Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #841
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Dalton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
Is anyone out there towing with a 2015-18 or 2019-20 Cayenne S V6 TT &/or 3.0L T V6-PHEV?

I'm curious to hear how your experience with the following models:

2015-18 3.6L V6 TT CayS,

2015-18 3.6L V6 N.A. Base Cay,

2019-20+ 3.0L V6 T Base Cay,

2019-20+ 2.9L V6 TT CayS, &/or

2015-2020+ 3.0L V6 T-PHEV Cayennes when towing -

- in the areas listed below.

Please specify which model/year/engine Cayenne & what size/weight trailer that you have when answering.

1. Power & Engine Noise Level & ability to keep up speed when towing up long &/or steep grades?

2. Power & Engine Noise Level & ability to keep up speed when towing at freeway speeds?

3. Average MPG when towing on XC trips?

4. For the PHEV - Do you notice it working harder & ability to keep up speed on grades & at freeway speeds - once the battery is essentially exhausted & you're carrying it's battery/motor/etc. dead weight?

Background on my search -

I'd initially focused on getting the CayS normally aspirated V8 for best towing of our vintage 1960 Avion T20 (similar to AS, Silver Streak, etc. 20' class of the day), which weighs in at 3000-3500 lbs wet & loaded (depending on what we pack) - so well within the Cayenne's 7716 lbs. TWR.

Originally, we saw 80% of it's use would be in towing & maybe for some Porsche Club activities, otherwise using our other cars for daily use. Also, we've both retired now (me semi-ret.), & are now thinking that we'd use a Cayenne for more local pleasure & some daily use as well - so maybe 50:50 now.

But since Porsche dropped the N.A. V8 in the CayS after 2014, the latest of the V8s are getting long in the tooth, & harder to find a nice low mile one (i.e.: <60K). So they're fewer & farther between lately.

And with Porsche's quest for ever more performance with every new model update, even the Base V6s & PHEV V6 Turbo are getting close to the output of the original 955 era CayS V8 - & the TT V6 CayS surpasses even the last of the 2014 958.1 N.A. V8s - at least on paper.

So I'm looking for real world experiences from members on here with the newer V6 Cayenne 958.2 & whatever the 2019> is called now.

We got turned off on V6s back in 2012-13 we'd rented several different Nissan Pathfinders with their 4.0L N.A. V6 & Automatic Trans (the prior body on frame version) - which was a big V6, but it was constantly hunting for gears, & running noisily at high revs, & struggled a bit on moderate grades - e.g.: up I-5 from San Fernando Valley up to Valencia/Santa Clarita/Tragic Mountain Park area, & even US 101 up from Camarillo to Thousand Jokes, - if you know SoCal.

We just knew that it would've clearly been tortuous to try a XC trip back east with all the work that V6 was doing - even with our relatively modest weight trailer.

We've continued to rent pick-up trucks from Enterprise Truck Rentals since 2014, in part because we were only using it for 3-6 week or weekend vintage trailer rallies per year while my wife was working as a hospital nurse - & it was a lower cost to rent than own at that level of use.

We also haven't gotten one yet because we weren't finding or securing a decent CayS V8 at a reasonable price - & every PCA member selling theirs thinks theirs is worth twice the market & as much as 2-3 year newer ones sell for per KBB/NADA, & don't think that late model vehicles are depreciating assets losing value monthly - geesh!

I even had one PCA member sell his for $5K less than my best offer, about a month after I stopped with his constant renegotiating for 2 months! I mean really - who doesn't call back your last best offer to check if you can sell it for the rejected offer!? Geesh!

Anyway, I'd probably get the 3.0L Turbo V6 PHEV & install a fast charger here, if I was comfortable that it would still tow our trailer well & strong, without excessive noise - & otherwise with the Base 3.0L Turbo V6 or 3.6L or 2.9L TT V6 CayS if not enough power in the PHEV.

And while I like the 2019-20 Biscay Blue color of the latest Cayennes - I'm not a fan of the harder to use while driving glass-screen controls for audio & HVAC. Reviews say that radio/audio & climate controls are 2-3+ layers down just to access the on-screen controls!

So I prefer also having old school dials & knobs which you can use without taking your eyes off the road - as in the 2015-18 958.2 Cayennes, & we also like the Sapphire Blue on a few of the 2017-18 ones.

Also, the newer 2015> Cayennes are new enough to be at a lower <40-50K miles & more available with Porsche CPO warranties - than are the <2014 ones.

So what say ye newer V6 Cayenne Tow Haulers?

Thanx in Advance!
Tom
///////

I know this does’t answer your question Tom, but our the 2nd Generation MDX has a 300 hp V6 VTEC and runs happily at 3700-4200 RPM’s. Redline 6800 RPM’s. Also has paddle shifters, and we use a 2011 to tow a 25’ FB Safari dry weight 5200 lbs and GVWR 7200 lbs. On our travels we encountered a couple using the Nissan Pathfinder and they were having trouble towing their teardrop camper.

Steve
SteveNdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #842
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
I know this does’t answer your question Tom, but our the 2nd Generation MDX has a 300 hp V6 VTEC and runs happily at 3700-4200 RPM’s. Redline 6800 RPM’s. Also has paddle shifters, and we use a 2011 to tow a 25’ FB Safari dry weight 5200 lbs and GVWR 7200 lbs. On our travels we encountered a couple using the Nissan Pathfinder and they were having trouble towing their teardrop camper.

Steve

Interesting Steve,

I knew some folks with that era V8 Pathfinder & it towed well for them, but maybe the 4.0L V6 & Auto Trans combo sucks at towing - not sure if it was CVT, but that could have something to do with poor towing performance if it was CVT.

My sister has the same era Pilot (2011 I think) which would have the same problem towing comfortably, but it appears that your era MDX has 300 HP & 275 lb/ft of Torque, vs the Pilot's only 280 HP & 253 lb/ft TQ.

What I'd really like to do is to rent each of those 2015-20 Cayennes above & a 2008-14 V8 CayS to do a set of weekend tow-offs with each to a rally & some road/terrain/fwy variations to see how each performs in the real world towing our Avion, & then make an informed purchase decision from there based on known performance while towing.

PS - Apparently they dropped the 2020 MDX HP to 290 FYI.

Any Cayenne owners out there with feedback?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #843
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
my wife and I are currently towing a 28' Landyacht (2015) with a 2016 Cayennes Diesel. We use an equalizer hitch and I regularly and often check our weights (let's just say I am pushing it) on the scales. It's perfectly balanced, but HEAVY. Overall however, we love it. Power is good, handling is great, stopping is superb. Space... eh.

I ordered a 2019 Cayenne Hybrid in December of 2018. I am fairly convinced Porsche never actually delivered ANY and I certainly never received mine. Early in the process I got a few calls from my dealer saying it was delayed, but by August the calls had ceased and I suppose it just got deleted. I looked into trying to order a 2020 Hybrid but am not super excited about getting teased with something that may never happen.

The only issues I have with my CD is the oil temps will get high (270 in climbs in 75 degree weather or sometimes REALLY hot in VERY steep long climbs (Rockies) in 75 - 80 degree weather). That's towing at 70 MPH. And then, last week we had a transmission temp warning after towing up a steep pot-hole strewn dirt road at about 5 mph. I think it didn't like the slow speed because apparently there is no fan on the transmission cooler - it requires speed to get the air flowing across it. The vehicle is at the dealer in Tucson now and they are supposed to be looking into it to see if there was any obstructions, etc.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #844
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
My VW has Electronic Stability Control ( ESP). The Cayenne that we used to tow the race car had the same system. In the owners manual it states that an equalizer should not be used when towing and ESP must be activated. Since the VW and the Porsche are nearly identical I assume that yours is optioned the same. Watch the Youtube video of the Porsche hauling a trailer thru a slalom course. I find the the shift points and the engine braking is much different with ESP on. I have never encountered an increase in temp going up long grades.
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #845
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Really? I always notice that while towing or without the trailer. Maybe you temp sensor is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
(...) I have never encountered an increase in temp going up long grades.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #846
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Vanster,

What weights have you towed up significant grades? If you don’t want to publicly post, please PM me. My Airstream, loaded with water, is about 8200 lbs. in that condition, I am within my axle weights and vehicle gross weights, but obviously over the tow weight. Though I will not admit to towing regularly with full tanks. Fire suit on.

My owners manual does not indicate that weight distribution hitches should not be used, and it doesn’t have ESP.

Quote:
My VW has Electronic Stability Control ( ESP). The Cayenne that we used to tow the race car had the same system. In the owners manual it states that an equalizer should not be used when towing and ESP must be activated. Since the VW and the Porsche are nearly identical I assume that yours is optioned the same. Watch the Youtube video of the Porsche hauling a trailer thru a slalom course. I find the the shift points and the engine braking is much different with ESP on. I have never encountered an increase in temp going up long grades.
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #847
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Rogers , AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHapgood View Post

My owners manual does not indicate that weight distribution hitches should not be used, and it doesn’t have ESP.
Porsche calls it PSM.

My coolant temps crept up a little when climbing steep mountain roads, but I had also developed a small leak from the thermostat. I had only started smelling it occasionally and the coolant level didn't need attention until long after we returned from our trip. I think I pulled over for a moment to let cars pass and the temps returned to normal pretty quickly.
2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 550hp/553tq
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 5.3L built 4L60e, 40k Tru-cool
Mr. Merk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #848
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
my wife and I are currently towing a 28' Landyacht (2015) with a 2016 Cayennes Diesel. We use an equalizer hitch and I regularly and often check our weights (let's just say I am pushing it) on the scales. It's perfectly balanced, but HEAVY. Overall however, we love it. Power is good, handling is great, stopping is superb. Space... eh.

I ordered a 2019 Cayenne Hybrid in December of 2018. I am fairly convinced Porsche never actually delivered ANY and I certainly never received mine. Early in the process I got a few calls from my dealer saying it was delayed, but by August the calls had ceased and I suppose it just got deleted. I looked into trying to order a 2020 Hybrid but am not super excited about getting teased with something that may never happen.

The only issues I have with my CD is the oil temps will get high (270 in climbs in 75 degree weather or sometimes REALLY hot in VERY steep long climbs (Rockies) in 75 - 80 degree weather). That's towing at 70 MPH. And then, last week we had a transmission temp warning after towing up a steep pot-hole strewn dirt road at about 5 mph. I think it didn't like the slow speed because apparently there is no fan on the transmission cooler - it requires speed to get the air flowing across it. The vehicle is at the dealer in Tucson now and they are supposed to be looking into it to see if there was any obstructions, etc.

Quote:

Happy & Vanster -

Touareg/Cayenne/Q7 & WD Hitches:

FYI - the Hitch Hints article which I posted above & in here earlier was about CanAm setting up a CayTDI for a 30' AS, which was requested by Porsche Canada for a trade show demo. I'm sure it's not as heavy as yours at 8200 lbs, but close, & they used the Equalizer, & towed at 68.4 mph. Worth reading relative to both of your rigs' set-ups.

go to page 6 -

http://rvlifemag.dgtlpub.com/?i=2546

Vanster - as others have discussed in past posts in this exceedingly long topic, VW/P/A owner's manuals still have some remnants of the Euro towing instructions, which is where your warning to not use WD hitches comes from (Equalizer or any make WD hitch), since they're illegal in Europe & UK (story behind that also earlier in this topic).

WD hitches are not illegal in the US/NA, & it is not disallowed on any of the C/T/Q cousins here, per the actual factory tech specs supplied to the dealers' techs. This has been thoroughly discussed earlier in this topic, so if you doubt it, then go back through the topic from page one & read up. I've done a lot of research with Porsche Techs at several dealers, & had found the docs from them, so I'm not going to look for the exact posts covering the topic, nor the CanAm set-ups, etc. Please look through this excellent reference topic to find those & other great info.

However, if you look at the factory hitch specs sticker, it does list both WD & non-distributed wt. limits, with the undistributed about half of the 7716 lbs - so in reality you need WD to tow a heavy-ish trailer.

You can contact Andy T who wrote that article, at CanAm from their website for their recommended hitch reinforcements on the Cay/Taur/Q7 - especially when you're pushing the envelope with trailer wts. It's also discussed earlier in this topic, where CanAm gave the specs for locally done work for those too far from CanAm in Ontario, TN, CAN. I think that the Cay/AS doing the slalom is also their test run with an older 955 or 957 CT or CTT set-up with an AS 24-28-ish.

FYI, back in 2013 I set-up our 3000-3500# wet/loaded 1960 Avion T20 with the Hensley Cub WD/AS hitch ($1300+/- then + accessories & McKesh mirrors, & with the Tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller on the A-frame) while we were still renting the previously noted Nissan Pathfinders - knowing that we'd eventually want a similarly sized SUV TV, preferably the CayS. It changed the towing from white-knuckles above 55 mph, to rock solid up to more than I care to admit here.

So there are additional stability reasons to use a WD/AS hitch with these T/C/Q SUVs, beyond just the WD issue to get to their max tow wt. rating - beyond having the TV stability control systems which act reactively with opposite braking in most/all cases.

Cay/Touar/Q7 Trans & Xfer Case Issues:

Based on comments on Rennlist, 6speedonline, etc. about the Cayenne trans & transfer case - you may want to have the dealer also change the fluids & filters in them to preserve their life, while they're at it.

2019-20 Cayenne PHEV Availability:

I'm not sure what's going on with Porsche deliveries, but many fellow PCA have been experiencing delivery delays too. One guy in FL/CT with a 992 Cab ordered last Summer was delayed 6 months, having just gotten his about 4 weeks ago. So maybe there's something going on in general.

I know several SoCal PCA Zone 8 members with the prior 2015-18 958.2 & current 2019-20 CayPHEV owners who didn't have delays, but none of them tow anything. In Tuscon you're also in PCA Zone 8 territory now, so maybe go on the Z8 website &/or to a local event, & ask about any other PHEVs being delayed or not delivered, if you're still interested. Maybe Porsche Tuscon can get a 2020 for you now.

We're looking for 2-3+ years old pre-owned Cayennes, so we wouldn't be affected by delivery delays, but Thanx for the heads-up.

Cayenne TDI:

Thanx for the CD info, but we're not looking at the TDIs due to what my long time Porsche Tech (with him since 1975) has said that P/VW/A "will wash their hands of them" after the 10 year settlement support period is over, & he's seen it happen over his years since the 1960s in Austria as a P/VW/A tech at both dealerships & his Indy shop (est. 1972).

Since I tend to keep my cars, & he has to deal with them long term, I'll follow his advice. I've owned only 5 cars since I bought my first in Fall 1969, & still own & drive the #3-5, with the #3 `73 914-2.0 "914S" currently under a slow resto, which was the P-car which got me going to Hans (Hans Imports, Huntington Beach CA), & he works on our `85 BMW 325e E30 Coupe (due in next) & `88 VW Westfalia (currently there now).

He did say that they are amazing engineering, & that he has many customers with the 3 TDI versions who LOVE them. So he's not at all against them, just predictive that "...they'll drop them like a hot potato" - which you'll have to repeat in a thick Austrian-German accent!

Also, I know several SoCal PCA members who tow with CayTDIs & LOVE them - even towing a heavy-ish P-car + race gear in a big box car hauler.

I'd asked Hans about CDs after they DieselGate Settlement was finalized & the CDs were back on the market, because I'd heard all this good news about them on here & locally, & was considering opening my search to CayS & CayTDI.

The biggest limitations on our used CayS V8 search to date has been that 70-80% of them seem to be Black, & we don't want black, & then we want the tow option & back-up camera - either of which can be added for $1000-2000 each P&L, but which rapidly puts a Cay without them over prices if I need to add them both, & sometimes just when adding one.

Also, as I've mentioned before, the PCA members who've contacted me off of my Panorama WTB ad, are usually asking 150%+ what the current value for an excellent #4 condition one at Kelly/KBB & NADA (& being a Concours judge with mechanical abilities/knowledge - they're usually Good to VG at best) - which is what others listed FS online & KBB/NADA have for a year or two newer.

They're completely oblivious to the facts that almost all cars/trucks continually depreciate monthly for the first 15-20 years (low volume exotics being the exception), & that they're not going to be able to recoup the full cost of maintaining the vehicle (that's already factored into condition by KBB/NADA), nor the full cost of their 3-5 year old window tinting, of their 3-5 year old ceramic or film paint coatings, weather mats (factory or other), non-factory or upgraded Porsche wheels (18-19" are better for towing & ride comfort anyway), etc.

This has happened to me on 3 & now maybe a 4th PP sale from a fellow PCA member, which is very frustrating to me. So in the long run we may end up with a Toyota Gland Bruiser or Sequoyah (correct Cherokee spelling BTW) for TV instead, & look for another classic Porsche for fun (Gen 1 Boxster??) - as if we really need 5 cars!

Cheers!

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
Old 03-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #849
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Arrow Bump > Request for 2015-20 Cayenne Towing Feedback

Bump >

Is anyone out there towing with a 2015-18 or 2019-20 Cayenne S V6 TT &/or 3.0L T V6-PHEV?

I'm curious to hear your experience - when towing - with the following models:

2015-18 3.6L V6 TT CayS,

2015-18 3.6L V6 N.A. Base Cay,

2019-20+ 3.0L V6 T Base Cay,

2019-20+ 2.9L V6 TT CayS, &/or

2015-2020+ 3.0L V6 T-PHEV Cayennes

> In the areas listed below:

1. Power & Engine Noise Level & ability to keep up speed when towing up long &/or steep grades?

2. Power & Engine Noise Level & ability to keep up speed when towing at freeway speeds?

4. For the PHEV - Do you notice it working harder & ability to keep up speed on grades & at freeway speeds - once the battery is essentially exhausted & you're carrying it's battery/motor/etc. dead weight?

>> Please specify which model/year/engine Cayenne & what type, size & weight trailer that you have when answering.

Thanx!

Tom
///////
Old 03-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #850
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Come to think of it I have not really gone over any really steep grades and also most of last years camping was done in very cool climates (snow and rain) I have only traveled from the Bay Area to Salt Spring Island then thru BC into Montana and back thru Hwy 50 in Nevada. Few trips to Monterey for Car Week. All flat. I have not weighed the Caravel since we have re-imagined it. I'm guessing 3000#'s or so, wet. 30 gals of fresh water+ 30 gals of grey which I dump often. It's about 250 on the tongue.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:45 PM   #851
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Thanks Tom for the great insight. I think I'm OK with such a light trailer but I get it. If you are a PCA member my 928 is on the cover of the most recent issue. I'm in Zone 7 and if you are going to the Parade in Palm Springs I'll be there parked on the lawn in the Historical section.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #852
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Oil temp

Quote:

Re oil temperature
On my 016 ‘S’, when I push the sport button, the oil temp goes down pretty quickly. I have no idea if a CI car has the button, or if would work the same.
Good luck!
Kirk
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #853
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Thanks Tom for the great insight. I think I'm OK with such a light trailer but I get it. If you are a PCA member my 928 is on the cover of the most recent issue. I'm in Zone 7 and if you are going to the Parade in Palm Springs I'll be there parked on the lawn in the Historical section.
PS - We're booked for the Pismo Vintage Rally in May, if you're going or in the area, then drop by. I don't know if we'll bring our 1960 Avion T20 which we've had there 2013-18, our 1970 Eriba Puck which we had there in tow of the `88 Westfalia last year 2019. We were in the same row & a few spaces up as Wagon Master Mike Keenan, the Vintage Trailer Supply site/booth, by that first restroom building, & next to Ben & Roxanne M. with the BMW 2002 + Detleff's silver polished German tall teardrop/canned ham. Prior to 2017 we were in other areas each year.

If you were there 2013-209, then we may have crossed paths.

Ha - cool! Van, that's a Bitchen 928!

I don't know if you caught it in my prior posts, but we seriously considered getting a 928 as a fun TV for our 3000# wet/loaded 1960 Avion, & seriously looked at both an 86.5 & 88 - both in blue. But then my wife put the brakes on it - saying that she wanted a "real backseat" & more cargo space - & we passed on the Macan for the cargo reason too, & so we stuck with the so far fruitless Cayenne search.

Yes, I'm in Z8 & help with judging at our Z8 concours, & may be helping out in some TBD capacity at the PS Parade CdE, if they get back that they need me. So we're planning on going out to PS for a day or two of it (from OC) around the Concours, pending any ongoing issues with the CV-19 pandemic (we're cancelling on the Ocean Mesa Vintage Trailer Rally 3/20-22 due to CV-19 concerns, since we're 67.5 & 72 in the higher risk group).

We had 8 928s at our first 2020 Concours back in January in Long Beach before our Z8 annual awards banquet - & all but 2 (display) entered, 3 won Class, & 1 won street division, out of a smallish field of about 30. That was a great turnout of "Sharks" for our CdE events.

I got into the CdE thing here back in 2009 in order to help info for restoring my `73 914-2.0 "914S" that I'm the 2nd owner of since 1975, & basically got recruited to help with judging then, even though I have no P-car to show yet.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #854

Fairview , TENNESSEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Cloud View Post
Any ideas about loss of tire material due to proper or improper use of WD hitch? I can't say whether loss is limited to only fronts since the tires were rotated front to back several times before loss was noted!! Evident on inside and outside tread on all 4 tires.

VW 2016 Touareg TDI 19 inch wheels
Michelin Latitude Tour X tires manufactured in 2016 purchased in 2018
Tire pressure VW Treg specs (35 psi Front . 41 psi Rear)
Flying Cloud 20 ft
No brake controller
Reese WD 1000 lb bars
Vehicle stance checked with measuring tape
Photos of tires after 40k miles
I created a login for this forum just so I could comment on this picture. I've been a Porsche dealership technician since 2001. We are travel trailer shopping and I came across this forum post looking for information for towing with my wife's 2009 Cayenne S.

Anyway, with regard to the chunked-up tire wear, we see this pretty commonly on front tires running both the Michelin Latitude Tour HP as well as the Goodyear Eagle LS2. The alignments are always fine in this case. We have made the observation that this tire wear is more so seen on vehicles that are primarily driven in the city (Nashville) We're guessing it has to do with the changes in camber as the wheels are turned sharply, but have no definitive answers. It isn't unusual to see it though.
NGavush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #855
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGavush View Post
I created a login for this forum just so I could comment on this picture.
Welcome to the forum NGavush Good to have a Porsche Tech weighing in. I tow with a 2006 Cayenne Turbo S. I've always had good luck with the Pirelli PZeros but decided to try the Atturo AZ850 this time around. Great tires so far and they are very competitively priced. The lack of a full sized spare is a problem for towing with a Cayenne, so I bought used, matching wheel and mounted a new tire in order to make a proper spare.
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:24 AM   #856
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Full size spare

I have a full sized spare tire also, the question is where do you store it while traveling? In the cayenne is not optimal as it takes up quite a bit of space. I usually put it in the airstream while traveling, then move it outside when we get to our destination. I’ve looked into getting a rack to mount it underneath the airstream, but the tire is thick and I don’t think there’s enough room. Any ideas in this regard would be great.
foster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #857
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
When I had Touaregs, I added a roof rack to the cross bars to carry a full size spare and ditched the on board donut for more trunk space. The roof rack was also handy for carrying a blue boy and other gear.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #858
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by foster2 View Post
I have a full sized spare tire also, the question is where do you store it while traveling? In the cayenne is not optimal as it takes up quite a bit of space. I usually put it in the airstream while traveling, then move it outside when we get to our destination. I’ve looked into getting a rack to mount it underneath the airstream, but the tire is thick and I don’t think there’s enough room. Any ideas in this regard would be great.
I relocated my spare on the Airstream to the rear using a BAL spare tire carrier . You could use the same carrier at the front and it would take a very wide tire there. Check the pictures of my installation to hold the tire under the belly pan.

Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f51...-138864-2.html

If you mount in the front where the airstream spare is you could fit the Porsche wide spare and add a second carrier where I did under the belly pan at the rear for the Airstream spare.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #859
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
You don't need a spare for the Airstream if it is a tandem axle. Few Airstreams in the 70's and 80's had spares it just got to the point where it was easier to add them than try and explain to people they did not need one. They will tow quite nicely on 3 wheels. I rarely carry a spare tire. That way you can put the Porsche spare in the Airstream carrier if you like.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #860
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
2019 27' Globetrotter
2017 25' International
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNdebbie View Post
Please specify which model/year/engine Cayenne & what size/weight trailer that you have when answering.

Here is my .02

I have had 4 Cayenne's (and towed with an Audi Q8 briefly as well) and towed two different Airstreams with them. Here's my basics -

Airstream International 25' TV's
2017 Cayenne Platinum 3.6 v6
2018 Cayenne S 3.6 Turbo v6

Airstream Globetrotter 27' TV's
2018 Cayenne S 3.6 Turbo v6 (cont.)
2019 Cayenne S 2.9 Turbo v6
2020 Cayenne Coupe Turbo 4.0 Turbo v8 (current TV but not yet reviewable since I got it right at the beginning of this pause in travel)

2017 Cayenne Platinum 3.6 v6 - Was capable, but could tell it was having some struggles
2018 Cayenne S 3.6 Turbo v6 - Absolutely fine even going up at 6% grade and braking down the same
2019 Cayenne S 2.9 Turbo v6 - Personally I felt fine even going up at 6% grade and braking down the same, but the engine did run warm when I stopped.

All of them - Never had an issue with engine noise or ability to speed up while towing. I would comment that I likely am timid about even getting on the gas when merging, the Cayenne's are definitely more capable then I drive them most of the time.

The 2017 & 2018 got better MPG then the 2019, but generally it's around 11 - 13MPG towing.

N/A - I don't have experience with any of the e-Hybrids.
WBCCI #31337
StreamingEagle is offline   Reply With Quote