Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #61
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hans, I think the hitch manufacturers are talking about the hitch, not the vehicle. The vehicle may be less or more. Take the lowest number as the limit.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I suspect that if you turned a short wheelbased tow vehicle- trailer combo into a solid single unit through a very stiff anti sway bar- hitch system, you could come up with sort of an underpowered articuting mobile home, with brakes all around? Extremely stiff anti sway.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Smile Asked and answered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wemmick View Post
Everytime I bring up the Wrangler's lack of sufficient power, my wife refers to a tow system dealer in Canada who -- she says -- can solve the problem.
There's your answer, right there. Your wife has specified what she wants--Wrangler towing a Bambi--and who she is willing to accept as an arbitrator--CanAm RV.

If CanAm says you can do it, then take their advice, and you should have a happy wife.

And--even more importantly--if she's not happy with the combination, she can direct her ire at CanAm RV, not you!

As you have figured out by now, the very title of this thread contains a logical impossibility: Nothing is ever settled on AirForums--the argument goes on forever!

Good luck!
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
There's your answer, right there. Your wife has specified what she wants--Wrangler towing a Bambi--and who she is willing to accept as an arbitrator--CanAm RV.

If CanAm says you can do it, then take their advice, and you should have a happy wife.

And--even more importantly--if she's not happy with the combination, she can direct her ire at CanAm RV, not you!
Well spotted.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've made at least a dozen trips over Wolf Creek Pass pulling a fully loaded t@b or an 18' boat with a 2010 Wrangler UNLIMITED. The Unlimited is the 4 door with the long wheelbase and the factory installed tow package. With four wheel disc brakes and 3:73 rear end, it makes a decent tow vehicle. Opt for the Rubicon package an you get 4:11 gears. Mine has the Sahara package and it's very comfortable.

And, the visibility from a Wrangler Unlimited is certainly superior to that of an FJ!

The JK has a wheelbase about one-inch shorter than a 1970 Plymouth Fury, the same power and weighs more. Not to mention better brakes, traction & stability control, etc.

As with circa 1970 towing, factory towing "limits" are guidelines. Do the hitch rigging correctly.

I agree with ROBERT CROSS that there are better long distance TV's. But I wouldn't consider a Bambi for full-timing either.

Towing a Bambi won't be a problem.

CAN AM Parade

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Ooo, I hadn't seen that thread - thanks, Rednax.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I agree... however the current Wrangler can only be optioned up to a MAX towing capacity of 2500lbs... with a class 2 receiver.

This eliminates any WD system that I know of... even if you could find an Airstream that light. My Basecamp was the lightest current AS... and it was 2000lbs empty.
According to the Jeep website, the Wrangler UNLIMITED (long wheel base) with the 3.6 V6 puts out 285 HorsePower and 260 Foot Pounds of torque with the 6-speed manual or 5 speed automatic and is RATED TO TOW 3500#.

See my earlier post regarding the towing capacity of a Wrangler UNLIMITED!!!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
Oh, and going back to the original post in this thread, regarding towing a Bambi with a Wrangler Unlimited....

It appears that the GVWR on a recent Bambi 16' is 3500lbs, with an empty weight of 2900lbs or so. It's toward the top end of the factory rating, but it is within the rating still. Though you might end up over the GCWR depending on how you're equipped.

Unless you mean a classic 1960's Bambi? Then you're looking at around 2000lbs or so, perhaps around 2500lbs or so loaded up. Well within specs for a Wrangler Unlimited.

Of the various Wrangler models, the Sahara would be the best fit for your needs. The suspension is tuned more toward road use than the other models, and the factory tires are lower profile as well.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #69

2011 19 International
Edgewater , Florida
FJ vs Wrangler

I chose the FJ over the Wrangler Unlimited because it has better tow rating. The Jeep max is 3500 lbs, and the FJ has a 5000 lbs max with a max tounge weight of 500 lbs. I pull a 2011 19' International which has a max load rate of 4500 lbs. The tounge weight of the trailer is 550 lbs so I compensate with load leveling hitch. I cruise the interstate at speed with no problems. Gas milage is only fair. If I keep my speed at 60mph I am getting 12 mpg, but when I hold a constant 70 mph to keep up with the flow it drops to 10 mpg. There is no problem with stabilty. Blind spots are not a problem if you are experienced with using your side mirrors. The only draw back is the gas tank. 19 gallons is all you get. I am looking at getting an auxiliary tank that is available from an after market vendor out of California, and also adding air shocks. The big plus of the FJ is that you can unhook your camper and go on some amazing trails that the other tow vehicles can't.
Does anyone have experience with the aux. tank or air bags?
SoonerDawg is offline   Reply With Quote