Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #641
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
The Q7 is longer with the 3rd row, therefore heavier, so you lose some tow rating due to the weight. The same thing happens with the Cayenne Hybrid due to the weight of batteries, so it's around 6K IIRC.

Towing capacity has to do with the total vehicle chassis - not just the engine, weight of the vehicle, fluids & 150# driver - & the net is the payload, towing capacity, etc. ratings.

So yes, your Q7 will tow less than the Cayenne or Toureg. The new VW Atlas is also 3 row/longer & rated at less than the Cayenne.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Curiously the latest Cayenne Hybrid has a very similar max capacity rating as the non-hybrid "Turbo" version, despite the batteries (at least according to the website last week). The hybrid includes the 48V system and rear anti-roll bar setup as standard to handle the additional weight. It's possible they designed things to maintain the same capacity across the model lineup?
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #642
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi TBDub

You were wondering in an earlier post why your plug comes out of the tailgate. We do this when possible for several reasons.
1) all the miles you are not towing your plug is inside out of the elements so it is far less likely to corrode. We often see ten year old vehicles with their original plug.
2) the metal Bargman plug has a much more positive locking mechanism than the plastic plugs so your problem of it coming apart is very unusual.
3) it is easier to connect than reaching up under the car. In fact we often move them from underneath to inside for customers for this reason alone.

When you connect, the plug should be clipped onto the coupler pin this keeps it from falling where it can get in trouble, always make sure the latch is securely over the lug on the trailer end.

I hope this helps.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bars.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	313426   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 way clip small.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	313427  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #643
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Centerville , Ohio
Andrew T,

I have had a couple responses and everyone agrees that the plug shouldn't have separated. It separated on my return from the dealer. We finally got it out of storage this week and I made the connection and had no problems.

I must admit, that although I live within 50 miles of Jackson Center and my dealer is even closer to the Airstream plant, I actually bought another trailer (Rockwood Mini Lite). I use this forum because I have the Touareg TDI tow vehicle and there is so much good information here.

Thanks for your input,

TBDub
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #644

Currently Looking...
IRVINE , CA
After watching this video I am more than convinced that I will be just fine towing a 30 foot Airstream Flying Cloud with Audi Q7 and a Hensley hitch in between

futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #645
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Centerville , Ohio
Andrew T,

Guess the connection problem was a bit more of a problem than I thought. Finally took the rig on a 150 mi outing and I lost turn signals going out and coming back. Since I lost confidence in the connector on the way out I made stops to check lights and reconnect.

The problem appears to be in the way that the TV end and the TT end meet up. The clip/fin on the TV connector that CanAm installed does not contact the base of the TT plug end. There is about an 1/8 in gap that allows the plug to come loose and lose connection with the turn signals. I have add pics below.

I'm thinking I just need to shave down the peg on the TT plug to allow the clip/fin to contact the plug.

Any ideas?

TBDub
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Conn#2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	314182  
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #646
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
I’m glad to have a Cayenne. On two recent trips I was “upgraded” from basic sedans to a new Lincoln Navigator and then a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The interiors of American cars are now good, engines and trannies are capable, and they have modern tech like CarPlay but...wow do they lack steering feel and handling. My wife picked me up from the airport in the Pepper and I drove home. It’s night and day. The Cayenne feels so planted. It goes where I want with no conscious effort. The American SUVs are unpredictable. They wander all over the road. I’m constantly corrected steering inputs because they’re not going where I think they will. They're like a boat. I’m American. I want to like American cars*. They’re good in a lot ways. They’re still bad in others. Rant over.

*I adore the Fiesta ST but sadly it’s cancelled in the US. An Impala I rented recently wasn’t bad.
ChiAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 PM   #647
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
If you get a velcro strap (most RV stores will have them for awning arms) wrap it around the trailer end and door on the vehicle end that should stop it from working out.

Usually, it is the opposite problem getting it in far enough to lock in.

One other trick is to travel with your clearance lights on, if you see them out in your rear view mirror you will no the plug is out.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDub View Post
Andrew T,

Guess the connection problem was a bit more of a problem than I thought. Finally took the rig on a 150 mi outing and I lost turn signals going out and coming back. Since I lost confidence in the connector on the way out I made stops to check lights and reconnect.

The problem appears to be in the way that the TV end and the TT end meet up. The clip/fin on the TV connector that CanAm installed does not contact the base of the TT plug end. There is about an 1/8 in gap that allows the plug to come loose and lose connection with the turn signals. I have add pics below.

I'm thinking I just need to shave down the peg on the TT plug to allow the clip/fin to contact the plug.

Any ideas?

TBDub

Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #648
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Might want to look into the EZConnector system. Much easier to hook up, and more reliable connector. Uses gold-plated spring loaded contact setup and a huge rare-earth magnet to hold the parts together.

You can either use adapters, or replace the TV connector and AS umbilical with these magnetically coupled connectors. Much easier and more reliable. Takes a very hard pull to disconnect them, and they are waterproof.

No financial interest, just a very happy customer and user...not cheap, admittedly, but I like the solid connections and waterproofing. Satisfies my (overkill) engineering OCD as well...I went with replacement connectors and coiled cables for my rig.

http://www.ezconnector.com/
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #649
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
I know what you mean. I would buy an American car, only if German, Japanese or Korean cars would not be available. Handling is everything for me - I do not care about 0-60 mph times, etc. Just handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiAir View Post
I’m glad to have a Cayenne. On two recent trips I was “upgraded” from basic sedans to a new Lincoln Navigator and then a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The interiors of American cars are now good, engines and trannies are capable, and they have modern tech like CarPlay but...wow do they lack steering feel and handling. My wife picked me up from the airport in the Pepper and I drove home. It’s night and day. The Cayenne feels so planted. It goes where I want with no conscious effort. The American SUVs are unpredictable. They wander all over the road. I’m constantly corrected steering inputs because they’re not going where I think they will. They're like a boat. I’m American. I want to like American cars*. They’re good in a lot ways. They’re still bad in others. Rant over.

*I adore the Fiesta ST but sadly it’s cancelled in the US. An Impala I rented recently wasn’t bad.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #650
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question Cayenne with non-turbo V6?

Anyone towing 5000 pounds or so with the non-turbo Cayenne V6?
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #651
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We have several customers with the 3.6 in Touaregs. I think the engine is the same. Combined with the 8 speed transmission performance with an Airstream is quite good.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #652
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Hitch Recommendation?

Hey All,

This summer we bought a fixed 2013 Touareg TDI to pull our 1954 Cruiser. My wife and I lived in it full time for 4 years and so never camped or really pulled it other than "moves." We moved into a house 2 years ago and the poor Airstream just sat because we didn't have a TV for it. (Used brother's truck before). So now that we have the Touareg I have spent the summer putting in the needed updates on the Airstream for camping and regular towing. Its getting a new torsion axle this week.

One of the last things I need is a WD hitch. What do you all recommend?

Cost is definitely a factor because I have spent too much already on the redo. At this point I don't know any current weights. Last I weighed the trailer fully loaded it was 4500lbs. I expect that is a good middle ground for weight since we had all our belongings in it. I am putting a 5400lb axle on it. 180lbs of batteries were placed in the back and the water tank is behind the axles so I can probably adjust toungue weight with adding water.

I would wait and just weight it all at Cat scales before buying, but we have a major trip coming up and time is running out.

I am leaning towards the Eaz-lift system; just not sure which weight to get.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5095.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	317749  
Old 07-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #653
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Also i should mention on this vintage, I only have about 32.5” from middle of ball receiver to the body of Airstream... so i may not be able to fit really fat chain mounts...
Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 AM   #654
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
We have a 2014 Touareg TDI pulling a 2018 FC 25 FB Twin. Our AS specs are obviously different. Our setup is by CanAm including reinforced hitch. We use an EAZ-Lift system, 1,400 lb WD bars with twin anti-sway bars. Our draw-bar has been re-drilled to bring the tongue weight closer to the TV. The EAZ-Lift system is simple and has performed very well. In our first 7,000 miles we’ve encountered some very windy conditions, very rough roads (mostly Interstates!) and a few butt-clenching emergency avoidance manoeuvres. Our “package” has handled all of these situations very well.

The full setup including choice of WD bars, road testing and tuning was performed by our dealer. I consider myself technical but I did not consider a DIY install. My lack of AS-towing experience led me to rely on our dealer for a safe and comfortable towing experience, which we achieved.
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #655
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoorsLite View Post
We have a 2014 Touareg TDI pulling a 2018 FC 25 FB Twin. Our AS specs are obviously different. Our setup is by CanAm including reinforced hitch. We use an EAZ-Lift system, 1,400 lb WD bars with twin anti-sway bars. Our draw-bar has been re-drilled to bring the tongue weight closer to the TV. The EAZ-Lift system is simple and has performed very well. In our first 7,000 miles we’ve encountered some very windy conditions, very rough roads (mostly Interstates!) and a few butt-clenching emergency avoidance manoeuvres. Our “package” has handled all of these situations very well.

The full setup including choice of WD bars, road testing and tuning was performed by our dealer. I consider myself technical but I did not consider a DIY install. My lack of AS-towing experience led me to rely on our dealer for a safe and comfortable towing experience, which we achieved.

Thanks Coorslite, that is helpful. Man the newer ones are getting heavy!! I will probably go with the EAZ-lift or something very comparable.

So if my tongue weight is around 500lbs I should get an 800lb system? Would it be bad to get a 1000lb one?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #656
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
We have several customers with the 3.6 in Touaregs. I think the engine is the same. Combined with the 8 speed transmission performance with an Airstream is quite good.

Yes up to 2015 MY or so the base Cayenne used the VW VR6 3.6L non-turbo (I don't recall at which MY Porsche did or will switch to their own design engine for the base V6), but in the Cayenne it is tweaked a bit by Porsche for a tad more HP & TQ. The Audi Q7 also uses that VW sourced VR6 3.6L engine too.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:33 AM   #657
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Saint Thomas , Ontario
Yes - I understand the 25FB has one of the heaviest tongue weights of all Airstreams. I was there at install/setup and the weight was about 1,000 lbs. Regardless this tongue weight has not been an issue for us whatsoever. I am mindful of our capacities - we do load the Touareg and AS carefully.

Regarding your question of the size of bars - I don't know the answer. This choice, plus things like the angle of the Hitch Head tilt, distance of the sway bar attachments etc. are all variables that I decided to avoid resolving myself. There is lots of debate on this topic that I feel can be potentially misleading. So I relied on dealer expertise.

My suggestion is to contact Andrew T (Andy Thompson - see above in this thread) at CanAm RV for advice and WD bar proper selection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WDBars1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	317907  
CoorsLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:37 AM   #658
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Andrew M

I would get the Eaz-Lift Elite 1000 pound with a friction sway control. You can measure your hitch weight easily with a bathroom scale and a couple of pieces of lumber. It should be at least 500 pounds.

Cool (no pun intended) way to do AC. If you don’t have room for the snap up brackets you can do them the way we do on the Basecamp. I can send you a picture if you like.

One other huge benefit of weight distribution is your trailer can never come off the ball.

Andy

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #659
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Andrew M

I would get the Eaz-Lift Elite 1000 pound with a friction sway control. You can measure your hitch weight easily with a bathroom scale and a couple of pieces of lumber. It should be at least 500 pounds.

Cool (no pun intended) way to do AC. If you don’t have room for the snap up brackets you can do them the way we do on the Basecamp. I can send you a picture if you like.

One other huge benefit of weight distribution is your trailer can never come off the ball.

Andy
Great Thanks Andy, that is a big help. I will order that today.

That is a very keen eye also about the concern about trailer coming off of the ball; I have been worried about that original coupler latch for a while now. That brings me extra peace of mind hearing that it can't come off with the weight distribution.

Some scoff at that mini-split unit; but after 7 years its still one of the best things I did with the trailer. I hate the look of 50's Airstreams with a big fat AC on top. This one is much more efficient and the heat pump is crazy good as well.

I will see how the fit is when the kit comes in this week and update the thread here on how it all installs.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #660
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

Just got the axle installed today. I am really happy with the two inch height increase. That means i was able to hook up the WD setup. Here are The pictures of the setup so far; still might need a little adjusting. I measured my tongue weight at around 415lbs for unloaded trailer which is spot on.

Few things I noticed: the front of trailer is a bit higher than I would like for perfectly level; but if I drop down a hole I think it would be a bit too low... is either way preferred?

My torsion bars don’t seem perfectly level with the frame. Is it close enough?

On average I had about 1/2” drop on the rear... and on the front one side dropped 1/16” and the other 1/2”... i think its due to my driveway not being level?

Name:	IMG_7465.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	523.3 KB
ID:	318184Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7466.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	511.3 KB
ID:	318185