Old 12-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool69 View Post
I finaly but a v6 cayenne 08

the price and the condition is realy good

I will make my first trip one the next week and hope the engine will not be to hard ..
I wouldn't worry about the V6. It is more than sufficient to tow 7700 lbs. VW/Porsche's gearing selections were carefully done. The V8 would be a bit faster, not downshift as much, and run at lower revs. However, the V6 will do the job just fine if you are patient.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:09 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs) 7716
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs) 772
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs) 7716
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs) 1157
Maximum Trailering Capacity (lbs) 7716
Good information that I don't think is good information:

First: I trust Porsche's advertised numbers more than Autoguide's. 617 lbs. is the magic answer until I see some Porsche literature to corroborate Autoguide's.

Second: Think about it. There is no way that a Cayenne S has over 1100 lbs of allowable tongue weight when using WD. That is more than most 3/4 ton trucks.

Third: You are using 2015 numbers for a 2008 vehicle.

Fourth: If the loaded trailer's tongue weight exceeds 957 lbs. (likely?) and we use Autoguide's questionable numbers, then installing a Hensley hitch will still put this setup over the limits.

I still say don't do it.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
Good information that I don't think is good information:
Agreed. Everything printed regarding the translation of weights and specs from European standards to American standards is subject to speculation and interpretation. The owners manuals are known to have many errors. But Cayenne and Touareg specs and weights are quite similar. They share many of the same parts and build standards although Porsche owners deny it because they paid $10K more for the Cayenne.

Anyway I have been towing AS with Touaregs for 7 years now and average around 15K miles per year with F150 and Touareg. I have learned how to load my trailer and car to distribute the weight to my satisfaction. And it works. I have spoken with Canam about reinforcement but do not believe it is necessary. This is my real world experience.

Tell us about towing your 16' Bambi with your Cayenne?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Touareg 770#.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	229420  

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
I agree with you MOJO....
I have spoken with Canam about reinforcement but do not believe it is necessary. This is my real world experience.

I will keep you in touch

but the first trip was so easy....

may be in the long way ...

thank hyou
Old 12-30-2014, 03:17 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Tell us about towing your 16' Bambi with your Cayenne?
That's just absurd. You, fine sir, are deserving of one big old chill pill. I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'm delighted that you've found a way to convince yourself that your TV/TT combo is safe. My purpose for posting on this topic was to try to protect the OP from his own enthusiasm. His setup will not be safe as described.

I don't want to be the poor guy who is following the OP when his hitch separates from his TV. Do you?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hitches never separate at highway speed it always happens when going slowly through a dip like entering a gas station or a rough campsite. There have been many GM truck hitches that have broken off and that is always where it has occurred.

I think the VW / Porsche hitch is fine for a 19, It would be a good idea to strengthen it for a 25'. Removing the spare and relocating the batteries is another option but fixing the hitch is easier.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
I realy dont understand why I need strengthen my porche??

too many number for me ...
Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #22
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Similar info on Cayenne S at my post

Socool69 -

You may have already seen a similar post I did asking about the V8 Cayenne S as a TV for our 20' Avion T20. The Avion factory document has dry weight 2680 pounds & 275 pounds hitch weight, but the wet & loaded with options & all is probably 2800-3000 pounds - no more than 3500. So it's lighter than your 25-27' modern Airstream.

I use the Hensley Cub on it, in anticipation of eventually getting a mid-size SUV to tow it with eventually, but renting trucks & SUVs for now.

Here's the link:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...8s-128005.html

I did my Cayenne S V8 post topic separate, since you were asking about the V6 Cayenne here, but there is info applicable to both V6 & S over there. We're just starting to look for one seriously, now that both my wife & I are getting tired of the rental truck/SUV thing.

Hope your Cayenne & Airstream work out the way you want!

Best Wishes!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by socool69 View Post
I realy dont understand why I need strengthen my porche??

too many number for me ...
It's strengthening the factory hitch assembly's welds only - not your entire Porsche Cayenne.

As I understand it - the Cayenne/Taureg/Audi Q7 hitches need the welds reinforced, as do those on the BMW X5 & Mercedes ML & GL hitches - mainly because they don't use weight distributing hitches in Europe, so they didn't design them to withstand that WD force.

Of course Andy T. from CanAm posting above can explain it better, plus he says some GM hitches were not up to snuff either - so the folks with the Big 3 full size trucks have some concerns as well.

I agree, the numbers thrown around can be confusing & overwhelming, but it's good to go thru it all. Since Andy & others have in fact towed 27-30' Airstreams & other similar size/weight trailers with Cayennes, I suspect that you'll be just fine with yours too.

If it were me - I'd get your Cayenne's hitch reinforced at CanAm to be safe - especially with your being so close - at least relative to me way off in SoCal!

Tom
///////

PS - This is the same Tom from the janabanana48 posts above - I just opened my own account so I get the notice emails to my account, instead of my wife's email.
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Coral Gables , Florida
How big is the trailer that you tow with your Cayenne diesel?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , North Carolina
Does anyone have the details of the necessary hitch reinforcement welds? I am considering using a Cayenne as a TV and so will need these details. I can't get to Can Am either, too far away.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #26
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
There are no hitch reinforcement welds. The OEM hitch is built stronger than many US truck hitches. The modification that Canam makes is the addition of a bar from the hitch forward to the body near the rear axle. This will add strength and resist any torsional twist up and down to the unibody hitch. It's a personal decision as to it's necessity.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
There are no hitch reinforcement welds. The OEM hitch is built stronger than many US truck hitches. The modification that Canam makes is the addition of a bar from the hitch forward to the body near the rear axle. This will add strength and resist any torsional twist up and down to the unibody hitch. It's a personal decision as to it's necessity.
There is this myth being propagated in towing threads that German vehicles do not have a proper hitch and that reinforcement is necessary. The only issue I've heard of with the German vehicle hitches was the Flex-and-Gate hitch on early ML/GL models that has been fixed for several years now. The current Oris hitch is good. The previous Oris hitch on GL/ML (prior to Flex-and-Gate) was wonderful, beefier than some heavy duty truck hitches. The VW/Audi/Porsche hitch is also very stout.

Of course if you put 1200# on hitch rated at 600# it may break. This does not point an issue with the hitch, but rather an issue with the user.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
mont st hilaire , Quebec
gaz milage

I make my fisrt trip and tow with my cayenne v6 and 25 airstream

Im very happy easy to tow ... very nice suv

AND I MAKE ARROUND 12 TO 13.5 mi/gal WOW

I dont remark anyting wrong and the engine run arroud 2000 rpm near 55-60 mph

nice ride ...