Old 06-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #337
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
2011 Cloud - Looks like we are neighbors. I also am impressed with the MB Sprinter chassis, but wasn't thinking of a 20 FC as the towed vehicle. That 5000lb limit is an issue with the Sprinter chassis - and that weight limit is consistent among RV manufacturers using that chassis. Even the GVW 5300lb Jeep diesel as a toad on an Interstate exceeds it and if went the toad route would be forced to something on the F450 V10 gasser chassis and it's typical 8000lb tow rating. Thanks but no thanks.

While I wasn't thinking used on the TDI Tourareg, it appears that VW is applying the same "no sale" policy as the 2.0 TDI vehicles, relegating them to the back lot as non-performing inventory - both new and used - until the issue is resolved. I tried to do a web search on the VW site to see what was available, and the search menu has totally removed diesel engine as a search limit. That said, there is no reason for Touareg owners to sell, other than independently, unless absolutely have to, as they are going to take a huge hit if dealers can't sell them. Even if non-VW dealers continue to sell them, they will use the scandal issues and elusive "auction prices" as a reason to lowball a trade. (I use to work at Lexus of Orlando and have seen used car managers in action,) When VW finally lifts the "no sale", there will be a lot of new 2015's coming off the back lot, but nothing in the pipeline to resupply.

While you already have the trailer, I am looking at the combo, purchasing one to support the other. While I would love a truck for other reasons, wife ultimately becomes the decision maker after an Workmans Comp ACL repair, she has no cartilage in one of her knees, so stepping up into a truck - particurally 3/4 ton - could be an issue. With the Jeep/Touareg you sit over which she likes about her Fiat 500, as opposed to my Passat where you sit down in. One option in my combo purchase decision is the Class B/C Sprinter chassis RV would rule out the 4x4 Jeep and either dolly tow her (automatic) Fiat 500, or getting something 4 wheel towable like the Ford Fusion Hybrid or Chev Malibu, both of which you sit down in but are in the 3500-4000 GVW range. Of course the other option on Class C would be to get the Jeep/Touareg with on of the V10 gassers. Even at 8 mpg, the approx. $30,000 priced difference to the Sprinters would more than cover it even with gassers later taking more of a trade-in hit if for no other reason than oversupply in the used market. Decisions, decisions.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:44 PM   #338
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
P/V/A TDIs

I'm still seeing the Porsche Cayenne TDIs FS with a 6 yr./100k mi warranty at the Porsche dealers, as well as from independents without the CPO (although Porsche supposedly extended them all to max 10yr/100k CPO to cover the issues long term).

There was one newly listed on Car Guru's at a P-dealer in the Southeast (AL) just this morning IIRC.

So maybe go upscale on a low mile cream puff 2013-15 used .... er, excuuuuuse me! .... "pre-owned" Cayenne TDI & hope for better customer care from Porsche, than VW/Audi are doing now with their "Ostrich Act"!?

Can't beat the bigger brakes, better more sway resistant suspension & goodies of a Cayenne!

I'm still looking at the V8 gasser CayS myself, since I don't want to mess with the diesel stuff, nor any Cal ARB/DMV smog check issues in 5-10 years ..... but might just get swayed for the right one at the right price.

Another issue on the Sprinter - or any van as a TV, is the larger frontal area creating more aerodynamic drag for the engine to overcome. IMHO the lower sleeker SUV or pick-up will retain more "usable" HP & TQ.

Good Luck with your searches guys!
Tom
///////

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #339
ARF
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Waban , Massachusetts
Mud flaps for Audi Q5?

We will be towing our new AS with our Audi Q5 TDI. (Yes - our rig will be setup by CanAm.) I welcome experience-based recommendations on the following:
  • Should I install mud flaps?
  • If so, on just rear wheels or all four wheels?
  • Use genuine Audi mud flaps or is there a better after market mud flap?

Thanks, Allen
Old 06-21-2016, 05:35 PM   #340
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Arf,

I have towed a 25FB for about 6K miles with a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI. Your Q5 has the same engine and you will be very happy with the power. My one concern would be the lighter weight and shorter wheelbase of the Q5. Not sure if that will be a problem with the bigger and heavier 27 or not. For mudflaps I would get a set of Rock Tamers that mount to the hitch. I learned the hard way that regular mud flaps just don't do the job well.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #341
2 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Orillia , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARF View Post
We will be towing our new AS with our Audi Q5 TDI. (Yes - our rig will be setup by CanAm.) I welcome experience-based recommendations on the following:
  • Should I install mud flaps?
  • If so, on just rear wheels or all four wheels?
  • Use genuine Audi mud flaps or is there a better after market mud flap?

Thanks, Allen
Hi Allen,
I tow a 28FC with the Q5 TDI. So far so good! Trailer purchased from Can-Am and hitch set up by them.

I do not have mud flaps but have considered buying them. I looked at rock tamers but I am pretty certain they will not fit on the hitch once Can-Am has finished setting it up. If you think you may go this route I would let Can-Am know before they start installing things.

When I do buy mud flaps I WILL get the Audi ones. After all, isn't that what the loyalty cash is for?

Kevin
Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #342
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
VW TDI Settlement Announced

I saw the VW announcement for their TDI settlement on the VW & Audi 2.0L TDIs, but it says nothing about the 3.0L V6 TDI in the Cayennes, Touaregs, & Q7s in there.

Here are links to the Autoweek online article & to the settlement website, for those with the 2L TDIs FYI ....

http://autoweek.com/car-news/vw-dies...n=awdailydrive

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 AM   #343
1 Rivet Member

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
I saw the VW announcement for their TDI settlement on the VW & Audi 2.0L TDIs, but it says nothing about the 3.0L V6 TDI in the Cayennes, Touaregs, & Q7s in there.

Here are links to the Autoweek online article & to the settlement website, for those with the 2L TDIs FYI ....

http://autoweek.com/car-news/vw-dies...n=awdailydrive

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
Yes, I saw that. It is nice to go on scouting trips to dealers and say "Volkswagen told me I would be buying a new car in November." It automatically takes the sales person out of the 'do it today' mentality as they know there is no way they can match that deal today on a trade. But they have to support your research, test drives and all, as they know you will be buying, even if you bought identical (or gas version) of what driving today. The numbers don't add up to get it fixed alternative as you suddenly have a car depreciated to today's market rather than Sept 2015 with all the wear and tear to further lower the value. Basically, you get a do over.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #344
2 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
The only out of spec issue is the tongue weight.
I have a 2006 Cayenne S with the 7700 / 616 sticker and based on the info in the thread, I believe the hitch can handle the 770 lbs of the orig stickers.

I rented a 20 ft FC last week and stopped at a CAT scale to get the weights on each axle. Unfortunately, I was communicating with the operator by speaker phone and he didn't tell me that both axels of the Cayenne was on the same scale . The results were 6580 lbs for the Cayenne and 4040 for the FC.

My guesstimate was that the loaded FC weighed about 4,640 (168 lbs of water + 200) which means that the Cayenne was supporting 600 trailer lbs. We used a Reese WD hitch.

We're in the market for a 25' FC and I want to use the hitch unmodded

Dave
Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #345
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Ahoy all, newbie here

I've spent countless of hours, or rather weeks reading and researching and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface about this whole new airstreaming adventure our family is about to invest in for the next 20 years <grin>. Anyhoo, I upgraded from my Audi AllRoad to a used 2014 Touareg TDI and about to pickup our new 23D this weekend. For those of you that has this same model, what mirrors works best for you? I really like the Milenco Aero 3 design but looking at my side view mirror, I don't see how it'll 'clip' on all that well. Any suggestion would appreciated, thank you all!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #346
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
The Milenco Aeros should work well. The clips can be used around the top of the mirror frame or the bottom. Make sure you get them on tight. I have lost one that we "adjusted" from in the car and must have worked loose. You should have good line of sight down both sides of your 23.
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #347
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsborito , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiobrits View Post
The Milenco Aeros should work well. The clips can be used around the top of the mirror frame or the bottom. Make sure you get them on tight. I have lost one that we "adjusted" from in the car and must have worked loose. You should have good line of sight down both sides of your 23.
I pinged another member here and he liked the JR Products Aero 2 Towing Mirrors. I originally was going w/ the Milenco Aero 3 but they both look pretty identical other than the JR is quite a bit more expensive. Both confirmed works great, only question is which two is better made? TIA!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #348
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg, Audi Q7 owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadRunnei2 View Post
I pinged another member here and he liked the JR Products Aero 2 Towing Mirrors. I originally was going w/ the Milenco Aero 3 but they both look pretty identical other than the JR is quite a bit more expensive. Both confirmed works great, only question is which two is better made? TIA!

I believe they are one and the same. If I'm not mistaken JR Products is the distributer in the US.
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #349
2 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Kingsville , Ontario
Hey Fcloud9, I was wondering is your Touareg a 3.6l gas engine? We are considering one of these (used) to tow our 24 Tradewind...thanks , Mike
Old 09-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #350
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2oadRunnei2 View Post
Ahoy all, newbie here

I've spent countless of hours, or rather weeks reading and researching and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface about this whole new airstreaming adventure our family is about to invest in for the next 20 years <grin>. Anyhoo, I upgraded from my Audi AllRoad to a used 2014 Touareg TDI and about to pickup our new 23D this weekend. For those of you that has this same model, what mirrors works best for you? I really like the Milenco Aero 3 design but looking at my side view mirror, I don't see how it'll 'clip' on all that well. Any suggestion would appreciated, thank you all!
Those clip-on mirrors drove me crosseyed with all their vibration, & didn't get out far enough to see past the trailer anyway (as required by Calif. law), so I got the McKesh strap on the door mirrors from Hensley, & have been very happy (also recco getting the optional fisheye mirrors too), & their extension range is adjustable.

https://hensleymfg.com/product/mckes...owing-mirrors/

Here's a pic of them on someone's Cayenne (we don't have one yet) - it's the black mirror extending well beyond the Cayenne's blue factory mirror (& well beyond what the clip-ons do):

Cheers!
Tom
///////