Old 05-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bldog View Post
My question is do you need the additional brace for the 23? The hitch weight is still below the VW limit. I do think the 25 would require additional support .

Also, performance towing the 25 ? Does the whole rig feel sluggish? Some earlier posts suggested the trailer would be too long for the VW to tow comfortably.
Bldog, do you need a reinforced hitch for these vehicles and a 23? Probably not but for the cost of a few hundred dollars, I think the piece of mind is worth it. The receivers on these vehicles are very robust but they are not designed for weight distribution which applies an upward moment (twisting force) to the receiver as it transfers weight back to the front axle. The receiver will tend to deflect upwards with this kind of load despite the tongue weight acting down. The brace linking the receiver to the rear suspension member resists this upward lifting. Its worth noting also that there is at least one streamer on here with a Touareg who was I believe towing a 30 footer without modifications and did not report any receiver defection or issues. For a 23 I think you are right on the bubble of mod or don't mod (in my opinion).

On your other question relative to towing a 25 - absolutely no problem! Lots and lots of people doing it. I'm pulling a 27 with no issues. Attached are a few pictures of a 30 footer set up by Can-Am for Porsche as a demo (this is the diesel). Piece of cake....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cayenne n 30ft 1 copy.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	238325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cayenne n 30ft 2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	238326  

Name:	Cayenne n 30ft 3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	238327  

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
You tow that with THAT!!!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
On the other hand, everyone stops by our campsite and typically comments ....."so you pull your little Airstream with this VW"!
We're thinking about getting a sign for the Touareg to mount - "yes I really tow this little Airstream".
FCloud9, LOL, I get the incredulous look all the time. I'm starting to enjoy it.....the "you tow that with THAT!!!!?" and the bulging eyes and spraying spittle....until they regain composure. If I had a $ for each time someone said that I'd be paying cash for a Land Yacht to add to my collection....

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 05-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Hitch Sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschellent View Post
We also had a round and round with VW after we bought the Touareg in 2011 because the sticker on the hitch set both conventional and weight distributing limits. This contradicted the information in the owner's manual which stated not to use weight distributing hitches. VW was supposed to send us new stickers, which I understand they attach to newer model Touareg hitches which do not include the weight distribution limits.

Has anyone else with TDI had issues with "Add Blue" problems?
jschellent, my 2014 Porsche receiver (essentially identical to the VW item) had a label that stated max tongue weight at 616lbs without WD and 616 with WD. The Porsche manual does not state not to use WD (from what I remember). Note that the max tongue weight was reduced from 770 lbs (10%) to 616 at some point in the last few years. Folks on ClubTouareg had a very lengthy post on the subject if you are interested. I don't think there was a conclusion as to why it was reduced.

From my perspective, if you are not using WD (per VW) and drop nearly 800 lbs on the receiver I expect it would a be a bit of a handful to drive with the front wheel elevated and light steering. Of course we use WD so 700 or 800 lbs back there properly distributed is not an issue.
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
The only issue we have recently faced was an "Add Blue" crisis after travellling on BLM dirt roads. It snuck up on us without warning messages and we ended up at Clear Lake State Park in CA with a final warning message that if we turned off the ingintion we would not be able to restart, even if we added more "Blue". It necessitated calls to VW Dealers to schedule an end of the day emergency appointment to have the software reset. It was a 160 mile round trip to VW Dealer in Santa Rosa. We now carry "Blue" as part of our emergency kit and check "Blue" levels daily.

the only time we had an ad blue issue, is when we took it into the dealer for one of its 10,000 mile service, and the shop guy "forgot" to top it off. We were in Dakota farm country five years ago, and no one knew of the Ad Blue... we got to two starts left warning before we found a auto store that had blue... from there, two hundred miles to a dealer for reset, and then a hundred miles before the warning went off. I know insist on the mechanic stating on the receipt that it was filled, and never had it run out between 10,000 mile service (of course I do not do my own service work at all). Caught it being missed on top up last service on the road. Worth a double check, because it is difficult to find "Blue" in the national forest back woods. Great times, great vehicles.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #19
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Thank you all for the great posts and lots of information.

I am at this point actually wondering whether anyone knows of a hitch failure on any of these SUVs? I am leaning towards getting my hitch modified after swapping our 20ft FC to the 25 International, but I hesitate to add a trip from the Bay area up to Canada just for modifying our Pepe; perhaps there is a local shop with experience. But again, perhaps the whole point of need for modification is just a myth and even at 100b over the structure of these SUVs is providing lots of room before failures are becoming a reality. Although this said, I do not want to be the first one to experiment.

So, perhaps the second question is who pulls 23, 25, 27, 30ft Airstreams without modifications and what is your experience?
Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
You don't need to come up to Canada - unless you wish to, summer is beautiful here. Many people have noted that the modification is a relatively simple procedure.

If you ask, I am sure people would share pictures of their setup, for you to copy.

Having said that, CanAm know what they are doing, so perhaps it is worth the trip.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuff View Post
Thank you all for the great posts and lots of information.

I am at this point actually wondering whether anyone knows of a hitch failure on any of these SUVs? I am leaning towards getting my hitch modified after swapping our 20ft FC to the 25 International, but I hesitate to add a trip from the Bay area up to Canada just for modifying our Pepe; perhaps there is a local shop with experience. But again, perhaps the whole point of need for modification is just a myth and even at 100b over the structure of these SUVs is providing lots of room before failures are becoming a reality. Although this said, I do not want to be the first one to experiment.

So, perhaps the second question is who pulls 23, 25, 27, 30ft Airstreams without modifications and what is your experience?
I towed with Touaregs (V8 & V10 diesel) for 8 years with a 19' Bambi and a 25FB. No issues with either and actually towed the Bambi without WD...and only a friction sway bar. The OEM hitch on Touaregs is pretty substantial but you have to watch your payload. Full spare in car and no more gear in trunk aside from empty water jugs or other lightweight/bulky items. Generator, stove and other stuff in tubs in rear of trailer. Spend some time at the scales. All of this has been discussed over and over if you do a search.

However, if you decide to do the hitch reinforcement, I suggest removing the bathtub muffler and routing the support straight back instead of wrapping it around the muffler and reducing your clearance. Here is a photo of a V10 (sans mufflers) with the exhaust rerouted. Any good hitch shop can do the modification to your hitch.
Attached Images

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #22

Towing

We tow a Sport 22 FB with a 2013 Touareg turbo diesel with absolutely no problem. Do have an equalizer hitch and stabilizer. The VW is so nimble and with the diesel it is like having nothing behind. Have gotten as high as 19mpg depending on terrain. Easy going all the way and no problems in the mountains.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Howard , Ohio
Rear muffler delete - receiver mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
However, if you decide to do the hitch reinforcement, I suggest removing the bathtub muffler and routing the support straight back instead of wrapping it around the muffler and reducing your clearance. Here is a photo of a V10 (sans mufflers) with the exhaust rerouted. Any good hitch shop can do the modification to your hitch.
mojo - spot on! Here are a couple of pictures of my receiver mod. The muffler is removed. On a diesel with the cats and particulate filter there is next to no increase in noise without the muffler. You will notice some more noise at full throttle, windows down when towing since the exhaust sound bounces back off the AS. Sounds a bit like a huge volume of air rushing through an orifice. Not unpleasant. Unhitched windows up or down you will not hear any appreciable difference. I had my mods done by a local custom exhaust shop. I provided the 2.5" square tube and plate sourced from McMaster Carr. You can order online and have shipped. Not the most cost effective way of sourcing the material but convenient. The safety chain loop was from Amazon.

There is also a recent thread with some photos of the Can-Am style mod (muffler in place) here. Thread is about a Merc but the photos are of a Touareg/Cayenne and a Q7. Modification in this way does reduce ground clearance by about 2" which may be a concern.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0083_2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	238378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084_2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	238379  

Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Old 05-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
I should have said that with our 2014 VW Touareg we are using a Reese WD system. With that hooked up you hardly know you are towing anything, until you check the rear-view mirror and wonder who the **** is tail-gating you!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
We tow our 2014 Airstream FC 20' FB with new to us 2011 Touareg Sport and Equalizer Hitch setup.
Coming up on our 1st year anniversary of ownership with over 120 nights camped, 10,000 + miles and typical mileage is 15-17 mpg driving 55-62 mph. Our experience has included many 7-15% grades and we really enjoy our setup.
On the other hand, everyone stops by our campsite and typically comments ....."so you pull your little Airstream with this VW"!
We're thinking about getting a sign for the Touareg to mount - "yes I really tow this little Airstream".

We get same question about our Lexus RX350 towing our 20' - "Yes, tows like a dream!"

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 05-17-2015, 09:51 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Uh, I'm not exactly in the Cayenne, Touareg, Q7 club. We have an LR3. Wondering if I can interject a question in this thread -we are trying to get the LR3 ready to tow, complete newbies, and now evaluating whether we need to get new tires. The LR3 currently has the Nokian WR G3 SUV Severe Winter and All Weather tires which I had put on the car after the crappy tires hubby put on it slid on the ice/snow at 20mph. I was determined to put the best winter tires on it. And these, unlike other "all weather" tires were better rated for all seasons so we could just leave them on all year .... but, probably not for towing, right?

So, question is, what kind of tires are best for towing with these types of SUVs?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:34 PM   #27
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
The Nokians will be fine, they just may wear a little quicker.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
dickinson and san marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
love this thread

i love this thread because it just shows that you dont need a 3/4 ton truck to tow safely and enjoy it in style. and more than that, when you arent towing, you have a great vehicle. since i drive a porsche cayman s i had considered these options but landed up going with a bmw x5 diesel which is a similar genre of vehicle. it is great and appears to have similar results to those posted above. my concern was that if i was in the middle of nowhere the porsche dealer was probably going to be further away than the bmw dealer. may or may not be true. soon will be looking for another daily driver and may very well look at the porsche again.