Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
With that short wheel base, if you have to make a quick maneuver or hit a big side wind blast you may find yourself jack knifed on your side sliding/tumbling in the general direction that you were traveling. Not how I want to wake up in the morning.
Well, I wouldn't want to be asleep while towing...

Quote:
One big side gust is all it takes to start a death wobble that leads to metal and fiberboard showers. I pulled 'em there with a full size tandem axle Peterbilt for that very reason.
So the Peterbilt ought to do ya! The fuel bill is going to kill you, though...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Couple of things... a Jeep Unlimited is not THAT short... the 4 door is 10 inches MORE wheelbase than the FJ that folks are 'recommending'. Now, the issue is the 'max towing' package on the Jeep is only a class II receiver and only rated for 3500lbs... I don't think the limitations are so much because of the wheelbase... but the whole design just isn't meant for towing...

Every tow vehicle is going to have it's benefits and compromises... or we'd all just buy 1 ton duallies and drag whatever we wanted behind. If you like the power train and comforts of an FJ cruiser... why not get the longer wheelbase version (the Tacoma)?

Sooo... all that to say, that it's more typical to see a Jeep being towed behind an RV that the other way around...

Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs down Towing limits

Welcome to the friendliest group of helpfull (and knowledgeble) owners and dealers (Andy).

Using a manufacturers tow limits no matter what, using the old rule of thumb the loaded the trailer should not exceed 80% of the tow capacity, ergo max loaded you may pull 2800 lbs. Now think of the length of the trailer and even with anti sway bars the longer it is the more it wants to command the tow vehicle. In a nutshell you can do almost anthing you want, but safely???

Find the trailer you love then get a TV that's capable of towing it easily.

Happy hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wemmick View Post
Far from it. I need hard evidence that the Jeep is just not the tow vehicle we need. Everytime I bring up the Wrangler's lack of sufficient power, my wife refers to a tow system dealer in Canada who -- she says -- can solve the problem.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 AM   #46
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

This just may be the one instance where the old adage doesn't apply....

Most here would put the cart before the horse...

Clydesdales not withstanding.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
This just may be the one instance where the old adage doesn't apply....

Most here would put the cart before the horse...

Clydesdales not withstanding.

Bob
I just had this awesome image of 6 Clydesdales pulling a 40's Liner through a ghost town. Somebody please make it happen.

Forget about jeeps or Fj's... Get a team of mules. Now you have a real "go anywhere" tow vehicle.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
The Jeep is NOT the right vehicle for the job!!!
The wheelbase is far too short. It's too light, and the drivetrain and power plant is undersized.
That said, you could tow a Bambi with a motorscooter, on level ground and no head wind. The real question is; SHOULD YOU? Of course not!!!
It isn't whether the Jeep has sufficient power to pull the trailer, the question is can you STOP in an emergency?!? NO YOU CAN'T!!!
In an ideal world, you can drive forever without some idiot pulling right in front of you, making you perform a panic stop. In the real world, you WILL have to panic stop sooner or later, and in less than ideal conditions, like when you're going downhill through the mountains at 60 mph.
It WILL happen sooner or later. Count on it. Ask any AS owner how many times it's happened to them.
The Jeep will NOT stop a 4,000 lb trailer at 60mph in an emergency. The trailer WILL take the little Jeep for a cruel ride.
If you doubt me, borrow someone's yard trailer, fill it with 4,000 lbs of dirt and debris, hitch it up to the Jeep, and go out to a vacant parking lot: Get up to about 30 mph and SLAM on the brakes!!! (Make sure you have next of kin standing by, with a cell phone to call 911. Take videos, too.)
You'll find out that there is NO WAY the Jeep is safe at high speed with a heavy trailer.
You'll also need a clean pair of underwear.
Please don't do it!
Having made two "memorable" panic stops under really bad conditions
  1. tractor trailer changed lanes 3 feet in front of me
  2. blew the left rear tire on the old 'burb on a 6 degree grade
I can testify that having a big honkin tow vehicle helped.
I can also testify that I've always adjusted my trailer brakes to be a bit "grabby" and in both cases having the Airstream's brakes smoke the tires turned the trailer into a huge ANCHOR - which really keeps everything going straight instead of sideways.

A yard trailer probably doesn't even have brakes, so your suggestion is only valid if you're testing with a trailer that does. I'm not disagreeing that the Jeep is less than ideal in several respects, but a lot of "what makes the right tow vehicle?" comes down to how often you tow, where you tow and what road conditions you tow in. Lots of people - even Airstreamers - tow their rigs to one campground and visit it there on weekends for the whole summer. Some never go more than a two hour drive from their home base.

To support your position - the LESS you tow... the less experience you have. Overkill on a tow vehicle might be the thing that saves your behind. A professional truck driver can probably tow any Airstream safely even with a marginal to downright crappy tow vehicle.

