Old 09-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #365
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Just wondering, what is the GVWR and axle ratings of Cayenne?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #366
2 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Just wondering, what is the GVWR and axle ratings of Cayenne?
The ratings for my first gen Cayenne are:

Front: 3,208
Rear: 3,913 (for trailer operation)
GVWR: 6,790 lbs

Dave

Old 09-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #367
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Cedonly, I would definitely try WD. It should make a significant impact on how your combination handles and on overall stability. The air suspension will level the setup but does not restore weight to the front axle on your TV. For handling and ride similar to unhitched you need to get the loading on your TV axles approximately equal. The rear will still likely be a bit heavier but that is the goal - should equate to equal squat at the front and the rear when hitched up. Adjust your WD prior to activating the air suspension, get your TV level then engage the air suspension. Measure wheel arch clearances on your TV unhitched, hitch and then set WD to get equal squat.

There are many people towing with WD and air suspension without any issues. Wish I'd got the air suspension on mine.....
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:25 PM   #368
3 Rivet Member

Mountain View , California
Why did you add "for trailer operation"? Does Porsche provide additional rear axle limit for the car towing a trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
The ratings for my first gen Cayenne are:

Front: 3,208
Rear: 3,913 (for trailer operation)
GVWR: 6,790 lbs

Dave
Old 09-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #369
3 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Why did you add "for trailer operation"? Does Porsche provide additional rear axle limit for the car towing a trailer?

Yes, they specify a higher axle rating at the rear when towing at max 60mph, about 300lbs more. GVWR does not change. In Europe no WD is used so rear axle weight increase is to be expected at the expense of front axle load. If you calculate the rear and front axle loads with the max 616 lb tongue weight applied (considering axle and receiver locations) the rear axle load is pretty close to the towing rating assuming weight for two adults in the front seats. In the US we typically use WD so this is not an issue, some tongue weight goes back to the trailer and some to the TV front axle for a nicely balanced combination. Here's a manual extract for some of the 2014 models.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ayenne/10/342/

The higher towing rear axle rating allows the TV to support more tongue weight (or cargo) but the speed limit is a good indication that vehicle stability and braking is impacted when too much load is on the rear and the front wheels are light. For my setup, the rear axle weight is below the "normal" max rear axle rating with a good dose of WD applied so I suppose no speed limit for me.....
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 09-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #370
2 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
For my setup, the rear axle weight is below the "normal" max rear axle rating with a good dose of WD applied so I suppose no speed limit for me.....
Good info. With a fully loaded 27 FC, how close are you to your axel limits and tongue weight? Dave
Old 09-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #371
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
from the Airfourm research, I bought a Sherline 0-1000 load master. You can attach an extension that will allow the scale to be physically under the hitch.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #372
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
Cayenne S air suspension only has 3 settings: comfort, normal and sport (which also affects the shifting mapping). I keep the Cayenne in normal during towing. I also measured the drop on the rear after hitching up the 20FC.

Nothing comes for free... the WD attempts to put a torque thru the hitch to redistribute the weight. We had no issues with steering or leveling with the current setup. In fact, on the first day, we had a deer run out infront of us and we were able to safely reduce speed from 65 to below 30..

I think the dynamics are also driven by the amount of force you distribute thru the hitch from the trailer to the TV under braking. With the EBC set properly, then the hitch "pin joint" should have minimal force being transferred to the TV and the TV only responds to the constant vertical load thru the pin joint.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #373
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
minneapolis , Minnesota
I also saw some questions about towing mirrors. We went with Dometic Aero wide mirrors. They have two clips on the frame of the Cayenne side mirrors. They are well made and work great. We had no issues at higher speeds and with cross winds... I think we paid about $100 for them.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #374
3 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Good info. With a fully loaded 27 FC, how close are you to your axel limits and tongue weight? Dave
Here is a CAT scale ticket from over a year ago. I'm more aggressive now with WD application and my trailer is heavier now due to mods but this is a good guide.

This ticket was with 4 people in the car, my dog and a bundle of firewood. 1 person more than I normally carry (my teenage son at about 155lbs). I had 6.5" on the jacks and 4 washers. I now use 6 washers and 6.5" (more WD). You will note the TV is 6160 lbs (123 lbs under GVWR) and axle loads are all comfortably under ratings. Tongue weight was not weighed on this trip but in this configuration it was about 750lbs (my battery had been moved to the rear and I had done other tongue lightening measures).

This year I relocated the batteries to just behind the rear axle and replaced the lead acid batteries with a huge but light Lithium battery. With other mods the trailer is now about 7500lbs fully loaded for camping with water and my tongue weight about 820. I have not weighed it again since putting the Lithium battery in or doing the other mods. I now carry my full size TV spare in the rear of the Cayenne (rather than under the dinette) and I suspect I may actually be slightly over GVWR on the Cayenne now. The Cayenne handles so well however (better than last year) that I don't care.

I will weight it again at the end of the season to see but its just for the record at this point. If it is over GVWR a little I'm not going to worry. The axle ratings are expected to be well within ratings still which in my mind is the most important factor together with tire load ratings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	272411  
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #375
2 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
I had 6.5" on the jacks and 4 washers. I now use 6 washers and 6.5" (more WD). You will note the TV is 6160 lbs (123 lbs under GVWR) and axle loads are all comfortably under ratings.
It is really interesting that you got your rear axel down to 3,360 as mine is at 3,900 (right at the axel limit). My first gen Cayenne is also about 500 lbs heavier than 2011 and later models.

My dealer set-up my Husky hitch with only two washers so I think I'll add more to see if I can improve weight distribution.

Thanks, Dave
Old 09-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #376
3 Rivet Member

it is also interesting how you managed to fit 6 washers. I could do only two, but I guess this depends on the position of the stinger (up vs down) in this piece which goes to the receiver.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #377
3 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
it is also interesting how you managed to fit 6 washers. I could do only two, but I guess this depends on the position of the stinger (up vs down) in this piece which goes to the receiver.

I get asked about that a lot. Make sure your pin and washers is at the opposite end to the central pivot bolt. In the second photo my pin and washers are on the right .

My pin is a bit flat on the end and I used some washers from Lowes which may be a bit thinner but you should be able to get at least 4 in there. You want as much downward droop on the end that goes into the receiver on the TV as possible to enable good WD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474994521.218013.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	272441Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474994547.874649.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	272442
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #378
3 Rivet Member

This is the thing. I have another setup, i.e. the plates are down, etc. This is the photo with no washers. I was able to add only two, no way I could squeeze more.