Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
I'll tell you my experience with trucks, which is very limited. Until our move to Texas, I had never had a truck. However, we have over 3 acres and lots of landscaping, so we decided to give a truck a try even though we did not know if we would like it. To that regard, we bought a used certified Toyota Tundra and that became our third vehicle (only two of us).

To our surprise, we ended up taking the Tundra everywhere! So much so, that when I retired, I sold my Porsche 911 because I drove the truck almost all the time.

Just this year, we bought a 27' Airstream Flying Cloud, partly because we figure we already had a tow vehicle. Our first trip was out west and there were a few hills that I could only do 30 mph but the most limiting thing was the payload. We are not RV park people. Instead, we like to camp....complete with camp fire, outdoor cooking, etc. After that first trip, I realized that the Tundra was limiting, so I started to look at options. I found I was in no-man's land as the F-150 trucks I looked at were all just marginally better than my Tundra. However, the F-250 just seemed like too much truck and this would be my daily driver.

To make a long story short, I recently bought an F-250 diesel! I'll admit that I have not towed with it yet, but I expect that to be the best part. This truck is amazing and I have no problem (and neither does my wife) using it as a daily driver. I'm getting 16mpg just driving around town (the same as my Tundra). I have a great moon roof, heated and cooled seats, a great stereo, and all the creature comforts you could want. I find the ride to be great, but I'll admit that both of us are used to stiff suspensions. I fit into normal parking spaces and find the camera system so good that I can fit perfectly between the lines.

I just wanted to dispel the myth that F-250s don't make good daily drivers. I am enjoying driving mine all around town.
I must admit, I thought I missed my F150 as daily driver when I got my F250 6.7 in June. But, I have had a new F150 EB Platinum to drive as a loaner from the dealer for past week while I was getting serviced and rear seatbelt recal taken care of. The new F150 has lots of power and the 10 speed is nice, but the steering is very sensitive compared to my 2012 Platinum model; overall it feels very "light" now vs the 250. I don't care for the stop/start engine feature, nor the smaller mirrors. Payload is 1590lbs and I like the parking ability of the F150, but I feel safer in the F250 in traffic. Especially in this rainy cold weather were having here in Austin today! Hope to get the F250 back tomorrow.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #102
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Those that think the 3.5 EB isn't powerful are kidding themselves. It's plenty powerful.

I'm quite sure it is much faster going up than my f250 6.2 is.

Thing is, it's faster going down too. Not much compression braking.

I'll stick with my big v8.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream310
Lilburn , Georgia
Their is much caterwauling on these forums on how to correct defects in the selection of inferior towing equipment. Hitch people and RV accessory stores have a field day selling band-aids for these marginal vehicle selections. As you have found out in limited form, the F-250 is not as bad as many people make it out to be.

Once you move up to a property equipped truck (engine, suspension, frame, tires) all of this hocus pocus of weight distribution, sway bars, and a host of other BS goes away. Why people wish to subject themselves to this market abuse is beyond me.

Better to do it right, pay the freight and move on. And IF you are one of the many people that are getting into this field for the first time the advise of getting it right the first time is money in your pocket. IF, and I use that term sparingly, you find that you do not particularly like this life style you can pack it in and sell it to the next person. If your equipment is mismatched or substandard, all that money you “saved” buying that less than desirable equipment will be lost in a poor resale. It ALL wrings out in the end.
DubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Those that think the 3.5 EB isn't powerful are kidding themselves. It's plenty powerful.

I'm quite sure it is much faster going up than my f250 6.2 is.

Thing is, it's faster going down too. Not much compression braking.

I'll stick with my big v8.
My 6.2 beats those V6s off the line any day.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #105
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
My 6.2 beats those V6s off the line any day.
But that advantage doesn't last long. The 3.5 will crush a 6.2 over any reasonable length - for a few runs.

Do repeated 0-60 runs and I bet the 6.2 will go all day whereas the 3.5 will overheat (and probably lose braking).

Not that this is real important for towing. Except to note that the superduty heat management is worlds above the f150's.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #106
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
What I want to know is, who’s doing 0 to 60 tests with a trailer in tow? [emoji38]🤣

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Estero , Florida
Get the right truck

If you ha e any desire to be happy and safe going up and down hills and mountains, get a super duty with diesel. Can the150 do it, yes. Should you, no. And get the crew cab, supervising usable for anything
KariRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
What I want to know is, who’s doing 0 to 60 tests with a trailer in tow? [emoji38]🤣
I do them every time I tow a trailer anywhere near Detroit. The "right lane ends" sign might as well be a drag strip start signal.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #109
2 Rivet Member

manchaca , Texas
"I ordered a 2017 F150 super crew equipped with 3.5 Ecoboost, Max trailer tow package (53C), heavy duty payload package (627), 3.73 electronic locking diff, 36 gal tank, 6.5 ft bed, and telescoping mirrors." Airstream87 from Alabama

I took the specs you gave here for the F150 you bought and went to my local dealer to price that truck.
Then I did the same with an F250 with NO extras but matching what you got for towing.
The F250 was $13,000 dollars less expensive than the F150 and has a longer wheelbase, stronger frame and higher towing capacity.
WHY would anyone pay $13,000 extra for a lower grade truck????
Of course Ford knows why----for over 10 years they have been touting the F150 as the best selling, beefiest model etc. and people buy that model from the advertising hype instead of going in and calmly looking at the correct vehicle for a tow job.
You can use F150's for towing the small trailers, no problem, but the 28 footers and above will always wag the dog when hooked up to an F150 or Tundra or Ram 1500.
It's just all about physics, not advertising and not compromising----just the laws of science.
And the interesting thing is that Ford sells this F150 as a retail public model whereas you can always buy a fleet\commercial F25\350\450 for low prices if you just shop properly.
labans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #110
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by labans View Post
I took the specs you gave here for the F150 you bought and went to my local dealer to price that truck.
Then I did the same with an F250 with NO extras but matching what you got for towing.
The F250 was $13,000 dollars less expensive than the F150 and has a longer wheelbase, stronger frame and higher towing capacity.
WHY would anyone pay $13,000 extra for a lower grade truck????
You answered your own question. Because many people want all the options. You can always buy a vehicle with no options for less than one with all the options.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #111
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I do them every time I tow a trailer anywhere near Detroit. The "right lane ends" sign might as well be a drag strip start signal.
Got that right...
Or try getting on I-96 west from I-275. Got to move over 4 miles before the split. I just LOVE riding in the second from left lane on a 5 lane freeway.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #112
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
You answered your own question. Because many people want all the options. You can always buy a vehicle with no options for less than one with all the options.
WOW $13,000 less, you can buy a F250 for $25,000, that's amazing especially since I paid $29,000 for my 2000 F250. Wheres this dealer that gives such unbelievable prices?
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #113
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
So, I have a question: why is everyone being so grouchy and testy? The PO has long since made a decision, bought a truck and moved on. Maybe the rest of us could do the same? It’s Christmas! [emoji319]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Here's an apples to apples comparison

F250 Lariat 4X4 CC $55,432

F150 Lariat 4x4 CC $54,949

For $483 I'd get the Super Duty
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
You know... what they need here is some facts...mam... just the facts...

Ok so you got the F150 with the LITTLE... engine... and while everyone else is preaching go big or diesel... some still just don't get it...

Sure the little engine will pull... but you have to come up with the torque at the rear wheels somehow... and what some of you that tow with the little engine... need to to is pony up some real facts... i.e what RPM are you towing at.. and what speed and RPM are you going up hills at...

It going to take so much torque and hp to pull the same load... and while the LITTLE engine can... the next question is for how long...

We all know that ford has fixed the coolant escape problem.. by putting a little light on the dash that says ' add coolant'... works for me.. but what inquire'n minds want to know is ...WHERE IS IT GOING.... and why are you losing it to begin with...

Well... when your winding the spring up on the LITTLE engine... your causing lots of heat to be generated ... and we ain't speaking at the radiator here... inside the engine it develops hot spots... which exceed the coolant ability... thus it boils away... and you come up short... The second issue is that the water pump is run'n at mach 5 and so is also turbulating the coolant... after all its job is to make sure the engine gets pressurized so that the cyc and other things stay cool... or one hopes...

so will the LITTLE engine pull the load.. yep if you don't mind going up hills...(and we ain't talking golpher mounds) at 30 mph... with the engine pushing 36-4000 rpm.. (why do you think they put in a 6-10 speed trans??) and the turbos boosting the heck out of the cyc's... yep it will... but again for how long...

How do they do it...easy.. they use torque multpication i.e the trans.. and convert rpm into torque at the rear wheels...

We have a fleet of fords that HAD the small engines in them... dealer said that they would do just fine...towing... but after we got to about 50,000 miles.. they ALL started to show signs of coke'n... of the intake valves... and the only fix for that... NEW HEADS... according to ford.. which only warn'td the thing just under the failure miles...

So we speak of experance... when we talk about the LITTLE engine that ford is putting in the PU's... They don't expect the 150 to do more than go around town empty... and so that is what the engineers have designed it for.. oh and the once in a while towing... but when we confronted ford with the problems we and the Highway Petrol were having with the engines.. they knew about it.. and said that we should have gotten f250s with larger engines... (for real) if we were towing thing... matter of fact most govern'mt agencies now will not allow things to be towed with anything less that a 250... they learned too... grin

So hope he's happy and will wait till the next thread shows up saying... my f150 engine is broken.. and ford wants 1500 bux a head for it... am I bad... YES... big engines with lots of torque rule... the rest are just kidding themselves... into thinking they got a great deal...

Oh and what about the mileage towing... wow... eyeopener their.. too.. some of the larger engines actually make better gas mileage towing than the LITTLE engines do.. go figure... remember if the dealers lips are moving.. he's lie'n to ya.. once the sale is done.. your on your own... as most don't have a clue about towing and their vehicles... they just read the sales spea'ch... and move on from their
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Torque at rpm produces horsepower to do work. They are different units, like volts, amps, and amp-hours. You can use gears to climb hills, but the engine that produces the most power will do the work faster. Period.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Old 12-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #117
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
No way those steps weigh 200. They are bestop brand and I put them on my lariat.
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #118
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
Shipping weight 56 pounds. Take off the o.e. And net weight might be 35 pounds.
Put these on after knee replacement. Much easier ingress /egress. I see now available wireless. Installation took about an hour
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:56 AM   #119
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by drairstream View Post
Shipping weight 56 pounds. Take off the o.e. And net weight might be 35 pounds.
Put these on after knee replacement. Much easier ingress /egress. I see now available wireless. Installation took about an hour
I thought I'd been following this thread pretty closely....

Where are you replying to step weights and how the hell did you find wireless ones????

Oh wait... Duh.. I guess my steps don't have any wires... nevermind
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:45 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I thought I'd been following this thread pretty closely....

Where are you replying to step weights and how the hell did you find wireless ones????

Oh wait... Duh.. I guess my steps don't have any wires... nevermind
Glad I am not the only one!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote