Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
......."My TV is a crew cab dually."

Your plans for sway are?

Your trailer will sway, with the dueler you may not feel it 'til the point of no return.

I believe that configuring both to your rig would be advisable.
600-800lb bars with dual friction sway...easy way out.

That is exactly what the previous owner said. He wanted me to use his old set up but the receiver was non adjustable booger welded mess that was too high for the trailer. Towed the Argosy back at speed limit with rotted tires, San Diego to Los Angeles, 2am, no traffic. Trailer tows well.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We tow our 25FB with a Silverado one ton SRW. I would not tow our Airstream without a weight distribution/anti sway hitch system.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I use an Andersen WD - sway control to tow my 26' Argosy. It works well on my 3/4 ton Dodge, also on my Tundra.
My concern is the 1ton truck rides hard and some of that hard ride will transfer to the coach. There are "air ride" systems but I don't know if they are compatible with WD systems and/or anti sway systems.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
Old 05-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
ANYthing 3/4 ton and above NO worries! I had air bags in my cummins and I would put the hight at a perfect place for no sway!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by 909kenu View Post
Recently acquired 26 Argosy, came with a Reese WD hitch (1000lbs bars). I was not planning to use it or any other WD/sway control. But reading the most of the posts it may be a requirement even for long wheel base trucks.

I have experience towing boats, utility trailers, construction equipment since the early 90's. I have even experienced violent sway and hit a K-rail due to a shifted load to the rear. I was much younger then. I check and recheck tie downs from that experience.

I understand the concept of safety vs. cost. But what is it that makes the Airstream different from my friends toy hauler? The shape? Axle placement? Or is it when the front fresh water tank is empty and the rears are full (tongue weight)?

My TV is a crew cab dually. It should be enough truck but reading it's not safe to tow without has me concerned.

Is sway control without weight distribution available or even an option?

Sorry, if its a beat to death topic

Be sure to tell all your passengers that you kicked to the curb all the rules of safety and Physics.

Using a load equalizing hitch, properly rated, properly installed and properly adjusted, could never ever create negative safety. Using it will add safety to some degree and that's a positive.

Should you lose control and hurt someone or their property, any attorney in the world, would through the book at you, simply because you had a unsafe rig on the highways.

Do everything you can, to create a safe rig as possible. Then if something negative happens, you can at least say that you did everything you could to be safe. In the absence of a load equalizing hitch, you did nothing. That, fellow Airstreamer, will haunt you the rest of your life.

How do I know ? I was the sole field rep for the old Insurance division of Airstream. Having to deal with survivors of a bad accident that could have been prevented, was indeed a very tough job.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
Originally Posted by alantbird View Post
ANYthing 3/4 ton and above NO worries! I had air bags in my cummins and I would put the hight at a perfect place for no sway!
I'm just curious . . .
What do you mean to say by "no worries" with a 3/4 ton? No sway control? No wd? Or minimal bar rating?
Old 05-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by alantbird View Post
Ride in the back of your trailer at 60 mph, and then see if you have NO sway .

Old 05-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Use it for safety....I towed mine a short bit 20 miles to storage and I could definitely feel the difference....
Old 05-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Yes and no...

Never gave WD systems much attention till after we came home with our 72 Overlander.. Ever since when ever we get fuel or stop I always look at what people are pulling and with what TV/hitch system..

I am shocked at the higher percent of rigs I have seen that are set up wrong with WD systems. One fellow a few years ago had so much weight on his bars his rear tires were almost not touching the ground with a short wheelbase pu,, and nothing but air in the box. Talks about a wreck about to happen..

I generally walk on and leave any comments behind but that fellow with that pu,, I did make a comment and offer to help get things set more level and safe. An hour later we left and so did he,,, with his headlights more of a normal level than pointing into the highway..

Personally,,, I would have felt much better if he had 500 lbs of gear in that pu box to help hold it down a little better.

So my advice,, with your TV size and type and size of trailer I feel it could become more of a problem trying to use a WD system than just pulling from the ball and not worry.. Sodbust
Old 05-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailer is a 1995 25 ft. It has a WDH hitch. It never had a sway bar. I towed it about 500 miles after I bought it with a half ton. I had no sway. I also know that just because I didn't have it, didn't mean I wouldn't suddenly get it. I bought a sway bar and put it on. It was only 50 bucks. It might not be needed, but it gives me a little more peace of mind.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Both of my 31 foot Airstreams want to sway above 60 MPH.

I tried all kind of "tricks" to eliminate the sway by moving weight here and there.

Some success was found by removing weight from from the very back of the trailer, but I eliminated it with a Hensley.

My guess is that these trailers want to sway because there is so much trailer behind the wheels, kind of a pendulum effect.

My trailers towed solidly without any WD or sway control below about 62 mph, but could become a handful over 62 particularly over rutted roads, when large vehicles passed, and in down hill grades.

Superat stultitia.
What I sense as I go above 75 is that the Airstream begins to float. That belly pan becomes a wing of sorts.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have not read all of the posts to this tread so I will address my comments directly to your original post.

Yes many have towed boats, utility trailers and toy haulers without sway control. I think the difference is that RVs are towed generally over greater distance and over roads that permit high speeds than the the boat to the dock or the utility trailer to the dump. This presents a different driving environment and more frequent chance of a problem and thus many see a need for a WD system.

In your case the your truck clearly will not need a WD system but you might consider the sway control offered by the Andersen system.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

Old 05-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
To 909kenu: The quotes about towing you posted sounded more like sales words than technical. I found a Ram 3500 towing specs manual online from the manufacturer. It was for the 2011 model year truck (I didn't see where you said what year you have... the following may or may not apply to you). Here is footnote 4 from that technical spec:

4. The maximum trailer weight is 5,000 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch. A weight distributing system is recommended for trailers over 5,000 pounds. A fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch is required for trailers over 12,000 pounds

Based on that, and what others have said about handling, liability, etc., given that you have the hitch, why not set it up properly and use it?

Also, in my opinion based on my truck and what others have said, the factory sway control reacts to stop sway once it starts. Most systems I am aware of do this with automatic differential rear wheel braking... The Ram may use some other technique. Sway control systems attempt to prevent sway. I'd rather not have that issue than feel my truck try and correct it by applying brakes for me.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Panama City , Florida
If it was given to you or you bought it with the trailer price why would you not use it? Better safe than sorry.

Closed Thread