Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Bob my Dad had a mobile home towed through dowwntown Eureka and something on the hitch broke by the park on Spring st. They eventually got it out to his lot on Holiday Island. That was bout 30 year
s ago

Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Well since there are a few of you pulling a 25'er then I'll see if I can make a deal. The trailer will be in the family longer than the Lexus. Bob is right the GX pulls like a bulldog and has great traction.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Must agree with Steve H. We towed our 25er with a 99 Suburban 5.7ltr,3.73 rear end and found ourselves off the road and on the shoulder in 2nd gear, maxing out at 35mph or less with every semi on the road flying by us while attempting to climb any substantial grade at all. The leather seats, woodgrain steering wheels and other unnecessary "dodads" become meaningless at times like these. As Jack Palance said in the movie City Slickers "focus on the one thing" in this case towability. GMC 2500 duramax, or Ford or Dodge 2500 diesels. Watch out though, a test drive may leave you wanting one!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Something to consider that hasn't been mentioned is mirrors. I have a 16' CCD and a GX - the GX is narrower than the trailer & I find the stock mirrors are not good enough to even see along the side of the trailer. When I try to install my McKesh mirrors on the GX I find the soft trim strip along the bottom of the door doesn't allow a firm mounting for the mirror straps - plus I worry about damaging the trim on the GX door. Just another factor to consider.

Be sure and read the instructions about setting up the hitch - with the air suspension on the GX. Also make sure your GX has the 6500 hitch - some of them had only a 5000 capacity & weren't intended to be used with a weight distributing hitch.

My other car is a Dodge Cummins which is a more capable TV all around especially with that l'il 16'-er - but I have dreams of a real Airstream some day.... :-)
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD View Post
When I try to install my McKesh mirrors on the GX I find the soft trim strip along the bottom of the door doesn't allow a firm mounting for the mirror straps - plus I worry about damaging the trim on the GX door. Just another factor to consider.
We have the same soft trim strip along the door of our Infiniti G35. It would be better if it wasn't there but so far after using the McKesh mirrors on them for about 200hrs there is no damage. The rubber has good memory characteristics and goes back to the normal position.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
I tried the McKesh mirrors on our GX, but due to plastic cladding on lower door and tight clearance on side window, I didn't feel they would stay on.

I ended up with mirrors that have 2 ratchet straps and clamp over the existing mirror housing. (Don't remember brand). They work OK, but do somewhat interfere with mirror range of movement.

Bob
Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
So we made it back to Houston from Penn. some 1350 miles. Trailer pulled well under all conditions, was great in the hills of West Virginia and across the Skyline drive in Shenandoah National Park. We had a VERY strong gust of wind blow across us going about 75 mph. Sounded like a jet engine. Was able to maintain control but was a little scary. Backed off the speed for a while to 65.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinKC View Post
Friends: I have friends who pull a 28' Classic with a big Lexus SUV and a Hensley, of course. It's total luxury. We represent opposite ends of the spectrum on TVs. Our's: big, noisy, quirky, jerky, hard to park, truck lane hoggin' diesel honkin' truck. Their's: quiet, refined, three cows killed for the seats, wimpy softtail girly man kind of ride but boy is it sweet SUV. I'm sure they'd faint if someone put the slinky in their cargo area. They tow like Mr. and Mrs. Thurston Howell III. We tow like the Clampetts. They've camped coast to coast with class. We'll be camped next to them this weekend. We'll just have to keep the clothes off the line and the dogs chained to the porch. I'm envious, of course, but in very rugged areas they're envious of us. Of course you'll love your Lexus as a TV. Just plan accordingly. Best wishes, John
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway View Post
. . We towed our 25er with a 99 Suburban 5.7ltr,3.73 rear end and found ourselves off the road and on the shoulder in 2nd gear, maxing out at 35mph or less with every semi on the road flying by us while attempting to climb any substantial grade at all.
Can't see a single problem with this outside of unfamiliarity AND being on the shoulder (illegal, dangerous, not at all smart) . . just put on the flashers and proceed. Heavy and slow is the norm for a proper vehicle, otherwise the power is wasted in 99.5% of driving. A slow vehicle has every right to travel as needed . . and getting out of the way of other traffic is dependent on being able to pull over somewhere safely, which definition the shoulder does not meet. Stay centered IN the lane, not to the right side of the lane!

That's a vehicle that would be helped by a vacuum gauge (downshift the moment vacuum starts to drop), and by having tried to gain some speed before the slope. WOT for minutes on end hurts nothing, and traveling slower and slower is just skill-enhancement. Anxiety about it is just fear that has not been dealt with.

As to the OP question, try it and see: get a Pro Pride hitch and set it up properly (certified scale, every time). Same with tire pressures. Keep a reasonable speed.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote