Old 12-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I have the Retrax Pro. Couldn't be happier with it.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I studied, long and hard, before buying my new truck, and now I have to study bed covers.
I want a metal, roll up cover that can be locked in many positions.
Reason for this is that
I want to mount and run my generator in the bed of the truck
while towing so
the bed cover would be partially open at times.
So far, I'm leaning towards a Retrax Pro. For my truck it would be model number 40371. [about $1700.00]

Any thoughts or experience on this or similar bed covers?

Hi, I see there are lots of choices, but not all meet my wants/needs. My plan is to mount my generator in the back of the bed so in hot weather, I can run my air conditioner while traveling. Stopping at a camp ground with the inside of my trailer at 103 degrees was not fun. And the time it takes to cool it down was way too long. I will add a generator inlet on the front of my trailer and run a power cord to the generator in the back of the truck. This could also help at rest stops for heating up lunch in the microwave Etc. Therefore I need a cover that can be locked partially open for the running generator and fully closed when not. I wont be bringing bikes, boats, or anything that would need to mounted on top. My dog rides in the back seat area, not in the bed. I don't want a shell; I had one before and it was great for that truck. If I still wanted an enclosed vehicle I could have bought another Navigator or an Expedition. This is all good information for others with pickups trying to decide what works for them too. I like some of the other bed covers, but I can't see how I can drive with fold up covers partially open. I also have to consider the cost of the Retrax Pro and compare it with other options. The price only comes into effect if the cover won't do what I want it for and then it is wasted money.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
You can drive with the RollNLock in any of the 3 or 4 positions and it will lock at those spots. I think they are about every 6-8 inches.
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I would like to add the following opinion on covers for pickup beds.

We recently switched from a tonneau cover to a camper shell (a.k.a., bed cap), because we needed extra space for mountain bikes. While I intend to sell the old tonneau to offset the cost of this modification, I wish I had purchased a cab height bed cap several years ago, as it would have saved money in the long run. Also, it would have been nice to have the extra space all these years.

Tonneau cover: LT Sport Tonneau Covers - The aluminum truck bed covers by Lazer Lite

Cab height bed cap: Commerical Fiberglass Caps - SNUGPRO | SNUGTOP
TOTALLY agree !!!
Old 12-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Anchorage , Alaska
I have a Retrax Pro on my Tundra. Very pleased with it. It will definitely do what you described. Best of luck in the hunt.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi Bob,

Our Retrax lockable, retractable cargo cover is now over eight years old and works great, providing easy access to anything in the cargo area.

RETRAX Truck Bed Cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0026 Retrax cover.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	710.8 KB
ID:	228086  
Old 12-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Just bought a '14 Silverado 1500, Double Cab with 6.5' Box. I am curious how water tight the RollBak G2 and the Retrax are?

Didn't like how restrictive the Shell was on my '05 F150 was. Did like the versatility of the Extang Express but it wasn't very water tight and didn't have the F250 very long (had to Lemon Law it because of the 6.0L Diesel). Another consideration is that when it snows up here it usually is better to let it accumulate to help with traction.
thanks in advance
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Masontown , West Virginia
Five years and 75k miles with the Retrax on my dually, I can only recall water getting in on a couple of occasions - - only then in driving rain at highway speed.

If I had not needed the vertical space in my current truck bed, I would not have gone with the cab high cover and gotten another Retrax.

Just a fan who wishes he could have used one on his current truck.
2016 F250 6.2L
TAC # WV-2
MountaineerStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
Hi. We went with a Retrax (all be it a short time agp) and so far are very pleased, it's the only top that met all of our requirements. I've driven in some hellacious storms, not a leak.

I met a guy in Texas who wanted to check out my AS, he had purchased a Retrax years ago. What's notable is that his (made of different materials, different era) had some issues early on and the guy did nothing but sing the praises of Retrax, how they stood by him, supported him, sent parts free of charge till they got it right. That made me feel good. He said it was a great company to deal with if it ever comes to that. I was glad to hear that.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:36 AM   #24
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Jackson , Wyoming
I bought nearly the same truck as you in September, and definitely paid attention to your research and thread on the subject. As I'm now looking at topper/cover options, I'll follow this thread as well

KCN
Old 12-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I see there are lots of choices, but not all meet my wants/needs. My plan is to mount my generator in the back of the bed so in hot weather, I can run my air conditioner while traveling. Stopping at a camp ground with the inside of my trailer at 103 degrees was not fun. And the time it takes to cool it down was way too long. I will add a generator inlet on the front of my trailer and run a power cord to the generator in the back of the truck. This could also help at rest stops for heating up lunch in the microwave Etc. Therefore I need a cover that can be locked partially open for the running generator and fully closed when not. I wont be bringing bikes, boats, or anything that would need to mounted on top. My dog rides in the back seat area, not in the bed. I don't want a shell; I had one before and it was great for that truck. If I still wanted an enclosed vehicle I could have bought another Navigator or an Expedition. This is all good information for others with pickups trying to decide what works for them too. I like some of the other bed covers, but I can't see how I can drive with fold up covers partially open. I also have to consider the cost of the Retrax Pro and compare it with other options. The price only comes into effect if the cover won't do what I want it for and then it is wasted money.
The tri-fold Extang is secure in the open position with 2 latches behind the cab, for safety. with weight of the 2 folded sections against the cab however, no issues with it flying off anyway from my experience. I have used it several times without latching, without issues. (just forgot to latch it) It does rest on the bed rails and although it does allow a little water trickle in when going through car wash, not enough to worry about, from my experience last 3 years. We have used in driving rain and snow in MT and have not had any water issues when closed. It is safe and secure when you lock the tail gate, as long as you fasten the 2 spring loaded lever latches near the tail gate. I like the flexibility and accessibility for our use. Plus it is light weight but very strong. It is a 1 man job to install and remove, should you need access to the entire bed; no tools needed.

Not saying the roll up units aren't better; Sounds like many folks like them also. For me, it seems like an awful lot of hardware and installation, plus how do you remove if you need the whole bed?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
I have the retrax pro, bought it from an online retailer and paid about $1500. With it installed, I do get a tiny bit of water in the bed during very wet rainstorms, but this may be the fault of a tailgate seal, not the retrax.

Likes: Easy to install, infinite locking points along the track, very well built, rolling mechanism works great and is easy to roll up.

Dislikes: the box that holds the roll up mechanism takes about 10" of bed length away , just enough to make it difficult to close the tailgate when hauling motorcycles. The box hangs from the top of the truck bed, so you can still fit stuff underneath up to about 4" in height before the roll up box intrudes. But if you haul plywood and have a short bed, you'll need to drop the tailgate if hauling more than 4" high of plywood sheets.

The sun can also reflect off the rear at the right angle (which you sometimes see in the rear view mirror).

Overall, I'd probably buy it again.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The vinyl rollup cover I have on my pickup can be run partially open.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
I have a Bak Roll-X bed cover on my F150 6 1/2 bed. Can be secured for driving fully open, but not partially open. When open, it doesn't take up any space in the bed of the truck. You would need to lock your generators into the bed of your truck with a cable, but you might want to do that anyway. When closed, it's water tight unless you're going through a pressure car wash, and then it only leaks a little bit along the top of the tailgate. When closed, it's locked along the length of the truck bed on both sides and it's flush with the top of the tailgate. When the tailgate is locked it would take a crowbar and cause a lot of damage to get into the bed. The top of the cover is a black heavy duty vinyl material over aluminum slats. I installed the whole thing myself in about 30 minutes. And, I can remove the rolled up cover in about 10 minutes if I want it out of the way entirely.