Years ago when I was young and brave (stupid) I parachuted. The most universally useful advice I got was "ALWAYS pack your own main chute. It's the only way you can be certain the job was done perfectly. ALWAYS have someone ELSE pack your reserve. It's the only way you can be certain that you didn't make the same mistake twice!"

Your attention is your main chute. The tow vehicle is your reserve chute. You don't want to be hurling toward the ground at terminal velocity thinking - "I wish I'd bought a better one." (Terminal velocity IS both an accurate and ironic term. You'll only regret having a bad reserve chute for a matter of seconds!)

Paula
Old 11-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post

So the Peterbilt ought to do ya! The fuel bill is going to kill you, though...
Old truckers have no problem with sexual performance... they just get a new Peterbilt"
Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
I used to sing in an a capella girl band. One of our big audience pleasers was "I Like 'Em Big And Stupid":

I met this guy
He had a truck (bkgnd singers: "Peterbilt!")
He can't tell time,
But he sure can...drive...

Old 11-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Yeh - I got a new Peterbilt and then this woman came along and wrecked it. :-)
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've made at least a dozen trips over Wolf Creek Pass pulling a fully loaded t@b or an 18' boat with a 2010 Wrangler UNLIMITED. The Unlimited is the 4 door with the long wheelbase and the factory installed tow package. With four wheel disc brakes and 3:73 rear end, it makes a decent tow vehicle. Opt for the Rubicon package an you get 4:11 gears. Mine has the Sahara package and it's very comfortable.

And, the visability from a Wrangler Unlimited is certainly superior to that of an FJ!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Yeh - I got a new Peterbilt and then this woman came along and wrecked it. :-)
TMI! TMI!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Back when I was young, big and stupid*, I towed my girlfriend's Pontiac muscle car with my '72 CJ-5 from western NY to Colorado. It was an awful experience, especially with crosswinds in Kansas. Jeeps in those days (then AMC owned) were terribly built vehicles and their reliability has always been pretty low.

Nonetheless, Jeeps are better now than 40 years ago, and if I knew better, I'd have had some sort of sway control. Many posts have ignored that the OP's Jeep is a longer, heavier model than the standard sized Jeep. So maybe it is a good choice. As for the FJ Cruiser, it looks cool from the outside, but have you ever sat in one? Terrible visibility—small windshield, very large C pillar. More reliable than the Jeep, but the ergonomics aren't good. It is styled to feel tough, but the 4runner is just as tough (same underneath) and visibility and comfort is better.

But the conventional wisdom is the tow vehicle has to be long and big compared to the towed vehicle. CW (not Camping World) was also that absolute monarchs were the best and the earth was flat. Since big trucks (the tractor part) are short and light compared to the enormous trailers and weight they tow, CW seems to be challenged. The big difference, maybe, is the towing point is over the axles rather than behind them. My understand is the orange and ProPride hitches project the towing point forward and maybe with a shorter wheelbase vehicle, that would be the best selection for a hitch system—certainly cheaper than buying a new tow vehicle.

Gene

*Early in our relationship Barb told me she "liked 'em big and stupid". I thought she meant I was tall—now I realize I am stupid.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
I think that one issue here is preconcieved notions of what a Jeep Wranger really is. The current generation JK platform is very different than the early TJ's/YJ's/CJ's.

The older versions had around a 93" wheelbase, weighed about 3,000lbs and had around 180hp/220lb-ft in the later 4.0HO engines. YJ's and CJ's with that terrible shackle-forward front suspension had some pretty bad issues with wandering. You really shouldn't tow anything more than a light pop-up at most with those, and even that's probably too much.

The current JK unlimited has a 116" wheelbase, weigh 4100lbs or so, and with the new 3.6l engine has 285hp, 260lb-ft. Add in ABS brakes, traction control, 3.73 or 4.10 gearing and a much stronger drivetrain than the older models. This is heavier, longer, and more power than a 1970's/1980's full sized Chevy K5 Blazer. It's also longer, more power and close the same weight than the FJ Cruiser, with about a 1" narrower track.

I know that someone here had been towing a modern Bambi with a JK Unlimited, with the older 3.8l engine, and was saying the only issue was he occasionally felt it was underpowered. With the 3.8, you felt that way even without the trailer. The 2012's have about 75hp more than what he was using with a lower RPM powerband.

-Hans
Old 11-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHaase View Post
I think that one issue here is preconcieved notions of what a Jeep Wranger really is. The current generation JK platform is very different than the early TJ's/YJ's/CJ's.

-Hans
I agree... however the current Wrangler can only be optioned up to a MAX towing capacity of 2500lbs... with a class 2 receiver.

This eliminates any WD system that I know of... even if you could find an Airstream that light. My Basecamp was the lightest current AS... and it was 2000lbs empty.