Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #661
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Note that a single axle trailer like that pictured is NOT that sensitive to being dead level.

For a dual axle like mine, as close to dead level as possible when loaded is MUCH more important so as not to overload either the trailing (nose high) or leading (tail high) axle and its tires. It also has effects on braking efficiency, related to axle loading.

Torsion (WD) bar tension is what you are looking for to get proper weight distribution. Level is not important with them. I try to keep mine high at the rear ends to help keep mine from dragging. A lift kit is in my future...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #662
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Hi. Brand new member here.
I just purchased a 2018 Airstream International 23CB. WE are now going to buy its tow vehicle. I am 90% certain that we will be getting a "new" 2017 Touareg from the dealer. Is there any special accessory or package that we would need to add to the Touareg? It doesn't look like it thus far. I am guessing that we will need to add an aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller.
Any advice on the Touareg would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Gopher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #663
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher John View Post
I am 90% certain that we will be getting a "new" 2017 Touareg from the dealer. Is there any special accessory or package that we would need to add to the Touareg? I am guessing that we will need to add an aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller.
What engine? And does it have the factory tow package? If yes, then you'll need a brake controller. And of course a WD hitch set-up.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #664
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
Here is a great forum post on installing a brake controller in a Touareg. I pretty much followed it to install a Tekonsha P3 in my 2014 TDI. I'm guessing the newer T-Regs have the brake cable shoved up under the dash the same way.

https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...-135354-2.html

I found my connector wrapped in foam tucked up above the steering wheel. Once I found it the rest was easy.

When I sold the car I left the cable up in the dash, otherwise I could have made you a deal on a P3 and VW cable. I do have the P3, you just need a new generic cable to splice into the VW cable assembly.

I think the CB has too much tongue weight for the T-Reg since the published spec is 612 pounds, but I've covered those thoughts in other posts and just answer your specific question about what you need to get a brake controller installed.

I also ordered, and still have, a pair of the Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3 Towing Mirrors. They worked great on T-Reg mirrors, just make sure you disable the auto-fold on power off.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 AM   #665
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
Here is a great forum post on installing a brake controller in a Touareg. I pretty much followed it to install a Tekonsha P3 in my 2014 TDI.

Another option is to install the sister/cousin to the P3 unit - the Tekonsha RF wireless controller on your trailer A-frame, then all you have to do is use the wireless hand control unit in the cab plugged into a 12v round outlet. You can also switch it to any other TV - say if you had an emergency & needed to move the AS with another TV.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #666
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help on this thread, especially to Andy.

We recently got back from our 9 day road trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway with the new Touareg setup. It towed amazingly well. The Parkway is very curvy with tons of elevation changes and I felt in total control the entire time. The TDI has incredible power for towing, and even with the elevation changes I averaged about 15 mpg (post-fix) on the trip.

The only thing I need to tinker with is the charging line going to the TT. I confirmed it working, but sometimes it seemed not to be charging, I think my pigtail receiving on the Touareg might need some cleaning or replacement.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapseed (4).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	319760  
Old 12-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #667
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We tow with a Tundra now and I love it but it is HUGE. I see a Cayenne S in our future to tow our 5,000 lb 1966 Tradewind.

I wanted to join this thread.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2406.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	329712
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:20 AM   #668
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Just thought I would mention an alternative for those looking for a less expensive solution. Since 2015 we have had a Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand Cherokee) in our fleet. This vehicle pretty well loaded was 34,000 Canadian new around 26000 US. It has a 3.2 Litre V6 mated to a ZF 9 Speed transmission. 18x7” rims with 22/60 x18 tires independent suspension all around. A nice tight rack and pinion steering. I think it actually handles better than the Grand Cherokee. It’s not a Porsche but at less than half the price it’s 75% of the vehicle.

Last month we picked up the Jeep and a traded in 27 Signature in Vernon BC, wandered along the Oregon Coast for two days then to Oceanside near San Diego. We then went to a meeting in Palm Springs Returning home to Ontario along I 10.

For the long drive from Palm Springs home I would have preferred the quieter and smoother 300 but for touring the Coast the Jeep was great. It turns on a dime so I could drive into scenic lookouts small tows etc with reckless abandon.

I believe the steepest expressway climb in North America is the Coquihalla Pass in B.C. It climbed it in third gear 50 MPH at 4000 RPM (which is nothing for this engine) at 2/3’rds throttle. Average fuel economy was 12.5 mpg US which is great for a lot of stop and go hills and 70-75 MPH cruising Speed. AndyClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2905.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	329973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	329974

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #669
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Did you modify the hitch in any way?
Did you get the Limited model?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #670
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We strengthen the hitch similar to how we do VW. The former owner had 4 batteries in the front compartment and a heavy inverter as well as front AC and the spare tire so the hitch weight was 1320 on this one. We were pretty close to the axle limits lots of room to the tire capacity. There were only two of us in the Jeep so we were ok but I would normally reduce the hitch weight some for this combination.

It is the Limited model. We have 40,000 miles on it now most of that is towing often harder towing trailers than an Airstream. Here it is with a 28’ Lance about to enter the Eisenhower Tunnel west of Denver. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	329979

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #671
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Thanks Andy! I always love to see real life examples of how capable are SUVs
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #672
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Audi Q7 Owners - Any Steering Issues?

This question is for our Audi Q7 Owners - on behalf of a friend who just bought a new 2018 Q7 gas V6, who has wandering issues requiring constant steering inputs. This is in So FL/Miami area & without towing.

In the old days we'd check alignment by getting on a good straight section of road, set it running straight & take hands off the wheel an inch or so & see if it continues straight - if not, then there is a problem.

It sounds like they can't even do that, & this is after the dealership did a 4 corner alignment & says it's all to spec!

So - are there any known Steering Issues with wandering like that?

Is this endemic to the Audi Q7 getting a more cushy Luxe ride?

If so - what is the typical fix?

My buddy is a fellow PCA Porsche Club member, & also has a CayS up in NY, & has been an amateur SCCA racer for years - so he knows what it should feel like & perform/steer like.

TIA!

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 12-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #673
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Does he have the Lane Assist feature engaged?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #674
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Grooved pavement reacts differently with tires depending on tread design. Florida has a lot of it, in my experience.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #675
3 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
2011 Cayenne S

I just bought an '11 Cayenne S. It replaced my '99 Dodge Durango. So far I'm loving driving it but haven't pulled my 1964 22' Safari with it yet. I still need to install the brake controller. Interestingly, the official towing capacity of the Cayenne is about twice that of the Durango. I also pull the Airstream with my '64 Continental so it should be interesting to see how the Cayenne compares.
64Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #676
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Lincoln View Post
I just bought an '11 Cayenne S. It replaced my '99 Dodge Durango. So far I'm loving driving it but haven't pulled my 1964 22' Safari with it yet. I still need to install the brake controller. Interestingly, the official towing capacity of the Cayenne is about twice that of the Durango. I also pull the Airstream with my '64 Continental so it should be interesting to see how the Cayenne compares.

I think that we've seen your Lincoln/AS rig at the Pismo Rally before - cool set-up!

If you're coming to Ocean Mesa in March, then swing by to say Hi - but we'll be there with our new `70 Eriba Puck & `88 Westfalia, or come by at the May Pismo Rally (not sure which we'll bring there, but probably our `60 Avion T20 - Tom & Jana T.).

But before you drive your `11 CayS at all - make sure that the AH08 Recall on the Cam Adjuster Bolts has been done. If not, then call AAA & have it flatbed/towed to Niello Porsche to have it done immediately.

Don't believe the falsely benign description in Porsche's downplayed recall wording, that it's only causing a stalling problem, as that is total BS!

For the 2011 & 1st half+/- 2012 V8 Porsche owners of all Cayenne & Panamera models - this affects ALL V8s, & if/when the cam adjuster bolts snap, the cams run loose, & you'll lose the pump for power steering & brakes &/or fuel pump depending on which or both sides fail, plus the valves will hit the pistons because it's an "interference engine" & the cam bolt shards will run through & damage the engine - with the end result the engine stops or completely seizes & trashes the engine, which replacement is a $30K - $35K engine!

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V368#recalls360

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html

I'm also posting this as a warning to all V8 powered 2011-12 Cayenne & Panamera owners on here.

It certainly put a major crimp in our search for a nice low mile CayS during the extended time that Porsche ignored the problem & fought the recall here in the USA, after having issued recall way back in 2012 in China & Japan! The second link at 6speed above covers all that & how to ID the faulty adjuster part number (with pix), & a few of the people on there were instrumental in bringing the problem to NHTSA's attention & getting them to force the involuntary recall on Porsche.

As an alternative to mounting a Tekonsha or other brake controller inside your Cayenne under the dash - you can also mount the Tekonsha Prodigy RF on the front/A-frame of your AS & then just plug the hand controller into any 12V outlet in the cabin, & just keep it close at hand in your lap. We got one well in advance of getting a CayS for our 1960 Avion T20, & I feel it is much easier & safer to use, because you're not having to find & reach for a dash mounted brake booster button in a crisis, since the controller is on a curly cord & I keep mine in my lap.

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...RB508pViEKmVBf

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html

There are many other vendors that sell them, so check price. Install is an easy 1+/- hour, unless you need to make up a mounting bracket like I had to do due to our short & crowded A-frame with the Hensley Cub also mounted there (still 2 hours including the bracket, excluding time to buy some scrap steel plate). The attached pic shows my bracket, which I needed to raise the Tekonsha RF high enough to access/adjust the Hensley strut on that side.

PS - Apologies for the sideways pic, but it's normal orientation in my files!?

I think that you'll love the way your CayS tows, from the feedback on here, & from the people in the SoCal PCA Zone 8 that I know who tow with theirs.

You may want to join your local PCA Porsche club there in Sacra-tomato, now that you're an owner. It's a great deal of $46/yr for 2 memberships (you + spouse, kid, or ??), which includes a 12 month subscription to the excellent Panorama national magazine & to your local Region's ('chapter') magazine, & all sorts of free & modest cost local, Zone & national activities & events (here in OC Region we have 1-2+ events each week year round) - including group breakfasts/dinners/meals, car shows & Cars/Porsches-n-Coffee, drives & rallies, autocross & track events, tours, etc.

So you can get all sorts of extra fun out of your "new" Cayenne!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0520141120a.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	718.7 KB
ID:	331595  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #677
3 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1964 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
I was at Pismo a few years ago. I've also attended a number of other rallies since then. People who have seen me before probably won't notice but I just replaced my '64 Safari with another '64 Safari. The old one, though polished and and real nice looking from a distance, had had a bunch of damage and repairs in the past and needed a new floor and a whole lot more. I had replaced all the mechanical systems but was still looking forward to gutting her. I found another '64 Safari that had lived a blessed life. The body is very straight with no previous repairs and there's no rot. It's totally original down to the original Zolatone, drapes and even the shower curtain. It does need polish.

Thanks for the tip about the Cayenne cam bolts. All the checking I've done so far indicates there are no recalls for my Cayenne but I can't seem to find any confirmation that this has been done. One of the sites recommended just looking in the oil filler hole to check. I'll do this later today.

I saved my Tekonsha Brake Controller from my Durango. I was planning on installing it in the Cayenne. As long as I can find those wires up under the dash, it should be an easy install. I already have the same brake controller in the Lincoln. That one I had to wire myself as Lincoln didn't do pigtails for trailer brakes back then.

I may join the local Porsche Club. I already belong to a number of other car clubs. One of the members of the Early Ford V-8 Club is also a Porsche Club member. I'm having a great time driving the Porsche. It drives so well.
64Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #678
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Lincoln View Post
I was at Pismo a few years ago. I've also attended a number of other rallies since then. People who have seen me before probably won't notice but I just replaced my '64 Safari with another '64 Safari. The old one, though polished and and real nice looking from a distance, had had a bunch of damage and repairs in the past and needed a new floor and a whole lot more. I had replaced all the mechanical systems but was still looking forward to gutting her. I found another '64 Safari that had lived a blessed life. The body is very straight with no previous repairs and there's no rot. It's totally original down to the original Zolatone, drapes and even the shower curtain. It does need polish.

Thanks for the tip about the Cayenne cam bolts. All the checking I've done so far indicates there are no recalls for my Cayenne but I can't seem to find any confirmation that this has been done. One of the sites recommended just looking in the oil filler hole to check. I'll do this later today.

I saved my Tekonsha Brake Controller from my Durango. I was planning on installing it in the Cayenne. As long as I can find those wires up under the dash, it should be an easy install. I already have the same brake controller in the Lincoln. That one I had to wire myself as Lincoln didn't do pigtails for trailer brakes back then.

I may join the local Porsche Club. I already belong to a number of other car clubs. One of the members of the Early Ford V-8 Club is also a Porsche Club member. I'm having a great time driving the Porsche. It drives so well.

Unless your 2011 Cay is a V6, then it is definitely part of the recall, since all V8s from 2011 MY have the defective bolts. You can look in the capped hole in the valve cover, tap the starter to turn the cams to show the part number on tom, but you'll need a dental or small mirror to read the number - p/n ending in .021 is the bad one (full instructions are in the 6speedonline link).

Or just call the techs at Niello Porsche to have them check per the VIN, but don't let them delay you on getting it done - it's serious! They're supposed to give you a loaner of equal type too, but you could also use that to try out a Macan S.

Sounds like you found a sweet "new" 64! Our Avion is #2 T20 off the line, but it's had resto/renovation work done & zolotone, etc., so not as original as yours.

There should be a pigtail wire in the glove box for the brake controller (or maybe that's only on the older 955/957 Cays 2003-10??), but you can get the parts from Porsche if it's gone missing.

BTW Sunset Porsche in OR & Suncoast Porsche in FL have about the best Porsche parts prices online for what you may need with it's ownership, plus PCA members usually get 10-15% discount on parts & accessories from all dealers (but theirs is usually 15-20%+ at their online store). You can also use their prices to negotiate with the local dealers, or buy & have them shipped to the local P-dealer if they won't price match.

That Tekonsha RF is really handy when you have multiple TVs, because you just move the hand held controller between them & plug into the cigarette lighter/12V round socket, pair it up once per TV, & then you just hook-up & go thereafter. So if you ever need to replace your 2, look into that RF option, &/or if you want easier boost button access in the Lincoln.

So the RF would've been 1 controller on the trailer A-frame for you (& moved to the new 64 AS, etc.) - rather than 2 for at each TV, & about 1/2 the price. Functionally the under dash & RF Tekonshas work the same & are the same innards, except for the added RF component & handset.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 03-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #679
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Upgrading to 25ft with a Cayenne
Dear lovely members / airstream enthusiasts,

I am a current owner of a 23ft corner bedroom flying cloud. We love it so far, but finding the bedroom cramped. The 25ft front bedroom model best meets our needs.

My tow vehicle is 2014 Porsche Cayenne GTS. Now using stabilize bar. It has been working great and smooth towing.

What about upgrade to the 25ft model? The airstream dealer is not sure it’s a good idea since the tongue weight rating for the cayenne is 617. And the airstream 25ft hitch weight is 800s.

I am reading that some are towing 25ft with similar SUV to cayenne such as Q7.

Advice pls! Ideas? Ok idea to upgrade ? Any one out there with cayenne and 25ft AS?

What hitch/weight distribution system would you recommend? Any risk of damage to the cayenne?

Thanks!
Cayenne-airs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #680
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

Removed.
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote