Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Please help: 2018 Globetrotter => 2018 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Confirmation

Hi,

First post - seeking your help in confirming our proposed 2018 Globetrotter tow vehicle. We bought the trailer yesterday, and will be buying a tow vehicle this week.

According to the Airstream website, the Globetrotter's hitch weight is 820# and GVWR is 7530#. (We don't yet have an actual weight, but trailer does have second A/C and solar electric.)

I couldn't find the ProPride 3P hitch weight on their website, but other posts suggests that it weights in at about 150#.

Today, I found a 2018 Lariat Supercrew (145" wheelbase) 3.5l EB, 3.55 axle, with Max Trailer Tow Package. The yellow door tag says "The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1649#".

Assuming my wife and I are the occupants (< 400#), it seems to me that the cargo capacity will be 279# (= 1649# - 820# - 400# - 150#).

Did I get that right? We've purchased the Globetrotter, and are searching for a tow vehicle which can pull the trailer and will be a daily driver.

Thanks... Duncan
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome to the forum. It's good to have you on board!

I will let those who have a ProPride hitch and/or a F-150 (I have neither) answer your questions but I do know that such a hitch will transfer some of the weight to the axles of the trailer giving you more than your 279# payload capacity.

BTW congrats on your Globetrotter! Enjoy!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Airstreams TW number is for an unloaded trailer with empty tanks.

I carry far more than 279 lbs of gear in my truck on any camping trip no matter how short or close to home.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The Airstream published tongue weight is not necessarily realistic. For stability, 10%-15% of trailer gross weight is suggested. I use 12.5% as a ballpark which suggests that you should plan on about 940# of tongue weight, some of which, as Hans627 suggested, will be transferred to the trailer by a good WD hitch.

When I had an F-150 (a 2006), maximum tongue weight and maximum trailer weight were mutually exclusive. Determine if that is true for you, and if so, take your F-150's maximum trailer capacity, subtract the 1649# payload assuming you will max that out with passengers, tongue weight and cargo and see how that compares to your 7530# trailer GVWR. If that works out you will probably be OK (my opinion is worth what you paid for it). The proof of the pudding is to get weighed and compare the numbers to your axle ratings.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The published numbers are starting points and then you start adding on the extras. Water, propane and stuff in the trailer add to the hitch weight and fuel in the TV is considered cargo weight in most cases. The hitch will move some of the weight back to the trailer wheels, but how much?

Lots of info to digest...

Congrats on the GT

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
Hi,

Did I get that right? We've purchased the Globetrotter, and are searching for a tow vehicle which can pull the trailer and will be a daily driver.

Thanks... Duncan
Good enough to start.

The tongue weight may be heavier, some weight will be transferred back tot he trailer.

The real question in my mind is how you will travel. My wife and I travel with us in the vehicle, and not much else. Two light bikes, a camera, a tablet, and jackets. Others carry BBQ and tank, camp griddles, camp furniture, one (or two) portable generators, additional fuel, firewood, screen rooms, boats and motors, ...you get the idea. If you are travelling relatively light, you are in the range. If you plan to fill the pick up bed with equipment, you need to think about your total payload.

Nice trailer. Congratulations.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Please help: 2018 Globetrotter =&gt; 2018 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew Confirmation

Having a similar configuration, with an International Signature 27FB and a RAM 1500 with a towing package, I will tell you that Airstream underestimates actual towing tongue weight, and most dealers have no clue about towing capacity vs. load capacity.

Just so were clear, our truck has had no difficulty whatsoever towing Rocinante over the Rockies and back again. Nothing terrible is likely to happen if you pick the truck you mention above. However, you may be frustrated, as we were, when you realize just how close you are to maximum load capacity even with an empty truck bed.

So, because of tongue weight and load capacity, I suggest you consider a 3/4 ton truck. That doesnt mean it has to be diesel, as engine capability has never been an issue with our RAM.

A 3/4 ton will have load capacity to spare, while our RAM 1500 is right at the limit of its load capacity.

Congratulations on your purchase, and may you have many happy camping and towing experiences, regardless of your choice of tow vehicle!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The weight distribution hitch will re-position the tongue weight from the single point of the hitch ball to the three points of the tow vehicle axles and the trailer axles.

Hitch the trailer and the front end gets light in comparison to its unhitched value. A 1,000-lb TW winds up as approximately 390-lbs to each TV axles. Payload, by contrast, pretty much all sits on the rear axle.

There isnt an Airstream cant be hauled with a half ton. The divisor is how much junk one carries in the TV.

The vapors and fainting spells around here about exceeding an abstract limit (payload, etc), not concrete limit (axle/wheel/tire) are tiresome. And without merit

An Expedition would be a better choice due to a more stable design (fully independent suspension).

Worrying over weight is like worrying over paint color. Its not central to what produces the best towing combinations. Its a problem solved with the quality of the hitch lash up.

Short answer: Yes.

The more important question has to do with whether it is best suitable for solo duty. An empty farm/ranch vehicle isnt anyones idea of a good bet for family transportation on a wet road. Congenital instability.

Ad copy sells pickups. Forms unwarranted basic assumptions.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I have towed with a '15 F150 XLT 4x4 crew cab 3.5 ecoboost, pulling a '16 flying cloud. I have also towed the same flying cloud with my '17 F250 XLT 4x4 crew cab 6.2.

I'll never go back to an F150.

Did the F150 pull it? Yes

Does the F250 pull it? Yes

However, there is, in my experience, absolutely no comparison between the two in terms of comfort level going down the road....not even close.

F250/F350 for the win

Go BIG or go home.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Hi Drv

During our handling testing on the racetrack we find the opposite of the above comment.

In a way there are two types of handling. One is straight line on the highway, awareness of the Airstream so to speak. The other is accident avoidance capability curvy roads etc. The F250 has a great deal of mass and vague steering so you dont feel the trailer going straight down the highway. However there is not much depth to the handling, try to get one to change direction in a hurry and it can become a real handful. Then all that mass carried high in the air and the vagueness of the steering become the challenge.

With two changes, shocks & tires an F150 can have better straight line handling than a 250 and more evasive capability. Dramatically more in all those solo miles without The Airstream.

Few of our customers bother with the tires and shocks since if the 150 is connected properly you get good straight line stability anyway. It is just very few are connected properly.

On the 150 make sure you get the 20 wheels, unless you get the heavy payload pkg which comes with LT tires.

If the tow vehicle is also a daily driver there are plenty of non pickup options as well.

What do you drive now?

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Good enough to start.

The tongue weight may be heavier, some weight will be transferred back tot he trailer.

The real question in my mind is how you will travel. My wife and I travel with us in the vehicle, and not much else. Two light bikes, a camera, a tablet, and jackets. Others carry BBQ and tank, camp griddles, camp furniture, one (or two) portable generators, additional fuel, firewood, screen rooms, boats and motors, ...you get the idea. If you are travelling relatively light, you are in the range. If you plan to fill the pick up bed with equipment, you need to think about your total payload.

Nice trailer. Congratulations.
^^^^^^^^What he said!^^^^^^^^

I'm the guy (or should I say my wife is the gal) that he describes in the last part of his paragraph. Just bought an F-250 after selling my Tundra. The Tundra was a dream and pulled just fine, but no room for the kitchen sink!
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:40 AM   #12
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Ddrg-

I am firmly in the camp mentioned above that any Airstream made can be towed by most) 1/2 tons. However, there were/are some 1/2 tons made that are simply not suitable-v6 work trucks with 3.11 gears, etc. that barely tow a lawn mower trailer, etc. If the Lariat you're looking at truly has MaxTow, it may even have a 6.5' bed over the 5.5 (longer wheelbase-more stability), and probably has an 8 or 10 speed trans where our '15 only has a 6 speed.

Our experience towing our Pete, a 27fb twin (same floorplan and likely weights as your new GT) with a 2015 F150 XLT Crew 4wd MaxTow has been great. We have 1907 lbs of payload, as the XLT is less loaded up with options vs the Lariat, and 18" wheels with XL rated tires. We also use a ProPride that we scored used, and the rig feels welded together in all towing conditions. As in, it feels like we are driving a longer truck. We get no tail wag from passing trucks on interstates or on 2 lanes going the other way. Great weight distribution, level rig, and enough capacity to haul the 2 grans with us when they go and a lot of gear in the bed.

The key (as already mentioned) is a great hitch setup. Take your time, do it right, play with the settings, run the tires at max psi when towing, etc. Lots of great reading on here to study while you prepare.

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
My "opinion" is if you are adding up payload, you don't have enough! I'm adding up my payload every time I hook up my 25' Airstream and its not fun. My truck's payload is 1400#. I can't even carry any tools in my truck when my Airstream is attached or I will exceed my trucks GVWR. When my grandkids want to come along, I start by removing the generator and spare propane tank from the truck to save 150#, I change my propane tanks to 20# tanks to save 50#, I remove my front stabilizer jacks from the Airstream to save 30#. I removed the rear headrests and floor mats to save another 10#. That's 240#, are we there yet? Do I need to remove the spare tires at 55# each? Do I need to only fill the truck's fuel tank half way and stop twice as often?

You do not want to be in my position of removing items from your rig so you can bring a friend along. My next truck will have a MINIMUM of 2000# of payload so I can stop tearing my rig apart to stay below GVWR.

Is my concern about payload excessive? My truck's DOT sticker clearly states maximum GVWR, FAWR and RAWR and the sticker does not say choose "two". I choose to stay within all "three" DOT weight ratings on my truck and will remove whatever is needed to be under that weight.

If you want a truck that is short on payload, you can buy mine so I can go buy one with more than enough payload.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think it will all work out great.
I tow a Classic 30 with a Tundra that has 1,455# payload and an Equal-i-zer hitch.
You have a lighter trailer and more payload.
As was stated earlier, some weight will be transferred to the trailer's axles, but you are in the ballpark.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I'd think hard about a half ton pickup with a 28' . 3/4 ton minimum would be my advice just for peace of mind.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
For the OP, buy once, cry once. I towed our FC25A with a 2015 F150, and now tow with a 2017 F250. Heavier truck, heavier suspension, bigger brakes, no funny feel to the steering, actually quite responsive hitched or unhitched, and best of all.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171210_170504_resized.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	300750  
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
We tow a 30' FC with a F150 and a Blue Ox w/d hitch with no issues. The Lariat is available with both the max tow package and the max payload package. With both packages I think you could tow and carry just about anything you need.
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Andrew, for an F150 what shocks and tires would you recommend. Thanks Gary
Golfer503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #19
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I just purchased a 2018 25 foot flying cloud with extra awning packing and solar panels. The coach has a GVW of 7300 pounds. This is the weight that the coach can handle before the axles brake. The tongue weight is 832 pounds and I believe that includes full propane tanks. I've heard that the average person will tow this coach at about 6300 pounds. My F150 has a GVW of 7000 pounds and that includes a full tank of gas and 150 pounds for the driver. It is a 2015 Lariat FX4 with the 5.0 V8, six speed automatic transmission and a 3.31 rear end. I just towed my Airstream 2500 miles across the country and the truck towed it beautifully. The equalizer hitch with 4-point sway control was awesome. Winds were fierce, semis were plentiful and I did a lot of passing. I had plenty of power and complete handling control. Your Globetrotter is only a few hundred pounds heavier. So you have my opinion and experiences.
Sophiehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #20
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
My "opinion" is if you are adding up payload, you don't have enough! I'm adding up my payload every time I hook up my 25' Airstream and its not fun. My truck's payload is 1400#. I can't even carry any tools in my truck when my Airstream is attached or I will exceed my trucks GVWR. When my grandkids want to come along, I start by removing the generator and spare propane tank from the truck to save 150#, I change my propane tanks to 20# tanks to save 50#, I remove my front stabilizer jacks from the Airstream to save 30#. I removed the rear headrests and floor mats to save another 10#. That's 240#, are we there yet? Do I need to remove the spare tires at 55# each? Do I need to only fill the truck's fuel tank half way and stop twice as often?

You do not want to be in my position of removing items from your rig so you can bring a friend along. My next truck will have a MINIMUM of 2000# of payload so I can stop tearing my rig apart to stay below GVWR.

Is my concern about payload excessive? My truck's DOT sticker clearly states maximum GVWR, FAWR and RAWR and the sticker does not say choose "two". I choose to stay within all "three" DOT weight ratings on my truck and will remove whatever is needed to be under that weight.

If you want a truck that is short on payload, you can buy mine so I can go buy one with more than enough payload.

DOT regulations apply to commercial carriers. Does that include you?

Your door jamb sticker is a FMVSS sticker.

If you are going to follow the commercial regulations, fine, but why stop at GVWR? Carry copies of driving test results and driver training records, keep a detailed driver’s log, maybe get a commercial license, get a DOT number for the side of the truck, get placards for any hazardous materials you are carrying, etc.

If that all sounds like too much for a recreational vehicle and non-commercial driver, then maybe rethink your focus on GVWR as the holy grail, while still respecting axle and tire limits. Those are real. Removing floor mats to bring your TV weight down sounds just a little extreme.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote