Old 11-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Baltimore , Maryland
Please help settle this!

My wife and I plan on purchasing a small (used) Airstream in the next year or so -- my wife is in love with the Bambi, but she's not locked in on one. What she is fixed on is the idea that we will be able to tow it with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited once the Jeep is properly equiped for towing.

I'm extremely doubtful, but nothing I've shown her to date has changed her mind. Maybe she's right.

Please help -- this forum is much cheaper than marriage counseling.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
At reasonable speeds and loads it should work OK

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
OK, just to make sure the issue is understood: you both want a small Airstream, but you want it bigger than a Bambi? Do I have that right? What size do you want?

Regarding the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, what does it's manufacturer say it will tow (in terms of weight)?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wemmick View Post
My wife and I plan on purchasing a small (used) Airstream in the next year or so -- my wife is in love with the Bambi, but she's not locked in on one. What she is fixed on is the idea that we will be able to tow it with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited once the Jeep is properly equiped for towing.

I'm extremely doubtful, but nothing I've shown her to date has changed her mind. Maybe she's right.

Please help -- this forum is much cheaper than marriage counseling.
That is not a good tow vehicle because of it's short wheel base.

Andy
Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It depends on your Jeep....is it the four door, long wheelbase model? If so, I believe they have a 5000lb towing capacity, and would do OK with a 16 footer.

If it's the two door version, Jeep doesn't recommend towing anything with it. I don't know, maybe it's capable of towing a small boat, or 1000lb utility.

Have you considered a Toyota FJ Cruiser? Much more capable vehicle (towing 5000lbs.), and much bettter creature comforts.

And, welcome to the forum.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
"Jeep® Wrangler allows you to conquer any terrain, but it also has a healthy 2,000-pound towing capacity when properly equipped." (Quote from Jeep Web site.)

You didn't mention which Airstream model, length and year you are interested in towing. However, with only 2,000 pounds towing capacity, I think most Airstreams will be out of the question.

We have a 2005, 19-foot Bambi, which is fairly small, and I think it weighs about 4,400 or 4,500 pounds. The 16-foot model is lighter, but I suspect it is still much more than 2,000 pounds.

The Jeep site lists possible towed items as "folding camping trailers, small boats, motorcycles and snowmobiles"; so, sorry, but I don't think an Airstream is in your future, unless you get a larger tow vehicle.

===============

Sorry, wrong Jeep model; that should be 3,500 pounds, single axle trailers up to 18-feet.

The 16-foot Bambi is 3,500 pounds, but that would put you right at the max for the Jeep. Just my personal opinion, but I'd rather err on side of safety and get a larger tow vehicle. I think you'll be much happier in the long run, with less wear and tear on engine, brakes, etc., and probably better fuel economy, too.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
It's not the towing you have to worry about, it's the stopping or sudden maneuvering in traffic. I have a '76 CJ-5 (not an Unlimited, I know, but still a small Jeep), and I wouldn't think about towing with it, even though Jeep says I can tow 2,000lbs. The wheelbase is too short.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #8

Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
OK, just to make sure the issue is understood: you both want a small Airstream, but you want it bigger than a Bambi? Do I have that right? What size do you want?

Regarding the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, what does it's manufacturer say it will tow (in terms of weight)?
Thanks.

I should have been more clear -- she wants a Bambi if at all possible. The Wrangler towing capacity is listed as 3,500 lbs.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
So you want us to talk you out of buying an Airstream (you don't want one at all)?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Check in at CanAmRV.ca - they've been running tests on towing with all kinds of vehicles for many years and many miles. My favorite vid on their website is the Mini towing an Airstream.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #11

Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
So you want us to talk you out of buying an Airstream (you don't want one at all)?
Far from it. I need hard evidence that the Jeep is just not the tow vehicle we need. Everytime I bring up the Wrangler's lack of sufficient power, my wife refers to a tow system dealer in Canada who -- she says -- can solve the problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
LOL - call CanAmRV and ask. If they say it won't work, you get to buy a new toy. If they say it will work, you save a lot of money.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Have you considered a Toyota FJ Cruiser? Much more capable vehicle (towing 5000lbs.), and much bettter creature comforts.

And, welcome to the forum.
x2 on both.

Then again, I might be biased on the FJ. I can only compare it to a 2-door Wrangler, a Suburban, and a Tacoma for towing, but out of those it won (for various reasons). Just one man's opinion.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Welcome to the forum!

You've also just stepped on this particular sub-forum's land mine! To sum it up: car and truck manufacturers rate the towing abilities of their vehicles, then people on this forum argue over the value of those numbers. It seems to me like there are three camps: 1) the max towing weight is THE MAX and, just to be safe, you should try to stay about 10%-15% under it, 2) the max towing weight is THE MAX, don't go over it but you're fine up to that amount, 3) when properly equipped and modified, many vehicles can safely tow over the max weight, it's all a matter of power, gearing, cooling, wheelbase, rear overhang, etc.. All of the groups assume that you're properly equipped to tow although there is some disagreement as to what "properly equipped" means, especially in regards to your hitch setup.

Basically, you will get a lot of good advice and opinions here but you are very unlikely to get the final word on anything.

My $.02$ That Wrangler's not going to be a comfortable tow vehicle and I wouldn't feel safe towing with its short wheel base. That said, don't let anyone here convince you to get a 3/4ton diesel to tow a Bambi. You'll do just fine with an SUV and, given the Wrangler's so-so fuel economy, you'll probably use less gas.