Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Possible towing vehicle?

I am not really ready for a tow vehicle, but my friend is moveing to Florida and wants to sell his 1981 Chevy Silverado model 20 4x4. It has only 30,000 mile on a rebuilt 350 ci.. It also has a tow package(heavier springs, brake and light plugs, and 4.11 gearing). He only wants $2,000.00 it is in pretty good shape except for needing paint. Would this truck be adequate for towing a 1969 sovereign 31', or would I be better off waiting for something better, closer to when I am ready to start towing?

Thanks,

Darin
darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I have a big block 456 w/ 4.11 rear and tow a 31 ft. International.
Never go over 55 mph, but it does slow down appreciably going up hills.
I would offer your friend some $ to try towing your trailer, then decide.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Why didn't I think of that. Maybe I will make him tow to Santa Cruz and back. If it can make those hills OK, there should not be much else it couldn't handle. I only hope my trailer could make the trip, time to kick those tires I guess.

Thanks,

Darin
darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

There aren't a lot of those left from that era - they had a tendency to dissolve. I believe that was the only series of trucks I ever saw rusting while still on the showroom floor. But if it hasn't rusted away by now, maybe it wouln't.

If everything is up to snuff - brakes, suspension, rear end, transmission, cooling system, etc., it should be a good match. Some people would insist on the big block, but a 350 in good tune should be more than adequate with the low rear end. And the 69 31' Sovereign is not all that heavy anyway.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Look up the official towing capacities with these specs.

4.11 gears help -- but restrict your top speed, worsen mpg (maybe by 1mpg) and are noisier, but it may be worth it. I wish I had 3.55 instead, but 4.11 definitely increases your towing capacity. Easier to go up hill too.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'd wait on a 1988 or newer 2500 Chevy if it were me. The '70's definately had a tendency to rust around wheel well openings, front quarter panels and underneath doors. I know, I had a '77 Chevy K5 Blazer which did all this. As far as the 350 V8 goes, my '92 Z71 with 5 sp. manual trans, 3.42 rear end ratio and 350 V8 was a dream on the street but a dog pulling my empty 31' Excella 500 '77 model. The only way I would go with a small block with your trailer would be if the 350 had been built with a stroker kit ending up with 383 cu. in. OR a 2500 with the 6 litre engine. A 3.73 rear or 4.10 rear would be the only ratios to consider and a good source says the 4.10 with the 6 litre Chevy engine is a sweet combination with the 4.10. By the way, 1987 was the first year for the TBI fuel injection in trucks and it was a dog until they finally got it right. I thought the 350 in my '92 was good until I drove a '95 which was better power wise.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 04:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Give it a shot

Hey, you lose 2 grand in depreciation driving a new truck off the dealer's lot! Figure on another $1500 to "fluff it up", brakes, exaust, good brake controller etc. and it should give you a couple years if not more. You could throw it away and be ahead money wise but you can always sell it after you really have a grip on what you need/want! Fog
Fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote