Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Potential TV: Crew Cab FJ45 Toyota Land Cruiser??

Aside from the price - Would this make a good TV?? For towing a new(er) A/S 23FB FC? Would need to upgrade the hitch from the current class 2.

Any thoughts???

This truck sits upon a FJ45 chassis that was modified and restored with a disc brake front axle, and drum full floater rear axle. Old Man Emu 3/4 ton suspension, P/S, A/C. 5.3 fuel injected GM Vortec V8, 4L65E automatic with overdrive, to an FJ60 part time 4x4 transfer case. As new, with only 6400 miles since it was built. Stored in a temperature controlled indoor private collection.

Thanks!
~CLK
CLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
That's certainly an amazing vehicle! The only comment I can make with my limited knowledge of the subject is that every time a vehicle with a high suspension is considered for duty as a TV, it is always pointed out that the suspension needs to be lowered to have good stability in towing.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
That's certainly an amazing vehicle! The only comment I can make with my limited knowledge of the subject is that every time a vehicle with a high suspension is considered for duty as a TV, it is always pointed out that the suspension needs to be lowered to have good stability in towing.
That does sound/seem like a reasonable suggestion. However, assume that modification wouldn't be made, & for the most part (aside form an upgrade in hitch classification, a good hitch, wd, & sw bars) - The vehicle would be used for towing, as shown & described.

I'm curious what members think or the engine, suspension, etc - Is there enough power? Is the overdrive a 'good' thing? It's a 3/4 ton,... too stiff? How about the EMU suspension? The tires? What kind of coolant upgrades would be necessary?

The above, including the lift (HCoG) would not be change. So, as it is (w/the exception of hitch, sway & wd equipment) - How would it perform as a TV, for something like a new(er) 23FB FC, to be towed across all different terrain?

Cheers!
~CLK
Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My understanding of a good modern t.v. would be one that is stable in maneuvers and on the road before the trailer is hitched. It would have a short rear overhang, independent suspension, low center of gravity, relatively wide track, as well as a 5 or 6 speed transmission. This doesn't fit that description well. I doubt the frame would support the Airstream tongue weight, and that stiff suspension and long overhang would make weight distribution very difficult.

It would certainly be good in rough terrain, but getting there would be the problem. I wish I had it though for general use.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
OME suspension pieces are well done. I have had them on two Jeeps. The drivetrain would appear to be adequate. Knowing the weight of the vehicle -- not guesstimated -- would be important. A lifted vehicle is never a good TV, only a fair one.

I see no reason it can't do it (and it is quite attractive) yet it would be more important to outline what towing use it would see. Miles, days, etc. The more, then the poorer it would be, IMO. Small trailer and short trips, maybe OK. Slow, no matter what (COG and offroad tires).

Were it me I'd contact Andy Thomson at CAN AM RV and ask his opinion on setting up offroad vehicles as TV's. There's a pic somewhere around here of a JK pulling a fair-sized A/S.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Will scratch it off the list.

Thanks for the replies & info - I appreciate it.

Cheers!
~CLK