Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alantbird View Post
ANYthing 3/4 ton and above NO worries! I had air bags in my cummins and I would put the hight at a perfect place for no sway!
Ride in the back of your trailer at 60 mph, and then see if you have NO sway .

Andy
Old 05-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Use it for safety....I towed mine a short bit 20 miles to storage and I could definitely feel the difference....
Old 05-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Yes and no...

Never gave WD systems much attention till after we came home with our 72 Overlander.. Ever since when ever we get fuel or stop I always look at what people are pulling and with what TV/hitch system..

I am shocked at the higher percent of rigs I have seen that are set up wrong with WD systems. One fellow a few years ago had so much weight on his bars his rear tires were almost not touching the ground with a short wheelbase pu,, and nothing but air in the box. Talks about a wreck about to happen..

I generally walk on and leave any comments behind but that fellow with that pu,, I did make a comment and offer to help get things set more level and safe. An hour later we left and so did he,,, with his headlights more of a normal level than pointing into the highway..

Personally,,, I would have felt much better if he had 500 lbs of gear in that pu box to help hold it down a little better.

So my advice,, with your TV size and type and size of trailer I feel it could become more of a problem trying to use a WD system than just pulling from the ball and not worry.. Sodbust
Old 05-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailer is a 1995 25 ft. It has a WDH hitch. It never had a sway bar. I towed it about 500 miles after I bought it with a half ton. I had no sway. I also know that just because I didn't have it, didn't mean I wouldn't suddenly get it. I bought a sway bar and put it on. It was only 50 bucks. It might not be needed, but it gives me a little more peace of mind.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Both of my 31 foot Airstreams want to sway above 60 MPH.

I tried all kind of "tricks" to eliminate the sway by moving weight here and there.

Some success was found by removing weight from from the very back of the trailer, but I eliminated it with a Hensley.

My guess is that these trailers want to sway because there is so much trailer behind the wheels, kind of a pendulum effect.

My trailers towed solidly without any WD or sway control below about 62 mph, but could become a handful over 62 particularly over rutted roads, when large vehicles passed, and in down hill grades.

Superat stultitia.
What I sense as I go above 75 is that the Airstream begins to float. That belly pan becomes a wing of sorts.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have not read all of the posts to this tread so I will address my comments directly to your original post.

Yes many have towed boats, utility trailers and toy haulers without sway control. I think the difference is that RVs are towed generally over greater distance and over roads that permit high speeds than the the boat to the dock or the utility trailer to the dump. This presents a different driving environment and more frequent chance of a problem and thus many see a need for a WD system.

In your case the your truck clearly will not need a WD system but you might consider the sway control offered by the Andersen system.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
To 909kenu: The quotes about towing you posted sounded more like sales words than technical. I found a Ram 3500 towing specs manual online from the manufacturer. It was for the 2011 model year truck (I didn't see where you said what year you have... the following may or may not apply to you). Here is footnote 4 from that technical spec:

4. The maximum trailer weight is 5,000 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch. A weight distributing system is recommended for trailers over 5,000 pounds. A fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch is required for trailers over 12,000 pounds

Based on that, and what others have said about handling, liability, etc., given that you have the hitch, why not set it up properly and use it?

Also, in my opinion based on my truck and what others have said, the factory sway control reacts to stop sway once it starts. Most systems I am aware of do this with automatic differential rear wheel braking... The Ram may use some other technique. Sway control systems attempt to prevent sway. I'd rather not have that issue than feel my truck try and correct it by applying brakes for me.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Panama City , Florida
If it was given to you or you bought it with the trailer price why would you not use it? Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
What I sense as I go above 75 is that the Airstream begins to float. That belly pan becomes a wing of sorts.

There are for sure some aerodynamic forces at work with these trailers also.

There is no doubt about that in my mind.

I might speculate that the air flows over and around these trailers fairly smoothly, so smooth that when the air is disturbed by a passing large vehicle, etc., that the disruption can adversely affect the trailers manners.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
airstream , zero
Any idea what the folks that deliver the new trailers from factory to dealer use for WD/SC?
Old 05-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #31
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
This article from today might factor into your choice:

http://www.hayspost.com/2016/05/06/2...-in-kan-ditch/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
King cab dually...

Not sure from this exact model but let's face it. I tow construction equipment all the time with no weight distribution and so do many others. The guy sounds like he knows how to tow already. There is nothing mysterious about an Airstream other than many are towed by light duty vehicles.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
To 909kenu: The quotes about towing you posted sounded more like sales words than technical. I found a Ram 3500 towing specs manual online from the manufacturer. It was for the 2011 model year truck (I didn't see where you said what year you have... the following may or may not apply to you). Here is footnote 4 from that technical spec:

4. The maximum trailer weight is 5,000 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch. A weight distributing system is recommended for trailers over 5,000 pounds. A fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch is required for trailers over 12,000 pounds

Based on that, and what others have said about handling, liability, etc., given that you have the hitch, why not set it up properly and use it?

Also, in my opinion based on my truck and what others have said, the factory sway control reacts to stop sway once it starts. Most systems I am aware of do this with automatic differential rear wheel braking... The Ram may use some other technique. Sway control systems attempt to prevent sway. I'd rather not have that issue than feel my truck try and correct it by applying brakes for me.
The TV is a Ram Crew cab 4x4 DRW. I have searched but can not locate the info on at what point I need a WDH or sway control in the manual. I even looked up the 2011 ram 3500 and I see what you have stated in the footnotes for that year.

For the 2016, I see Class V hitch max 1800 lbs, Max tow on the ball 18,000 lbs. 18,000+ requires 5th or gooseneck with no footnotes related to WDH or Sway.

For those who said, you have the WD from the PO, why not use it? From what I read in the posts.....Needs to be properly set up. I have no clue what Reese 1000 lbs bars are but that's what I have. The hitch end is a mess. I would need to buy new or cut this one up to fit the height of the truck.

I have been reading, the rough ride of the truck will transfer to the trailer and may damage the structure.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
King cab dually...

Not sure from this exact model but let's face it. I tow construction equipment all the time with no weight distribution and so do many others. The guy sounds like he knows how to tow already. There is nothing mysterious about an Airstream other than many are towed by light duty vehicles.
When I got the Argosy, I towed it home with no issues. I really thought, WOW! this is an easy tow. Felt like pulling a pair SeaDoos. Just worried about the rotted tires, joking with my buddy that if they blow we are not stopping. We'll just drag it home.

But then you see on this forum....the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with an Airstream on their side. I was thinking all of the issues were from short wheel based suvs or passenger cars.

This is what got me thinking, Mysterious? Maybe balloon like? Connected to a TV, everything is fine until wind disruption and its swaying like a balloon behind the TV. Actually I was thinking they were accidents caused by poorly loaded trailers. Argosy with the fresh water tank in the front, the black and grey at the very back. Water from front to the back, maybe reduced tongue weight.

To be honest, my wife has a chevy tahoe and from reading many posts it would seem like the short wheel base tahoe properly set up would be safer than my truck with no WD or sway control. Very hard to believe but....

I have never used WD and/or sway control but if its that good.....I got to think about getting it.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Even with my one ton short bed SRW pickup I was able to improperly set up the WD enough to take weight off the rear wheels and create a dangerous situation. When I use WD I make sure the weight in the truck bed is what I will have towing, before I set the WD bars. On edit, I do not use WD but I do use two sway control bars at all times.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
My first trailer was a 30' Classic, I pulled it 10,000 miles with a weight distribution hitch and some problems with sway because it was not set up right.

My next trailer was as 30' Classic and I got rid of that heavy extra work hitch. I had less trouble with sway.

My new trailer is a FC 26 U and it pulls like a dream with out a hitch.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I found the 2016 info I believe you are quoting at:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/tow...ing_charts.pdf

It appears that somewhere between the 2011 model year and 2016 that Ram removed the recommendation for weight distribution for trailers over 5,000 pounds being towed by the 3500.

As I read the many good thoughts in this stream, I'd say you could lay these opinions end to end and they would not reach a clear conclusion. Some of us wouldn't tow a mile without a WDH (including me), but my TV manufacturer recommends it and my truck is way closer to its limits towing my trailer than yours would be towing yours.

Before getting our AS I towed 30,000 or more highway miles with cargo trailers up to 6,000 lbs with no knowledge there was such a thing as WDH or anti sway and no incidents. I was fat, dumb and happy (well... I actually wasn't all that happy).

I think you need to digest the info the community has provided and trust your gut on this decision then learn from your own experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909kenu View Post
The TV is a Ram Crew cab 4x4 DRW. I have searched but can not locate the info on at what point I need a WDH or sway control in the manual. I even looked up the 2011 ram 3500 and I see what you have stated in the footnotes for that year.

For the 2016, I see Class V hitch max 1800 lbs, Max tow on the ball 18,000 lbs. 18,000+ requires 5th or gooseneck with no footnotes related to WDH or Sway.

For those who said, you have the WD from the PO, why not use it? From what I read in the posts.....Needs to be properly set up. I have no clue what Reese 1000 lbs bars are but that's what I have. The hitch end is a mess. I would need to buy new or cut this one up to fit the height of the truck.

I have been reading, the rough ride of the truck will transfer to the trailer and may damage the structure.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:25 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Here is my take based upon my experience.

If a person has a 70s style 31' Airstream and wants to comfortably and safely tow over 60 MPH, get sway control.

If a person tows 55 mph and under, none is required.

These trailers will sway over 60 mph if you towed them with a tank.

Superat stultitia.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #39
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

"My new trailer is a FC 26 U and it pulls like a dream with out a hitch."

Say what???

Bob
Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'm always slightly bemused when this debate crops up.

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to help their TV, no matter how big it is, by spreading the load a little with a weight distribution system. Why would you want to hang all that weight on a single point some distance from the rear axle when there are cheap and effective WD setups that will put some of that load on all of your available axles, including those on the trailer? It just seems like common sense to me.

If your WD system of choice doesn't already come with sway control or sway elimination then why not add a very cheap friction bar or two, just to seal the deal? Added insurance and a better towing experience. Again, it all seems to be such a simple and cheap method of reducing your towing risks.

Of course people tow without WD and anti-sway all the time, and good luck to them, but I can't understand why you'd want to cheap out on such things when you're towing a very expensive travel trailer.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Closed Thread