Old 12-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Pickup bed covers.

Hi, I studied, long and hard, before buying my new truck, and now I have to study bed covers. I want a metal, roll up cover that can be locked in many positions. Reason for this is that I want to mount and run my generator in the bed of the truck while towing so the bed cover would be partially open at times. So far, I'm leaning towards a Retrax Pro. For my truck it would be model number 40371. [about $1700.00]

Any thoughts or experience on this or similar bed covers?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Personally, given a big budget, I prefer a cab-height camper shell with a slider tray installed in the bed. Sadly, no budget, so I run what I have

That aside, I have a 2002 pickup truck with a roll-up cover that is heavy rubber over aluminum slats that run in the rails. I forget the precise brand name (probably Pace-Edwards??), but what I like about it is that once unlocked and un- latched, the cover slides sorta freely into the box that holds the roll-up part. There is a long nylon strap connected to the center of the last slat that you yank on to close it. Once you yank on the strap, the latching mechanism engages and allows the cover to stay open at about one foot increments, which is convenient for tall objects standing in the back of the truck.

I can't get that much under my 2002 cover because the truck has a very shallow bed and the cover intrudes into the top 3 inches of depth. it's also not particularly waterproof--leaks a lot on the rail edges in Washington State style rainy travel. I line the pickup bed with a large plastic tarp and wrap it up over the load to keep it dry if necessary. If I hadn't gotten this already installed on the truck given to me by my youngest son, I'd not have bought this cover...

My 2012 has a deeper bed, but the one-piece flip-up from the rear rigid tonneau cover barely accomodates spare propane tanks--I'm not sure my rather bulky genset will even go under it. It does not have the same major leaking issues.

And honestly, the cab-high cap I had on my 2008 did dribble a little into the bed from the front corners in VERY hard rain--in Washington State...

Do measure the stuff you intend to carry FIRST before you decide what to get...

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I would like to add the following opinion on covers for pickup beds.

We recently switched from a tonneau cover to a camper shell (a.k.a., bed cap), because we needed extra space for mountain bikes. While I intend to sell the old tonneau to offset the cost of this modification, I wish I had purchased a cab height bed cap several years ago, as it would have saved money in the long run. Also, it would have been nice to have the extra space all these years.

Tonneau cover: LT Sport Tonneau Covers - The aluminum truck bed covers by Lazer Lite

Cab height bed cap: Commerical Fiberglass Caps - SNUGPRO | SNUGTOP
Old 12-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I'be got a BakFlip VP sectional cover but they do offer a roll back cover, Rollbak G2. Looks like the price is better than the Retrax. I used youTube to make my decision on which cover to get.

Rollbak G2 on Sale, Free Shipping

One issue with the shell is they are about 100lbs heavier so payload is affect but your new truck has 1700+ lbs so you may be OK.

Kelvin
Old 12-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
I looked at them all and from a security standpoint the one that seemed the best was the Roll n Lock models. They lock both on the sides like most covers but also includes a bar for the top edge of the tailgate with two catches. Take a look at their website. Price was about $1200 installed. Some good videos on the Roll-N-Lock | Retractable Tonneau Cover For Your Truck Bed site.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Hi Bob, tell us about your new truck. I thought that you would have that Navigator forever. Of course, we will need to see pictures of the new truck.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Hi Bob, tell us about your new truck. I thought that you would have that Navigator forever. Of course, we will need to see pictures of the new truck.

Brian
Hi, Brian; My new truck is a 2014 F-150 Super Crew Cab, V-6 Eco-Boost. It's a 4X4, with the Off Road package, and Max Tow package. The payload is 1745 lbs. And the tow rating, if I figured it out correctly, is 9,450 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06041RW.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	228069  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
I would vote for the Retrax. Our previous rig - 5th wheel and dually - went for five years with Retrax and I was very pleased. Virtually no maintenance and given the material, secure.

Good luck with your new truck.
2016 F250 6.2L
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 31' Classic
Albemarle , North Carolina
I have a diamondback SE metal cover on my truck and really like it. It doesn't role up but rather flips up both the front and back half of the bed. I can also carry 100 LBS on top of the cover. They have all styles/types with various accessories available. They shipped right to my house from PA, total cost $1100.00. Definitely a quality product and worth at least a look.

www.diamondbackcovers.com/
Old 12-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Take a look at this video. This is what I recently purchased for my new Ram 2500 Crew Cab. I really like it. We have already made a trip and it sure cam in handy and gave us peace of mind that we had our stuff protected from the weather and the two legged varmints! It is the Extang Solid Fold. This video shows more. I was able to buy it from a local truck supply as cheaply as online.
SolidFold Installation Video
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Pickup bed covers

I just went thru this dilemma not very long ago. There are TONS of choices. I wanted the roll-up, but this wasn't practical toting dogs around. You are limited in your height as to what you actually have covered with a roll-up, and what you can secure. I ended up with the Leer 100XQ cab height cap. I really liked the smoother lines of the windows, and the options you can put inside, kinda made the choice for me. 100XQ
One other thing that REALLY comes in handy is one of these
Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Tom and Phyllis

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
This is what I recently purchased for my new Ram 2500 Crew Cab. I really like it. We have already made a trip and it sure cam in handy and gave us peace of mind that we had our stuff protected from the weather and the two legged varmints! It is the Extang Solid Fold. This video shows more. I was able to buy it from a local truck supply as cheaply as online.

Solid Fold
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I studied, long and hard, before buying my new truck, and now I have to study bed covers. I want a metal, roll up cover that can be locked in many positions. Reason for this is that I want to mount and run my generator in the bed of the truck while towing so the bed cover would be partially open at times. So far, I'm leaning towards a Retrax Pro. For my truck it would be model number 40371. [about $1700.00]

Any thoughts or experience on this or similar bed covers?
We use the extang solid fold tri-fold cover which is strong, light weight, and can easily be folded back when needed to access bed from over the wheel wells. When locked in place with tailgate locked, very secure. One person installation also. We also use a Thule adjustable rack in the bed for our kayak's without taking the cover off; we just fold it open and secure it with the built in latch system. For us, works well. Would think you could use your generator easily with this system also. Around $700~
Extang Product Videos

Have been thinking about a small fiberglass shell cover also, so dog could go in/out into the bed through rear window, and could store larger items which go above the sidewalls, but then I would also need a new racking system...this works fine for us over past 3 years so likely will stay with this for now.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A couple years with Bak-Flip. Perfect. Only negative is having to lift the last section when closing the gate. Also I bought the toolbox which stores up against the cab, off the deck. It folds in mutie sections.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote