Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #521
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF View Post
Want to share our experience using the inflatable spare tire in our 2015 Audi Q5. We tow a 2017 27FB with the hitch work set up by CanAM.

We have been full-timing for 10 months and crossed the Continental Divide and several other passes many times without incident. Car tows flawlessly - just go down the passes same speed we climb the passes.

This week our front left tire blew out and shredded while driving on I80 towards Reno. Must have had a puncture. The TPMS low pressure warning came on, and I hoped to make it to an exit 3 miles ahead, but the air pressure dropped fast and the rim shredded the tire. Lesson learned: pull over immediately.

None of the nearby tire stores had the proper tire size, let alone our specific tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde XL). Found a Discount Tire in Reno that had four in stock.

We were still 135 miles from Reno and temps were over 100 degrees. The Discount Tire manager suggested we keep the speed at 50 mph and stop every 50 miles for 20 minutes to let the spare cool. (BTW - if the blown tire was on the rear, we obviously would have put a good tire on the back and moved the spare to the front due to the hitch weight).

We made it to Reno just fine. I80 did go down to one lane for a few miles and the folks stuck behind us were not too pleased, but that was there problem.

Also, shout out to Discount Tire in Reno - we limped in just before closing but they stayed open and had us out the door in 20 minutes. Did not even need to unhitch. Even though we had less than 12K miles on the tires, we did have to buy four new ones because the tread wear was greater than 2.5/32nds. But Discount Tire's price was about 1/3 less than what I paid at a specialty German aftermarket dealer in Albuquerque.

ARF - I assume you mean a Q7, not a Q5, right? (Q5 is rated for 4Klbs towing weight vs 7Klbs Q7)
AirDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #522
ARF
ARF

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Breckenridge , CO
No, our tow vehicle is the Q5 TDI.
ARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #523
3 Rivet Member

2020 30’ Globetrotter
Ramara , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF View Post
No, our tow vehicle is the Q5 TDI.

2014 Q5 TDI here as well. Towing a 2011 - 28 FC.
KSA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #524
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Newbie coming on line

Hello all!

Now that I've read through this entire thread, it's time to jump in and join the fray!

I have just purchased a 2016 Cayenne S for the express purpose of towing the 25FB we have on order.

So far, I have installed a factory hitch and tow module 'brake controller'. Yes, the module was a pain..ha!

Next on the list is to get the pigtail to connect to the under-dash connector for the external brake controller. It's funny, this project is just a long list of problems to overcome..

The plan is to have our AS dealer install a ProPride hitch and a Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller, pending more 'research' on my part. The mirrors are another TBD.

I may design reinforcements for the factory tow bar in the future. I'm not yet comfortable bolting anything to the rear suspension sub-frame.

Yes, there are clearly compromises in my choices. But, I think I have my eyes wide open (hope?)

Feel free to give me your gentle feedback. I do value the experience that is evident in this thread!

Regards,
Kirk
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #525
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Kirk - should not have to do under dash wiring. The RF control module mounts to trailer A-frame. The remote just needs 12 volt power. Cigarette lighter socket works. The experts may have info on what you need to do to integrate the programming of your vehicle as no help here.

Understand your reluctance to bolt/weld torque arm. Look to see if there are alternative solutions. Is there access to the chassis that would provide a method of spreading the load and providing more effective down force for weight transfer?

Also, there are tactics to control/limit/remove the tongue weight. Store only light bulky items behind TV rear axle. Secured weight added between the tow vehicle axles moves weight to the steer axle and balances the tongue weight. It does not transfer tongue weight though. You have to respect rear axle load capacity. Keeping coach gear loaded over axles helps reduce/control tongue weight. Read what Switz has done and search for similar.

The PP/H hitch is reported to reduce tongue weight with leverage. IMHO this is a static analysis that masks tongue mass. Static weights are a simple way to identify the forces that occur in the dynamic event of driving/towing. However the engineering calculations do not assume a long hitch shank will be used. Invisihitch (reference only - not your hitch) specifically states a distance from point of attachment to hitch ball when they provide a tongue weight capacity. The mass still exists and that is problematic, but the primary problem is the significant leverage applied to the hitch receiver. Given a receiver capacity of 1200#s or more, that may not be an issue. However, with a lower capacity hitch and no receiver reinforcement to upgrade the structure, significant care is required.

Keep an open mind. Develop a plan. Weigh the rig. Slow down. Keep an eye on results. Reach out to folks who have experience.

You are going to like your new shiny. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #526
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweendk View Post
Hello all!

Now that I've read through this entire thread, it's time to jump in and join the fray!

I have just purchased a 2016 Cayenne S for the express purpose of towing the 25FB we have on order.

So far, I have installed a factory hitch and tow module 'brake controller'. Yes, the module was a pain..ha!

Next on the list is to get the pigtail to connect to the under-dash connector for the external brake controller. It's funny, this project is just a long list of problems to overcome..

The plan is to have our AS dealer install a ProPride hitch and a Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller, pending more 'research' on my part. The mirrors are another TBD.

I may design reinforcements for the factory tow bar in the future. I'm not yet comfortable bolting anything to the rear suspension sub-frame.

Yes, there are clearly compromises in my choices. But, I think I have my eyes wide open (hope?)

Feel free to give me your gentle feedback. I do value the experience that is evident in this thread!

Regards,
Kirk
The towing module is not plug and play. You will have to go to the dealership and get it activated/calibrated. Plan on spending about 200 for this service.

No pigtail needed for Prodigy RF.

No comment on the hitch. I don't use WD or anti-sway gadgets.

Good luck and enjoy the Cayenne!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #527
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Tekonsha Prodigy RF

Pat,

Thanks! Clearly I haven't done all the reading I need to do.. So, the Prodigy RF activating-by-momentum takes one more thing off my list.

As far as reinforcing the factory tow bar, I may consider welding brackets to the rear 'chassis' rails (unibody formed to absorb and distribute rear collision forces). In the short term, I need to see what the actual loads are. My concern is the bolted joint, not the body structure. I notice that Suncoast recommends re-torquing the 8 bolts; something I will add to my list.

Good to hear from you! Thanks again.
Kirk
Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #528
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Porsche brake module

Mike,

Thanks, Yep, I had the dealer set it up yesterday. $149 in Peoria.. good 'ol midwest prices!

Kirk
Old 08-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #529
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Kirk

I would not be concerned about reinforcing the hitch in the standard pattern. The 25FB has a lot of hitch weight so it likely should be done. We have done hundreds of Tregs, Porches and Q7's. Many have been on the road for 10 years now with no issues at all.

With hitches sometimes the proven set up is better than reinventing the wheel.

The PP hitch will work fine but the Cayenne and 25' combination is so stable you don't really need it and it is a little limited in the amount of weight transfer it can produce.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #530
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Reinforcing Cayenne Hitch

Andrew,

Thanks for the feedback!

Your experience really does help validate the design. I agree that a tried-and-true approach is worth staying with. You're starting to convince me.. ha!

And I like hearing that our combo is pretty stable. We'll have to see if the PP can get enough weight off to make me feel comfortable.

Thanks again,
Kirk
Old 08-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #531
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Kirk; there is n A$ raly at Moraine View SP (LeRoy Il S of Bloomington) in October. One of our group has such a combination as yours to be; you might check it out.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #532
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Thumbs up Moraine Rally

Mike (Airtandem):

Yes! This is what we were looking for. What weekend in October is your group planning? This will likely be our first or second opportunity to camp in our rig. So, the timing is great!

You can PM me details if you prefer.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!
Kirk
Old 08-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #533
Rivet Master

Mountain View , California
Hi Andrew,

Am I reading your post correctly that you suggest PP has limited capabilities of weight transfer? Which hitches transfer the weight better?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
(...)

The PP hitch will work fine but the Cayenne and 25' combination is so stable you don't really need it and it is a little limited in the amount of weight transfer it can produce.

(...)
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #534
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I use the equal-i-zer brand for towing a fb27 flying cloud with my cayenne diesel. The dealer installed the prodigy p2 for me. No reinforcing needed. Been towing for a year now with no issues. Weight distribution keeps the tongue weight within spec. Overall weight is less than 7880 limit. Dealer has looked it over and says everything is fine. Tows it without any problems.
foster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #535
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we tow an AS 22Fb with a audi q5,5000lb pull with 500 lb toe capacity

Andy at CANAM says our q5 can easily pull an AS 25' model ie 6500lb and 900 lb. tongue

all we need is beefed up frame support to allow for the 900lb tongue weight

give canam and ask to speak to Andy
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #536
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
Knuff,

I'm also towing with a Cayenne Diesel / 27FB. I get about 17 mpg on moderately hilly terrain at 65. I do not have a good value for mpg on the flat but expect 1 or 2 more. I got 15 mpg on a recent quick run from DC to Ohio over some moderately hilly terrain at 70+ (I have upgraded to LT tires and 16" wheels). Unhitched I get mid 20s in town and close to 30 at highway speeds.

It pulls very nicely even with 7000+ lbs back there, can accelerate handily up hills and pulls strongly from a standing start if the need arises. Having said that, unhitched after a stint of towing it feels like a go-cart .

Brakes (as you will know) at over 14" on the front with 6 piston calipers are fantastic. Bigger than many 3/4 and 1 tons. I use a Tekonsha P3 set at 6V and Boost 2. That seems to be the sweet spot for me. 6V is about a high as I can go without locking up if I do a (practice) emergency stop on a clear road from 40mph or so.

Engine oil temp as you note will go up a bit especially if left in auto. Normal for me is around 215. I have seen in the 230's often, 245 once or twice on longish climbs. Manually shifting to a lower gear quickly brings it down (higher oil pressure, more flow, less resident time in the hot areas). I have driven in Sport mode a bit but have decided Auto is fine except when in an extended climb where I feel a lower gear would be better.

I have done a Can-Am style hitch mod and also did reduce the tongue weight from 900lbs from the factory to about 650lbs by moving the batteries to the rear and removing the AS spare. I use a ProPride but did tow for a while with an Eaz-lift and 2 x Husky friction sway control units which was a nice setup.

ProPride setup is with an inverted stinger, 2 holes at the top and 4 washers. WD is either 5.5 or 6" depending on load in the AS and TV.

I have run the setup over a CAT scale several times with a loaded trailer but no passengers. All looks good.

I tow with 2 passengers and a dog, most all of the cargo is in the AS.

Can't believe I was 50 / 50 on the Cayenne or a 2500 GMC. The Cayenne is by far the better choice for me. A truck would have been a big mistake....for me.
Just curious, VW has offered a lot of money for my 2012 Touareg TDI, I'm not sure what to do, but I could go to a gas Touareg much newer for very little extra. Been looking at Mercedes($$$) and other TW's but loved the Touareg and really don't want to part with it. It only has 59000 miles. Any opinions?
amckibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #537
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
We opted to keep our 2014 TDI. Great for towing our 22ft and its a great daily ride.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #538
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
WD and Self-Leveling Air Suspension

I have self-leveling air suspension in my 2006 Cayenne S and am towing our FC 25 using a Husky CenterLine WD hitch. My problem is that I cannot get the Husky to transfer weight to the front axel and am wondering if the air suspension system is somehow offsetting the WD system.

Has anyone with the air suspension been able to push weight to the front axel? This should apply to Cayenne, Touareg, X5, ML or Q5/7.

Thanks, Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #539
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Dave. It is no harder to transfer weight with Air Suspension tan with springs. It is a function of overhang and wheel base. The Centerline does add to your overhang. Have you reduced the hitch weight or reinforced the receiver?

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:01 PM   #540
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi Dave. It is no harder to transfer weight with Air Suspension tan with springs. It is a function of overhang and wheel base. The Centerline does add to your overhang. Have you reduced the hitch weight or reinforced the receiver?
Hi Andy. I have shortened the shank but have not reinforced the receiver. We're careful about how we load the front of the AS to manage the hitch weight and I'm happy to say that we've yet to experience sway in our 20,000 mi of towing over the past year. Thanks for your info.

I am going to switch to an Equal-i-zer with 1,000 lb bars next week and will report back on my weight transfer. Any thoughts on that hitch? Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote