Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Power/gas mileage mods for TV

I just put some more hp, torque, and mpg into my Dodge 2500 quad cab hemi. I am awaiting a programmable tuner from Hypertech, a Gibson swept side cat back exhaust system, a airaide cold air intake system and an airaide throttle body spacer. According to the literature I should be adding about 50 hp and 50-60 ftlbs of torque and increasing gas mileage by 4-6 mpg. I hope this happens, don't really need more power but did it for the improved gas mileage. Of course more power and torque is always nice too. The Gibson exhaust and Hypertech tuner is supposed to really help with towing giving me a lot more low to mid range torque.

Has anybody done any of these mods on their hemi or comparable truck and what were your gains? Thanks.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have an 03 Duramax. I installed the AFE airintake, and a 4" exhaust that replaced the stock system from the turbo back. I also installed the Edge "Juice" computer system. I see great gains in power. Mileage increased by 2 to 4 mpg. With a 31' trailer and staying at 2000 rpms (about 68 mph with 3.73 gear) I get 15 mph. Stay around 55 mph, and it goes as high as 16.5. Empty around 20 mpg if I keep my foot out of it.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
More power and more MPGs? Sounds like she will be running lean! Bad for the engine.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
More power and more mpg doesn't automatically equate to running lean, does it? It is currently running a little rich. If a motor is performing more efficiently it will produce more power and get better gas mileage, at least I think. Anyone else have any insight into this or splain things to me real simple like. Thanks.

Heinlein
Old 11-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I did many mods to a Chevy LT1 powered sedan that I use to tow the Bambi and current Safari with.

I found that most of the mods you talk about do provide good increases to performance (and of course in some cases fewer MPGs).

I also found that some of the claimed HP and torque upgrades were somewhat misleading. To really know what your mods have done, a dyno is your best way of knowing.

I also started with Hypertech and found that tuning, though better than OEM was still kind of weak. I moved onto using PCMforless.com and found that programming to be far better....of course, it's not a simple plug in to the PCM data port like Hypertech...you have to ship them your PCM, but I've been very happy with my programming since going this route.

Having an "H" or "X" pipe between the duals also seems to improve performance.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Runing lean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
More power and more mpg doesn't automatically equate to running lean, does it? It is currently running a little rich. If a motor is performing more efficiently it will produce more power and get better gas mileage, at least I think. Anyone else have any insight into this or splain things to me real simple like. Thanks.
With todays computer controlled engines they are running at peak effeciency already. In order to get performance improvements you have to change something. usually more fuel. Most of the trucks that I see that have mods are spewing clouds of black smoke(diesel). too much fuel for the air in the engine. Lower fuel milage. high flow air filters also have to comprimise. They do not keep as much dirt out of the engine. People other than the manufacturer have tested this.

Your best way to get your best milage is to have good driving habits. SLow steady acceleration and slow gentle stops. Group your errands together and just be gentle.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
This is not making me feel good. I just spent a thousand bucks on these products after reading about a lot of different options and if I don't get better mpg from them I know a little lady that is going to be boxing my ears for a long time to come.

Heinlein
Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
More power and more MPGs? Sounds like she will be running lean! Bad for the engine.
The addition of the more efficient air intake and exhaust system undo the de-tuning of the factory settings required to make the engine meet emissions standards seem to be the explanation, according to several sources of information. As to the lean comment, its not my old v-tail, so no mixture to worry about. Although I have noticed no significant changes in EGT in the lower performance settings that I select when I tow. I make no claim as to a numeric value for the increased power levels, but simple "seat of the pants" feel says some change is going on. Engine is at 53000 miles, and receives only dealership service.
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Power, performance is typically at a direct opposite end of the spectrum.

Power and performance typically, as thecatsandi said, means a fuel to air mixture change. Not sure what Hypertech promises, but I had one and it didn't do anything in the realm of better MPG.

Better air cleaner might add some, but folks that add the aftermarket air intakes typically do it for throttle reponse, sound and to complement other aspects of mods, like an upgraded exhaust system. Though they do add HP, I didn't see much of a MPG increase if at all with Hypertech, cold air intake and true dual exhaust (with H pipe) from the exhaust manifolds back.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
A lot of the information I read seemed to indicate that with increased airflow I would get both better performance(because of better efficiency) and better mpg (because of better efficiency). This seemed to make sense to me also because this is what I have experienced with my fuel injected motorcycles. Not only that but the PO of my truck had hacked off the muffler and welded a straight pipe in it's place. The truck was unbearably loud but I was getting better mpg unbeknownst to me. I was getting 17.5-18 mpg with the rigged straight pipe, when I had a stock muffler put back on (again because of the unbearable noise) I promptly lost 1.5-2 mpg. I am now back at what all the reviews say is normal for the hemi at 16mpg hwy. Now I realize as with my motorcycles that if I put the pedal to the metal I will definitely lower my mpg with the performance mods. I got 11-11.5 mpg towing the Argosy 24 home from MI. at 65-70 mph. I'm looking to get up to 19-20mpg hwy empty and 13-14 towing the Argosy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, if it doesn't work I'll be spending a lot of time keeping my wife distracted as I stop at gas stations more than would be expected. I will have to employ the kids help in order to achieve this as my wife is quite swooft.

Heinlein
Old 11-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
Durham , Maine
I have tried the K@N performance filter kit, the throttle body spacer, and the Superchips computer programming and my 2000 Ram never improved MPG or necessarily power. However after dropping the spacer and the filter kit, using just the computer milage stayed the same if not slightly better. The best advantage to the Superchips was reprogramming the trans. shift points which really comes in handy when towing the airstream.....did well in the mountains this summer....I needed something to justify spending the money to my better half
Old 12-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Good Reliable Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
This is not making me feel good. I just spent a thousand bucks on these products after reading about a lot of different options and if I don't get better mpg from them I know a little lady that is going to be boxing my ears for a long time to come.
Been using a Banks Powerpack on our 7.4 "95" Burb since new. Could not

be more pleased. Stainless headers and exhaust, cold air intake. Up to

3mpg improvement over 160k, plus a very noticeable performance

improvement across the board...your mods should help.

My biggest problem was keeping my right foot off the floorboards.

Banks Power Systems

Even if you haven't used Banks products, there's a lot of great info there.

Good Luck

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Since an engine is nothing more than a big pump, anything you do to increase the intake effeciency as well as the exhaust will net horsepower and slightly improve mileage. I have K&N filter chargers on several vehicles along with catback exhaust systems. Even replacing a stock air filter with a reusable K&N element will help. Since most late model trucks have a tow/haul button, I'm not sure I would go the reprograming/chip route.

The engine shown here started life in 1931 with 40HP It's now putting out over 120HP. FYI, you could build three small block Chevrolets for the same price as building a good Model A engine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-007S.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	50536  
Old 12-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
On a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi, we installed a cold air intake, headers with crossover, and a dual outlet cat back system, all from Mopar performance. This exhaust upgrade required replacement of the catalytic converters, also available from Mopar but not mentioned until the third page of the header installation instructions. Oh yeah - and chrome valve covers. Final cost to the customer - $4700.

Before ordering, we contacted the techs at Mopar performance to find out what horsepower, torque and fuel mileage gains could be expected. They said we would get a 45 to 50 hp gain but they did not have the torque or mpg figures. The headers provided the biggest share of the hp gain.

Installation went smoothly enough, with the exception of having to wait two extra days for the converters that we did not initially order. The exhaust note is only a little louder than stock - until you accelerate hard and then it really "roars to life." The horsepower gain is pretty obvious. The fuel mileage is exactly the same as before.

The owner of this truck does not tow. But I talked with someone who made the exact modifications to a similar Hemi truck that does. He too was impressed with the power gain when not towing, but was disappointed to find that he really couldn’t tell much difference when towing. This is just my repeating what he said. If true, there must not have been a significant increase in torque or it is not at the rpm that he needs it. His fuel mileage did not improve either.

Roger