Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Money spent=$1,000.00
Desired MPG gain=2-3MPG's
Current gasoline price=$2.89
Return on investment period=Your wife is going to kill you!
I can't remember what the numbers are now but I believe I figured that I would have to drive another 60,000 miles before I would see any savings. I am already starting to think I made a mistake. I starting to think I should have only gone with the exhaust I bought and not the rest. I am going to give it a little while longer and see how it tows to the canopener and back. If I don't see much improvement in mileage I will take off the breather throttle body spacer and sell them and the tuner to another likely sucker similar to myself.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #44
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey if you get a 2 MPG gain on vehicle that got 20 MPG before the mods, that is a 10% gain in MPG. Actually that is huge. A ten percent gain in economy.

However it would be a tough sell on the showroom floor. Add another $1000 to the sales price. A significant number of buyers would likely go across the street to get a $1000 better price. And spread over 100,000 miles that would be a savings of $1314 assuming fuel at $2.89 a gal.

My point above is, if you don't know what economy you were getting before you started, you have no basis to find out what results you got after the mods. ~ Just a guess and the feel in your seat. I for one am not moved by the feelings of another to spend money on a mod. Nor am I moved by advertisements put out by manufacturers on how great the improvements may be for me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
We were all taught wrong.

Hi, as per gas mileage, [MPG] we were all taught wrong. We were taught to figuer how far we could go on one gallon of fuel; And how far we could travel on one tank of fuel. So, if we can go 400 miles on a 20 gallon tank, then we are getting 20 miles per gallon. Great! Right!............ No.

Miles per gallon is secondary to the correct way to figuer fuel mileage. The true way to figuer mileage is, to figuer, Miles Per Dollar. [MPD] $$$$$$$$$$ That is the bottom line. The oil companies don't want you to figuer miles per Dollar. But in reality that is what really matters; How many dollars will my next trip cost me?

In my younger years my cars got a whole 8 MPG and I paid as little as 25 cents for that gallon; It's a whole different ball game now.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
Hey if you get a 2 MPG gain on vehicle that got 20 MPG before the mods, that is a 10% gain in MPG. Actually that is huge. A ten percent gain in economy.

However it would be a tough sell on the showroom floor. Add another $1000 to the sales price. A significant number of buyers would likely go across the street to get a $1000 better price. And spread over 100,000 miles that would be a savings of $1314 assuming fuel at $2.89 a gal.

My point above is, if you don't know what economy you were getting before you started, you have no basis to find out what results you got after the mods. ~ Just a guess and the feel in your seat. I for one am not moved by the feelings of another to spend money on a mod. Nor am I moved by advertisements put out by manufacturers on how great the improvements may be for me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I know what fuel mileage I was getting before the mods. It's not hard to figure out how many miles I must drive the vehicle after learning post mod economy before I have paid for the investment. I usually keep my vehicles for a very long time so if I save a few hundred dollars during the life of my vehicle it's worth it to me, any savings is better than none. I made the purchase based on lots of material read and on information received from engineers who helped design the products( I pay almost no attention to advertising of any kind, like I said after reading their info I cut their claimed gains from a half to a quarter) and on a calculated risk. Yes I know it was a risk that might or might not pay off considering I had no empirical evidence. Like I said the seat of the pants feeling of power means little to me as I wasn't after more power, just better gas mileage. I will let everyone know how much if any gain I get from these mods with no bias, if I end up looking like an idiot for wasting money so be it at least I can save other people on here from making the same mistakes. I would say at the very least there is value in that.

Heinlein
Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
The true way to figuer mileage is, to figuer, Miles Per Dollar. [MPD] $$$$$$$$$$ That is the bottom line.

It's a whole different ball game now.
Yes... In 1972 I bought a nice two year old high performance car for $3,000. Gas then was 52 cents a gal.

In 2005 I bought a two year old high performance car for $30,000. Gas today is $5.20 a gal.

Both gas and vehicles have increased 10 times in 33 years. The only difference is the vehicle in 1972 with a 6 litre engine averaged 12 MPG and the 2003 vehicle with a 3.5 litre engine averages 23 MPG.

In reality the fuel used today per dollars spent is half of what it was 33 years ago. The other bonus today is that the 2003 vehicle is so much better than that 1970 's vehicle. What is everyone complaining about???
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
I can't remember what the numbers are now but I believe I figured that I would have to drive another 60,000 miles before I would see any savings. I am already starting to think I made a mistake. I starting to think I should have only gone with the exhaust I bought and not the rest. I am going to give it a little while longer and see how it tows to the canopener and back. If I don't see much improvement in mileage I will take off the breather throttle body spacer and sell them and the tuner to another likely sucker similar to myself.
While you were looking for a modest increase in mpg, so what if it remains the same as long as you end up with better throttle response and performance especially when towing! If it means less shifting of the transmission and ability to pull long hills then that is a plus in my book.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
While you were looking for a modest increase in mpg, so what if it remains the same as long as you end up with better throttle response and performance especially when towing! If it means less shifting of the transmission and ability to pull long hills then that is a plus in my book.
Well my camper only weighs in at 3300-3400 lbs so I was really having no trouble towing and didn't notice any shifting issues but we will see how it goes on our trip to the canopener.

Heinlein
Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
mrmossyone,

If increased fuel mileage was the only reason for the upgrades, then I expect you're correct in assuming it will take too long to pay off to justify the expense. But...

If a couple times a week you can show up some slouchy (insert some other brand name truck here) at an intersection, or give a big tailpipe roar as you out pull them on a grade or just look cool at the drive-thru and get it in your head that each time you do that it's worth - well, let's say a buck - then hey, you'll have your money back in um uh - OK, lets say you do that twice a day, then you'll hit payback in less than two years. Works for me.

Or you could sell all your mods on ebay (keep the exhaust) and spend the proceeds here. About Fuelstar fuel saving products for petrol, LPG and diesel engines This thing is after all "scientifically proven."

Happy New Years!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #51
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I Love Sience

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
mrmossyone,

Or you could sell all your mods on ebay (keep the exhaust) and spend the proceeds here. About Fuelstar fuel saving products for petrol, LPG and diesel engines This thing is after all "scientifically proven."

Happy New Years!
WERKS GRATE ON MY LAUNMOVER

Even better on the 95 Burb!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HAHA SHAKEDOWN 014.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	51648  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
mrmossyone,

If increased fuel mileage was the only reason for the upgrades, then I expect you're correct in assuming it will take too long to pay off to justify the expense. But...

If a couple times a week you can show up some slouchy (insert some other brand name truck here) at an intersection, or give a big tailpipe roar as you out pull them on a grade or just look cool at the drive-thru and get it in your head that each time you do that it's worth - well, let's say a buck - then hey, you'll have your money back in um uh - OK, lets say you do that twice a day, then you'll hit payback in less than two years. Works for me.

Happy New Years!
There is that, and your right it can be fun. Thanks for helping look at in a different light. Dang did I get a good deal or what.

Heinlein