Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
OK Forum Webmaster & IT folks - I've tried 4x to upload 2 pix to this post & Knuff tried some in his post above - but I only got "upload failed" messages! So you've got some problem with the website not accepting uplaods which you need to fix!

Tim -

I agree that the silver 2015 F150 is a great match - if they could just offer it in unpainted polished aluminum for us silver trailer types!

Your TDI is in the later Cayenne body style (i.e.: Series 3) with the lower sloped roof line at the rear (vs. the earlier 2004-2010 body styles), which I assume is why you say the visibility is better in the Honda?

A higher scootability rating for the Honda tho surprises me, unless you mean due to turbo-lag!?

Knuff -

Your hitch mods pix didn't come thru on your post above either, so you may want to re-post them later, after they fix this problem.

FYI - the Porsche factory tow bar option on the 928's (made by ORIS) likewise had a flat bar strut forward to the unibody hard point below the rear seat (but oriented vertically to resist bending, but that wouldn't help your clearance issue).

So I think you're probably right about being okay on your flat bar option. Likewise, a good idea to bolt it on for reversibility, & in order to work on that sub-frame if ever necessary.

It may still be an out for either an original or CPO Porsche warranty, maybe not for something like a Fidelity Warranty (they apparently underwrite VW's & maybe Porsche's CPOs as well as their own).

What we want to find -

This is a spliced pic of 2 pix - L is a 2006 Cayenne S Titanium Ed. in that Iceland Silver (light silvery-blue metallic) 1/2 year color used from June-Dec 2006 (filling in for the no-2007 model until the Jan 2007 early release of the 2008 Series 2 with the 4.8L V8) - & spliced to our 1960 Avion when it was hitched to a rented Pathfinder & parked by our house.

If we don't find one in this color in good condition/low miles/updates & fixes done - then we're also looking at the 2008-10 Series 2 4.8L Cay-S's in either the darker metallic blue, silver, dark gray metallic, tan/gold metallic (I'm using the generic color names, rather than the official Porsche color names, since they changed them between MYs).

So the 1st pic is not our actual Cayenne+Avion rig in the pic below, but what we hope to find. I did it to show my wife to make sure that she'd like the look with "her cute little trailer" before I started searching for Cay-S's!

The 2nd pic is from the 1960 sales brochure for the then new 1961 MY T20, & this could be our actual T20 since it's #2 off the line & originally had that type rear bumper & the interior color is a match, & since they used early production examples for these type of brochures. I show that so you can see what it will look like when again polished, which I won't start until I can set up our fabric garage/canopy for protection!

NOTE - the website is currently not taking downloads as noted above, so I'll have to try again later when fixed, or add them to a later new post!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Tom T

My Cayenne is actually a Q7. That might explain the roof line.

On flat anyways, The Acura TSX is faster 0-60MPH with my 16' trailer than the Q7 based on a seat of the pants measurement. I'm sure the Q7 will dust it in a 45-75MPH range though.

This is because: Turbo Lag, Engine Spinup Time(Mass), and being 2000 lbs heavier. Taller tires and front profile of a brick are smaller factors.

If you don't believe me pull up one of the youtube videos of the Mercedes GL getting on the highway with a 25-28' airstream and notice the actual elapsed time. (hint: you could get a soda).

Once you're at speed it's all good and you can call down to the engine room for unlimited torque.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #100
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Tim - that's hilarious!

Hmmm ..... long run up getting on the freeway, lotsa weight or mass to get rolling, brick-like front end - 3 things which I'm well acquainted! ... see pic below!

I've been driving a 1988 VW Vanagone Westy since new for 27+ years - & it's been certifiably 0-60 in 30 minutes, maybe 29.5 - so I do know exactly what you mean .... er, well, except for that reserve of torque thing!!??

... "TQ - we don't need no stinking TQ" is a common VW van owner saying!

Got it on the Q7 too, I didn't really blow up the pic & my eyes are old!

Happy Fathers' Day! ... & to all the Dads out there too!
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0614150938.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	767.0 KB
ID:	241258  

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #101
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Tom_T, we went from a San Diego converted Honda Element Pop Top (aka ECamper) = the original Knuff, to a 2002 Eurovan Pop Top "Zottel", via the FC now the 25FB. It has been an "upgrade" feast over the last 10 years. Having two large dogs and a wife with more than one pair of shoes, it has been a trip. The journey is the goal...
Our knacking point came when 150+ miles gravel in Southern Utah just bounced the heck out of our VW (and I am not a slow mover on gravel ). But I hear you - GoWesty!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00080.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	241259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04588.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	241260  

Name:	DSC06923.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	241261   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07260.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	241262  

Name:	IMG_2378.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	241263  
Old 06-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #102
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Love your Westy Tom! Looks very clean. These are hard to find in this condition, I'm trying though.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-22-2015, 05:26 AM   #103
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Upgrade fest indeed! All nice rigs! I'm kinda most partial to the 20 though...

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 06-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #104
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Nice string of camping rigs Knuff! I didn't even know they made a Honda Element Pop-top. The Cayenne looks great pullin' the silver twinkies too! That's one of the colors we like as well.

Wife's shoes heck! We packed for 2 kids, wife & I for 2-4 weeks XC CA> OK,AR,IN,PA,WVa or CA> OR/WA/BC every summer, & shorter trips throughout the year when the kids were still home.

And I used to tent camp out of my 73 914-2.0 for the 10 years it was my DD - clothes & gear for 2 in 2 trunks totaling 16 CF (mid-engine helps)!

I keep my cars, so the 914 is #3, 85 BMW 325e #4, 88 Westy is #5 of 5 since I bought my 1st used car in Fall `69 - so I don't have my 68 Opel Kadette 2DR Notchback Sedan 1.1L #1 nor #2 69 Pontiac Ventura 4DR Hardtop 400ci V8 Auto! Latter would make a good vintage TV if I still had it & properly refurb'ed & equipped with HD everything to tow (it did had the optiuonal power disc/drum brakes) - a real gas hog though!

So our Cayenne S would only be my 6th car ... in almost 50 years of driving ... ever!
.... not counting the parental cars we drove when young, of course.

Subfan - it helps to be the original owner & carefully cared for all that time since 4/88, & then to throw a bunch of money at a 2013 resto/refurb! That's why it's in that condition.

Pic below is of my `73 914-2.0 "914S" of which I'm the 2nd owner since Dec `75 & I did a rolling resto/refurb of the body & all running gear/drivetrain in `80-83, then it was smacked by a ditz in a parking structure mashing F & R, then had been stored in my garage since June `85 - started disassembly in this pic, but now currently in a holding pattern for resto as of now, due to other projects, but hope to get into the shop later this year, with a Cay-S to tow it there!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0117101239 - cropped.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	241329  
Old 06-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #105
4 Rivet Member

What's all this pop-top van and sports car refurb talk about? Can't anyone hold an attention span on Eurocar towing diesels anymore? :-)
Old 06-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #106
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
What's all this pop-top van and sports car refurb talk about? Can't anyone hold an attention span on Eurocar towing diesels anymore? :-)
Just some past/current vehicle & history chit-chat by car nuts I suppose ....apologies!

But then, this is not the "Diesel only" thread anyway!

The V8 & V6 Gassers are also allowed in here from the Cay/Treg/Q7 clan too!

So how about some help with some C/T/Q specific issues related to towing & in general, as my make-peace offering for going OT? ....

Cayenne RennList Forum:

For those looking for help with the Cayenne, I found the RennList Cayenne Forums very helpful (with some relevance for Treg & Q7 too)....

Porsche Cayenne Forum - Rennlist Discussion Forums

C/T/Q Extended Warranties:

For those looking for a used C/T/Q not on a CPO warranty & want some coverage, this Fidelity Warranty was recco'd by several owners on here & RennList, since they actually underwrite the VW & possibly Porsche & Audi CPOs....

Fidelity Warranty Services - Home Page

No Rear Back-up Camera Option - try this:

This aftermarket RearCam was recco'd as a great quality plug-n-play unit for the Cayenne by a retired Porsche Service Tech on RennList for Porsche Cayennes not equipped with one (you can use the make/model/MY/etc. drop-down menus to reselect for others like Q7, Treg, etc.)....

https://www.navtv.com/products/make/..._2006_usa.html

Dealers & independents familiar with Cayennes can install them, or self-install if your talented enough.

No Factory Tow Option - No Problem, Add it:

And the place to get your official genuine Porsche 955 Cayenne tow option parts - if you're retrofitting the Cayenne, but at a decent price (they're a FL Porsche dealer parts dept.). IIRC it has to be a post mid-04 Cayenne to add one after the fact, but confirm this on the forums.

You'll need the dealer to reprogram the Cayenne to implement the factory settings (trans shift mapping, EFI power mapping, etc.) & so the Cay will "recognize" when it's hitched & automatically engage the towing mode.

Towing System: Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories

You can also use their price to negotiate the parts price with your local dealer installing it, or get the parts yourself for them to install. They seem to want to quote $2000-2500 at the SoCal P-dealers, but with this part (or price matching) they'll come down to the $1000-1500 range.

If someone offers you to install an aftermarket hitch, then it's my understanding that none of the Porsche towing functions will integrate & work as designed, although I'm aware that some folks do so & still tow. I'd prefer to use the proper parts & have it installed per the factory, both to ensure it functions as advertised & maintains vehicle value.

There! I hope I have redeemed myself for my prior OT auto chit-chat discussion.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 06-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Ok all - perhaps we can com back to the original intention of this thread to share experiences among people who actually use a Cayenne/Audi/Touareg or similar SUVs for towing.
I drove all the above Diesel SUVs and towed with several including the JGC and settled on the 2014 ML350 3.0 BlueTec. I can say for 25' and under it is my humble obviously biased opinion the ultimate for ride quality, handling, braking, pulling, load handling as equipped with CanAm reinforcement and Pro-Pride. Since then I have gone back to the 3/4 Diesel for the 30' Bunk, which every time I tow I am longing for the comforts of the ML. With the exception of the JGC, of which I did not have a good test tow experience, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above properly setup.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #108
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I rarely go to Porsche events except our local Girls in Porsches luncheon we have monthly. Just do not have time for all this stuff, Airstream, photography, historical railroading, race circuits, and others stuff.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 WBCCI #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #109
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
What are the Cayenne TV folks doing for a full size spare for the Cayenne?

..... or are most folks just comfortable with the stock space saver spare?

I personally cannot see towing with a space saver, so that means unhitching & leave the TT, while you go find/buy a replacement tire for the flat.

MsMoto ... sounds like you have a full plate Tommie!

TIA for any Input!
Tom
///////
Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #110
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
I bought an extra wheel on ebay, and have a full size spare that is stored under the dinette in the back of the airstream in a nice bag. The tiny space saver spare does not have the load capacity to handle the trailer. We also take the Pepe out a lot on gravel roads, when not hooked up (we move the spare into the back of the car) - and I feel better with having a full size spare with us.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #111
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Same as Knuff, full size spare stored under the dinette, move to TV when camping. I remove the space saver from the TT also since I'm towing with 3 people in the Cayenne (gives you about 40 lbs extra payload in the TV).
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #112
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Thanx Knuff & Ohiobrits,

I assumed that the temp collapsible spare was not load rated for that.

Over time too, there may not be any replacement tires for the compact deflated spares as well!

I've seen in the Porsche Cayenne options lists over the years - a full size spare & carrier option - I assume it's the exterior swing-away rear rack that I've seen in pix on some of the offroader Cays in Panorama/Excellence/R&T/etc.

Anyone with experience with that factory full size spare/carrier set-up?

Are they still available from Porsche back to the Series 1 (03-06) & Series 2 (08-10) Cayennes? .... or is it a matter of hunting a used one down?

My other alternative - in addition to the spare in a bag under the dinette - would be to further adapt the rear cargo rack for our bikes & trailer spare, to carry 2 spares if it doesn't exceed the rack's wt. rating. It may be able to carry 1 @ L & 1 @ R on my underslung set-up, which then can also fold up with them vertical & facing out.

Being a single axle TT - the spare for it is also a needed precaution IMHO.

Also in preparation for our Cayenne S search - I've been reviewing the specs for the 2006 Series 1 4.5L Cayenne S & 08-10 Series 2 4.8L Cay S, & they apparently added a "Trailer Stability Control" feature to the PSM.

Does anyone have any experience between the 03-06 & 08-10 Cayennes to say whether that "Trailer Stability Control" is an advanced feature worth pushing us to only consider buying a used Series 2 Cay-S?

.... And, Yes - I do know about & will/have checked that any 2006 Cay S Titanium Ed. we look at has had the metal coolant pipes & ignition coils upgraded, & will check on all years/series that the Cardan Shaft/Mid-bearing, Front Lower Control Arms/Bushings, Water Pump & Timing Chain Tensioners, & other services have all been done in a religious & timely fashion!

Cheers!
Tom
///////