Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #321
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I was hoping to get a new Treg TDI someday. Looks like that is not going to happen any time soon so we kept our GX 470.
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #322
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernVista View Post
I tow a 28' with a 2012 Cayenne S. I got advice from Andy at Canam and some components from them and so far it's great.

What components did Can Am recommend?

caw
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #323
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
I was hoping to get a new Treg TDI someday. Looks like that is not going to happen any time soon so we kept our GX 470.

It's a shame that VW lost our trust like that.

News outlets are reporting we're getting $5k for each affected vehicle. Still not enough I think.

Since the fix for some is an increase in ad blue mix at the exhaust would like to see free ad blue for life. Just a thought.

caw
Old 04-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #324
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
An update to DieselGate:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...in-5-questions

caw
Old 04-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #325
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Syracuse , New York
DieselGate

So I get that many are unhappy but I love my T-reg TDI and VW gave me $1000 so far. I checked on KBB and a TDI is still worth ~$5k more than a gas T-reg.

I'm not thrilled with VW's actions but if they give me another $2-5k, I'd be very happy. To me it's just free $$$ and as long as I don't have to sell my TDI back, it's all good for me.

AdBlue is about $4 a gallon so free AdBlue for life isn't much to speak of - free oil changes, now that's something more substantial.

Matt
mhutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #326
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Agreed. For the Cayenne, I am expecting something more than just a key chain or more years warranty. 5K would be great, would love it Oil changes for free would be great (they are pricey)... If they stop selling the Diesels for a while now, I am expecting that they will not go down in price but rather the opposite. But I am not thinking of selling - we have just 25K on our Pepe and love the car, everything about it...

Just got new shoes, Nitto Grapplers V2. The first set lasted 25K miles. Did I mention that this car is either towing or offroading
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #327
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
[IMG][/IMG]
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #328
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
[IMG]http://DSC_5721.jpg
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #329
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchinson View Post
So I get that many are unhappy but I love my T-reg TDI and VW gave me $1000 so far. I checked on KBB and a TDI is still worth ~$5k more than a gas T-reg.

I'm not thrilled with VW's actions but if they give me another $2-5k, I'd be very happy. To me it's just free $$$ and as long as I don't have to sell my TDI back, it's all good for me.

AdBlue is about $4 a gallon so free AdBlue for life isn't much to speak of - free oil changes, now that's something more substantial.

Matt

That's kind of what we're worried about - getting forced to sell back our Treg. Well not worried just carefully watching what VW does.

Agree with the cost wrt adblue but it's a direct relationship to how the could fix the emissions issue by increasing the amount of adblue that is injected into the system in order to reduce the particulates in the exhaust. So as a direct corollary to the fox that would be the next logical choice of compensation.

But I would love free oil changes for life too

caw
Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #330
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
If they stop selling the Diesels for a while now, I am expecting that they will not go down in price but rather the opposite.

That good ole market price does wonders

caw
Old 06-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #331
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
Toureg TDi

I am seriously interested in trading up my 2014 Passat TDi for a Toureg TDi now that we are closing in on the buy back / compensation program. My 20-ft Flying Cloud is rated at 5,000/631lb (towing/tongue) while the Toureg is rated at 7,700/617lb.

Any thoughts on the tongue rating issue would be greatly appreciated. What is the best way to contact Can-Am?
2011Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #332
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Cloud View Post
I am seriously interested in trading up my 2014 Passat TDi for a Toureg TDi now that we are closing in on the buy back / compensation program. My 20-ft Flying Cloud is rated at 5,000/631lb (towing/tongue) while the Toureg is rated at 7,700/617lb.

Any thoughts on the tongue rating issue would be greatly appreciated. What is the best way to contact Can-Am?
http://www.canamrv.ca/contact-us/

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #333
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:

The Europeans use an 8% tongue rating for tongue weight, that's where the 616 lbs tongue weight came from. In the US, we use a 10% rating which would put you at a 770 lbs tongue weight. A Touareg OEM hitch can handle the weight and the TDI can pull the load.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #334
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:

I also am looking around, ready to react when the offer comes. When I bought my 2015 Passat TDI, my plan was to enjoy for a couple of years until retired, then trade up to Touareg TDI, plus AS 23 and travel. Then all this happened. Since the 2015 Passat does have a DEF container, hoping we are not simply offered andengineering re-programing (if possible), but the choice of that or a direct buyout rumored to be the only option for earlier models. I would probably choose a cash buyout over repair, as it would resolve trade-in issues on the next purchase and with those repairable models VW could then sell as used rather than scrap. The other big problem, I don't see any Touareg TDI available as apparently being held back until the issue with the 3.0 is resolved. Are they even in the country, or will the pipeline have to be filled? That may relegate me to the #2 choice, either the Jeep GC diesel or Ram 1500 diesels.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #335
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
. . . That may relegate me to the #2 choice, either the Jeep GC diesel or Ram 1500 diesels.
That's how it went for us this spring. We have had two Jetta TDI's, still have one and they have been extraordinary cars, saved us a bundle on fuel costs over the past 15 years. Our 2006 TDI looks and drives like new.

We had waited for the Touareg TDI problem to be resolved for several months. Never happened and no reliable predictions if or when it would. We went shopping for Jeep GC EcoD and Durango Hemi models, however they could not even come close to the discounts and incentives of the Ram EcoD, so we bought one. It's fantastic, I like the shorter wheelbase of the SUV's much better, but otherwise the Ram is serving us very well.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #336
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Orlando , Florida
thanks Mojo for explaining the difference in European and US tongue weight capacity calc's, just another fact domestic VW dealers are clueless about.

Doug, I have been eyeing the MB diesel Sprinter passenger van with 5000/500lb tow/tongue ratings. any thoughts on matching up the Sprinter with my flying cloud 20ft (5000/630lb)? drove a Roadtrek Sprinter 11,000 miles last summer and can't stop thinking about that 3L diesel.

tizeye - I'll let you know if I decide to purchase a 2014/2015 Touareg TDI in central Fla area. seems that owners here are not discounting them yet.
2011Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #337
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
2011 Cloud - Looks like we are neighbors. I also am impressed with the MB Sprinter chassis, but wasn't thinking of a 20 FC as the towed vehicle. That 5000lb limit is an issue with the Sprinter chassis - and that weight limit is consistent among RV manufacturers using that chassis. Even the GVW 5300lb Jeep diesel as a toad on an Interstate exceeds it and if went the toad route would be forced to something on the F450 V10 gasser chassis and it's typical 8000lb tow rating. Thanks but no thanks.

While I wasn't thinking used on the TDI Tourareg, it appears that VW is applying the same "no sale" policy as the 2.0 TDI vehicles, relegating them to the back lot as non-performing inventory - both new and used - until the issue is resolved. I tried to do a web search on the VW site to see what was available, and the search menu has totally removed diesel engine as a search limit. That said, there is no reason for Touareg owners to sell, other than independently, unless absolutely have to, as they are going to take a huge hit if dealers can't sell them. Even if non-VW dealers continue to sell them, they will use the scandal issues and elusive "auction prices" as a reason to lowball a trade. (I use to work at Lexus of Orlando and have seen used car managers in action,) When VW finally lifts the "no sale", there will be a lot of new 2015's coming off the back lot, but nothing in the pipeline to resupply.

While you already have the trailer, I am looking at the combo, purchasing one to support the other. While I would love a truck for other reasons, wife ultimately becomes the decision maker after an Workmans Comp ACL repair, she has no cartilage in one of her knees, so stepping up into a truck - particurally 3/4 ton - could be an issue. With the Jeep/Touareg you sit over which she likes about her Fiat 500, as opposed to my Passat where you sit down in. One option in my combo purchase decision is the Class B/C Sprinter chassis RV would rule out the 4x4 Jeep and either dolly tow her (automatic) Fiat 500, or getting something 4 wheel towable like the Ford Fusion Hybrid or Chev Malibu, both of which you sit down in but are in the 3500-4000 GVW range. Of course the other option on Class C would be to get the Jeep/Touareg with on of the V10 gassers. Even at 8 mpg, the approx. $30,000 priced difference to the Sprinters would more than cover it even with gassers later taking more of a trade-in hit if for no other reason than oversupply in the used market. Decisions, decisions.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #338
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
P/V/A TDIs

I'm still seeing the Porsche Cayenne TDIs FS with a 6 yr./100k mi warranty at the Porsche dealers, as well as from independents without the CPO (although Porsche supposedly extended them all to max 10yr/100k CPO to cover the issues long term).

There was one newly listed on Car Guru's at a P-dealer in the Southeast (AL) just this morning IIRC.

So maybe go upscale on a low mile cream puff 2013-15 used .... er, excuuuuuse me! .... "pre-owned" Cayenne TDI & hope for better customer care from Porsche, than VW/Audi are doing now with their "Ostrich Act"!?

Can't beat the bigger brakes, better more sway resistant suspension & goodies of a Cayenne!

I'm still looking at the V8 gasser CayS myself, since I don't want to mess with the diesel stuff, nor any Cal ARB/DMV smog check issues in 5-10 years ..... but might just get swayed for the right one at the right price.

Another issue on the Sprinter - or any van as a TV, is the larger frontal area creating more aerodynamic drag for the engine to overcome. IMHO the lower sleeker SUV or pick-up will retain more "usable" HP & TQ.

Good Luck with your searches guys!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:51 PM   #339
ARF
ARF

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Breckenridge , CO
Mud flaps for Audi Q5?

We will be towing our new AS with our Audi Q5 TDI. (Yes - our rig will be setup by CanAm.) I welcome experience-based recommendations on the following:
  • Should I install mud flaps?
  • If so, on just rear wheels or all four wheels?
  • Use genuine Audi mud flaps or is there a better after market mud flap?

Thanks, Allen
ARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #340
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Arf,

I have towed a 25FB for about 6K miles with a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI. Your Q5 has the same engine and you will be very happy with the power. My one concern would be the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the Q5. Not sure if that will be a problem with the bigger and heavier 27 or not. For mudflaps I would get a set of Rock Tamers that mount to the hitch. I learned the hard way that regular mud flaps just don't do the job well.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote