighter.
Pulling a trailer through any street in Eureka is a challenge with all those Ripley Believe it or Not street crossings.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I REALLY like my 2001 Sequoia, and I think it does a great job with my 26' Argosy... but it's a good 2000 or so pounds less AND 6" narrower than the newer ones. I'm not sure the Sequoia or GX would have enough guts over the hills to make me comfortable.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
RH,
I live outside of town, have towed my 16' flatbed with tractor thru town, but wouldn't think of taking the AS!! I think that would be illegal, but, if not, common sense should rule, and I don't want a ticket or a crease on the skin.

I did drive my brother in law's Dodge diesel long bed thru town (one time!!). I know I passed up many good parking places and felt guilty for the noise.
Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Yeah my buddy pulls his 69 Overlander with a 2001 Sequoia. Loads it up with bikes, canoes the works. But the new Streams are much heavier.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Cool

I think you can do it, although you may shorten the life of the TV trans & rear end. Drove a Toyota Prado VX (foreign version of the GX) for about 3yrs it was a great off road vehicle with ultra luxury inside. I just remembered how loaded down the rear got when we had people in the cargo area seats.

Makes me wonder how well it would handle the heavy tongue load if you had any type of payload in the cargo area. Particularly if your lacking transmission cooler. It'll work just may feel not so fun and costly in the long run.

Intead of moving down to a 23, why not trade into a top end Sequoia. I have a colleague with one and I felt that it was at least as nice as our Prado and had towing capacity of 10k. The Lexus badging is purely marketing for this vehicle. Lexus here, Landcruiser everywhere else......

The extra ponies would be nice. You'll probably get better gas mileage under tow and I'd bet the depreciation trade in would be comparable in either trade case...

Good luck.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
HM,
In my mind, a Lexus is a Toyota with a nicer interior (a big plus).
I've wondered about a Sequoia or Tundra, but they are not as nice inside as our paid for Gx470 which handles our AS.
Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Was looking at the 2010 Flying Clouds Sat at Camping World. They had a 27'er there that was being sold for just $2,000 more than the 23'er. I'm thinking I would trade the Lexus GX down the road for more power but til then hoping it would make do.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Agree with on all counts that the lexus feels nicer than Toyota. I've owned a 4 runner loaded to the hilt and the GX470/land cruiser Prado. And they are different in the frame/chasis. Also funny that they don't sell the 4 runner outside of North America. Only the Prado....... I think this is generally because most foreign markets demand higher off road performance (not too many interstate networks on other continents).

When it comes to sequoia, you can add similar trim levels to the GX since there is no other competing product in the mfr lineup. Either way, if you like your car keep it. You could do worse.

We thought hard about buying a GX when we returned from Africa, but chose a crew cab pick up over an SUV because it had more versatility for our lifestyle (better towing and the cab is cavernous). Besides it gave me a good excuse for me to keep my other "fun" car.

Don't trade to a 23. You will miss the space....
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Bob my Dad had a mobile home towed through dowwntown Eureka and something on the hitch broke by the park on Spring st. They eventually got it out to his lot on Holiday Island. That was bout 30 year
s ago
Old 09-20-2010, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Well since there are a few of you pulling a 25'er then I'll see if I can make a deal. The trailer will be in the family longer than the Lexus. Bob is right the GX pulls like a bulldog and has great traction.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Must agree with Steve H. We towed our 25er with a 99 Suburban 5.7ltr,3.73 rear end and found ourselves off the road and on the shoulder in 2nd gear, maxing out at 35mph or less with every semi on the road flying by us while attempting to climb any substantial grade at all. The leather seats, woodgrain steering wheels and other unnecessary "dodads" become meaningless at times like these. As Jack Palance said in the movie City Slickers "focus on the one thing" in this case towability. GMC 2500 duramax, or Ford or Dodge 2500 diesels. Watch out though, a test drive may leave you wanting one!
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Something to consider that hasn't been mentioned is mirrors. I have a 16' CCD and a GX - the GX is narrower than the trailer & I find the stock mirrors are not good enough to even see along the side of the trailer. When I try to install my McKesh mirrors on the GX I find the soft trim strip along the bottom of the door doesn't allow a firm mounting for the mirror straps - plus I worry about damaging the trim on the GX door. Just another factor to consider.

Be sure and read the instructions about setting up the hitch - with the air suspension on the GX. Also make sure your GX has the 6500 hitch - some of them had only a 5000 capacity & weren't intended to be used with a weight distributing hitch.

My other car is a Dodge Cummins which is a more capable TV all around especially with that l'il 16'-er - but I have dreams of a real Airstream some day.... :-)
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD View Post
When I try to install my McKesh mirrors on the GX I find the soft trim strip along the bottom of the door doesn't allow a firm mounting for the mirror straps - plus I worry about damaging the trim on the GX door. Just another factor to consider.
We have the same soft trim strip along the door of our Infiniti G35. It would be better if it wasn't there but so far after using the McKesh mirrors on them for about 200hrs there is no damage. The rubber has good memory characteristics and goes back to the normal position.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
I tried the McKesh mirrors on our GX, but due to plastic cladding on lower door and tight clearance on side window, I didn't feel they would stay on.

I ended up with mirrors that have 2 ratchet straps and clamp over the existing mirror housing. (Don't remember brand). They work OK, but do somewhat interfere with mirror range of movement.

Bob