Old 05-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
you are just fooling yourself.e85 in the short time it has been available has had an effect on food prices.in the winter the usa buys fruit and veggies from south american farmers. the whole idea to camp is to get away,ESCAPE the problems of society.go campin'.build a fire . burn a hot dog.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich
...e85 in the short time it has been available...
Since at least 1908. The Ford model T and model A were designed to use ethanol.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
e85 is not perfect. It is however a direction we must go in to achieve the production capacity using switchgrass and sugar. Much of the bad press on e85 is spread by the oil companies using outdated information on old e85 production methods. Currently 5 100 million gallon plants are in production through out the midwest. It is here and the US government is in it big time. Currently all US military bases are installing or already have e85 facilities. That should tell you something. It is very much an alternative fuel, works great and burns clean. O, and by the way, between oct and march we towed 15k miles and stayed in our a/s over 92 nights. We "camp" more than most on this forum. Escape? I call it much better than motels.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie rich
you are just fooling yourself.e85 in the short time it has been available has had an effect on food prices.in the winter the usa buys fruit and veggies from south american farmers. the whole idea to camp is to get away,ESCAPE the problems of society.go campin'.build a fire . burn a hot dog.
Oil prices have not had an effect on food prices? Fertilizer, Fuel for Tractors, Transportation of Product, ect..... Oil prices have had an effect on the price of just about everything!

This would be a much better conversation sitting around a campfire while burning a hotdog, and washing it down with an E85 price effected beer!
Old 05-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
you wont be eating corn.it takes what a person eats in corn a year to fill an suv tank just once.do you really want to do that to everybody.all of this alternative fuel talk is a rehash of the 70;s.back then ,talking about it made us look independent,but we weren't then and we are not now.methane might work.there is no short supply on this site.especially after you burn that hot dog
Old 05-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL
=The best way is to stop all formulations of different fuels for different states and this way we can expect reduce price and second is to start drilling for our own oil. We have enought oil in Alaska, Montana, North Dacota to run our economy for the next 100 years
maybe even a crazier idea is to reduce our dependance on oil and seek out alternative ways of doing things

to the original post, great link and great idea. the only question i have is the guy mentioned lifetime batteries which are only 15 years, so what happens to the batteries after that?

i for one will be glad when my 2 year old son turns 16 and gets an all electric vehicle or some other form of alternative power for his first car

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
one model t design ran on magnetic force ,so i hear.dont see that around either.all good alternative fuel ideas.........that were squashed.dont be offended,drive around obstacles like a good driver to get to the campground.it only makes good sense.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Mr. Rich seems to have a certain level of contempt for those interested in conserving what fossil fuels remain and exploring alternatives. I really don't understand that attitude.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Mr. Rich seems to have a certain level of contempt for those interested in conserving what fossil fuels remain and exploring alternatives. I really don't understand that attitude.
do you understand that even a great idea will never come into fruition when twarthed by a controlling few? read back,i've been a conservatioist before the media decided it was profitable to air such a view.i surely have no contempt for conservation. regrettably......i know the score.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
Grass Makes Better Ethanol than Corn Does: Scientific American

...... Whats this, the government partially funding the construction of alternative fuel projects ....

Corn is old school, but makes a good drink!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorthAir
Grass Makes Better Ethanol than Corn Does: Scientific American

...... Whats this, the government partially funding the construction of alternative fuel projects ....

Corn is old school, but makes a good drink!
VERY old school,and still we use gas. ethanol in 1908....very much an alternative fuel...government funding....repetative old school,and still we wait.i did like "OLD SCHOOL" the movie.i'll have a doubble ethanol straight up 2 olives.is my hot dog ready ?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorthAir
Oil prices have not had an effect on food prices? Fertilizer, Fuel for Tractors, Transportation of Product, ect..... Oil prices have had an effect on the price of just about everything!

This would be a much better conversation sitting around a campfire while burning a hotdog, and washing it down with an E85 price effected beer!
To be fair, the recent increases in the price of beer have more to do with the world-wide hops shortage than they do with rising fuel prices.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
if i burn ethanol to save fossil fuel but lease a new tow vehcle every 3 years which a factory has to build from scratch,how does this plan save any kind of fuel.oh my glass is empty . are there any more hot dogs?
Old 05-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
if you have brains,you can change the world.if you have money all you can do is change your mind.saw a man the other day on a bicycle.behind the rear wheel was another wheel with an electric motor.the whole thing was attached with a brace to the rear axle .he didn't wait for his bicycle lease to be up.heard there is similar auto 5th wheel low tech add on. O by the way,the U.S. uses 400 million gallons of gas every day.a 100 million gallon tank of ethenol will only last 'till brunch.the massive land use alone for e85 is just another ecological disaster. .....time to check my hot dog!