Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Picked Up My "New" Argosy Today - And I'm Still Alive!!!

I posted earlier that I purchased a new, to me, 1973 24ft Argosy. Today I was able to go and pick it up. I have posted a couple pictures of it, hooked up to my Bronco, which I pulled it home with. No interior photo's due to a door lock problem that needs to be fixed.

Yes, that's right, I pulled it over 150 miles across Michigan, with a Bronco. For all you Bronco bashers, due to timing circumstances, I ended up pulling it home with the previous owners hitch, there was a delay in my new one arriving, without any height adjustments, and, are you ready for this, no sway control what so ever!!! And I'm still alive.

It was windy, and a busy travel day across I-96 with lots of other RV's and Semi's. I could feel the large SUV's, RV's and Semi's when they went by, but I have to give a lot of credit to the Argosy, it hardly budged behind my Bronco. I asked my daughter, who was setting in the back, if she could feel andything and she said, no only that the Bronco usually bounced and swayed more when there was nothing behind it, than it was today.

I did get a little seasick though when I was stuck behind a couple of Suburban's pulling "Boxes", going about 55 and swearving all over the place. I was sure glad to get around them, they were making me nervous. After all of the great posts I read on here about how great Suburbans were and how bad Bronco's were I was a little surprised to see how poorly they were doing in the wind today, by the way, they both appeaed to have sway control.

Maybe, just maybe, there is more to pulling a trailer than numbers on a spec sheet, TV and Hitch? Maybe the driver has a little bit to do with it, or maybe the TT design it self,but then again, you really can't look up a number for these, or site a spec sheet. So for all of you Bronco bashers out there, I'm not saying its perfect, but until you have actually pulled a trailer with one, telling every one how bad or dangerous it will be, is like telling a bubble bee it can't fly, because it's specs dont look good on paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973 24ft Airstream Argosy XS -06.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	938.8 KB
ID:	41247   Click image for larger version

Name:	1973 24ft Airstream Argosy XS -03.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	805.7 KB
ID:	41248  

WestMichCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome the the Forums

Congratulations. My old TV, a 77 Dodge van actually was better in crosswinds with the 67 24 Trade Wind attached than it was without.

vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1973 24' Argosy 24
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Just a follow up note

So that people don't think I did not know what I was getting into, and taking a big on road risk pulling with my Bronco, the previous owner, who has had it for over 16 years after he purchased it out west and pulled it back to Michigan, told me that he has never used or really needed anti-sway bars to pull it.
WestMichCamp is offline   Reply With Quote