Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
I tow where I'm told.

2004 28' International CCD
1948 22' Liner
Oakland , Florida
We tow our 04 28' International with a F-350 crew cab which is a bit overkill for this trailer. We owned the truck before the AS. Last TV was a Suburban 3/4 ton which was a great TV. Would work perfectly for this tow. In my opinion the diesel power is the way to go. We get between 13.5 and 14 mpg fully loaded with the kayaks on the racks. My suggestion would be a 3/4 ton Pick-up or Suburban. Also keep in mind the hitch set-up as well. There is some real good information threads on this forum to help with that.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I didn't think so myself, but it is in the owner's manual. '02 Silverado 2500HD, 4x2, 6.0, gas. GVW 8600 tow capacity 7600.
If it had the 4.10 gear in the rear end, it would be 9000 tow capacity, gvw still 8600.
It's pretty easy to have the gears changed. About $350 for the ring/pinion set and less than 4 hours labor at a good shop. That would be a good time to have a TrueTrac installed if you don't have the G80 locker already.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Valrico , Florida
I agree with the 3/4 ton pickup choice. Bigger & Heavier chassis. Ford, Dodge, GMC, what ever fits your comfort needs and budget. I also know the Diesel is the better over all tow vehicle....but, I have chosen the Gas motor with the lowest gear set available. I still fell like I'm driving a very comfortable pickup without the shake, smell and sounds of a Diesel truck. Fuel economy is within 2-5 mpg of the current Diesel rigs and with the truck costing over $6,000 less, I can buy a lot of gas. I've also chipped my Dodge along with a CAI & exhaust. I feel it runs great really great..!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
tow the big heavy airstream with a diesel excursion and hensley setup.plenty of power and stability.probably wouldnt go back to gas unless i was towing 25 ft or less.2005 ex has an 11000 lb towing capacity.trailer weighs in at approx 8500 lbs loaded.acheived 13.3 mpg on last outing.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Perfect Tow Vehicle

We have a 2010 Flying Cloud 27FB that weighs pretty close to yours. We invested in a new Ford F250 diesel. This is a short bed crew cab and we added a cab high matching camper shell. The F250 hitch is rated at 12,500 pounds when adding a equalizing hitch and about 6,200 pounds without. We added a 10,000 rated Equalizer anti-sway set up.
Our first 2,000 miles of travel have taken us through every kind of terrain and road and I love the F250. The reserve towing capacity adds a huge safety factor. Close passes with semi's and large buses largely have no effect on our stability. Ford's tow boss feature and built-in trailer break system are both exceptional. The built-in back up camera is a bonus that allows me to easily backup and hitch up by myself when needed. Extend the electric mirrors when towing at the press of a button.
Lastly, the extra carrying capacity of the truck is huge for full size bikes, mountains of cargo, kayaks or a boat on top, and a generator if need be.
This truck is made for towing and if you enjoy large pickups like I do, makes for a great daily driver (in the short bed single rear wheel config).
I've seen new '09's for about $10K off the sticker prices. Go with the 4x4 and Lariat trim levels. We average 13 MPG while towing / 15 without.

Safety is paramount for me. I like the tow vehicle having more weight than our trailer. The big front end crunch zone is good too. I see a bad accident almost every trip so if we have a choice.....

Hope this helps,
Bill & Sheri Dettman[IMG]file:///Users/dettman/Desktop/IMG_5374.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The '09 Ford F150 w/ 5.4L 3-valve, automatic w/HD is rated to tow 11,000 lbs in regular or Supercab format, 2-whel drive or 4-wheel drive.

Surely that's enough tug for a 7,600 Gross weight TT?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #21
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Danville , Virginia
As another newbie, I am very happy with our Silverado 2500 ext cab, longbed/Duramax/Allison 4x4 W. towing package. Hauls the Harley and 28' Safari @ any legal speed effortlessly, 16 mpg towing, 19+ not, and the wife can recline & sleep! If the bed is empty I generally don't even hook up the W/D torsion bars.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Not using hitch WD bars

Quote:
I generally don't even hook up the W/D torsion bars.
Check your factory hitch rating on your truck (there should be a factory sticker on the hitch). Our AS dealer told me that I did not need to hook up the WD bars for short trips. In checking though, I when not using our Equalizer WD bars the F250 factory hitch is only rated at 6000 LBS MAX. 12,500 with WD. That puts us over on the hitch rating and squarely in legal trouble in there's ever an accident.

I've found one thing important to date. Check the specs, check the specs and check the specs - then stay within your truck and trailer specs. We also weigh our rig on most trips.

Hope this helps,
Bill Dettman
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
craig , Colorado
I have always prefer ford diesels
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Boston , Massachusetts
Wow, you guys are great! Thanks for all the welcome and the great ideas. Based on all we read, and our overall needs I think we are headed toward a suburban with a 4.10 axle ratio. if there are other must have items, we are all ears.

We are from the Boston area, but have a little place (plus children and grandchildren) in Montana and have children and grandchildren in California. Sick of the endless New England winters, so we plan on following good weather, fishing, and grandchildren. Sounds as though there is universal agreement among all of you that under power is a big mistake. We would love to be more "green", but none of you have suggested we buy a Prius as a tow vehicle......

Thanks again.

Rich and Christina
Old 10-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyfisher View Post
Wow, you guys are great! Thanks for all the welcome and the great ideas. Based on all we read, and our overall needs I think we are headed toward a suburban with a 4.10 axle ratio. if there are other must have items, we are all ears.

We are from the Boston area, but have a little place (plus children and grandchildren) in Montana and have children and grandchildren in California. Sick of the endless New England winters, so we plan on following good weather, fishing, and grandchildren. Sounds as though there is universal agreement among all of you that under power is a big mistake. We would love to be more "green", but none of you have suggested we buy a Prius as a tow vehicle......

Thanks again.

Rich and Christina
Good choice!
We are right around the corner from you (RI)...if you ever need any specific help on AS related stuff, give us a shout.

Interesting comment on being greener. A lot of us are trying to live greener, and it seems as though our choice of “hobbies” conflicts with that. I am fortunate enough to ride a bike to the office just about every day, and leave my big honkin’ truck in the driveway. I figure that pretty much offsets the 10k or so miles we tow each year. Not to skew your decision on the Suburban, as they are awesome vehicles (we have owned 2), and it is too bad they are not yet available in diesel, but our choice of diesel is also more “green” than going with gas and was a (minor) factor in choosing a tow vehicle.
Stream on…we’ll see you in the woods of New England (in the summer months anyway!).

Bill
Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #26
Lyle & Margie

2008 28' International CCD
Lakeside , California
Define green

Rich and Christina: Here is our experience, as limited, as it is.

September of ‘08, we purchased a new ’08 GMC Yukon ½ ton hybrid (2wd). We have two daughters that live in Northern California, (San Mateo & Modesto). Every couple months we take a trip to visit them and the grandkids. We take I-5 from, our home in San Diego to Los Banos and then either the 152 to San Mateo or the 165 to Modesto. For those of you who are unfamiliar with that route, it includes two trips over the “grapevine”.

With an average speed of 70-75 mph, we get 22+ mpg. At an average speed of 55 mph we have gotten 25+ mpg. Around town I average 21 mpg and the wife gets 20. If you have driven a hybrid, you know, how you drive will have an affect your mileage.

In May, we purchased a used ’08, 28ft, CCD International. Since then we’ve taken a couple of trips:

The first one was to Los Banos, Toscano RV, (900+ miles round trip), to have some Warranty Service on the AS completed. For this trip we set the cruise at 55 mph, we averaged 14+ mpg round trip. At one point, over 200 mile stretch, we averaged 15+ mpg.

We just completed our second trip. We attended the Four Corners Unit rally in Albuquerque NM for the Balloon Fiesta (thanks again 4CU for allowing us to attend that great event). We went from Albuquerque to Monterey CA. We were gone for three weeks, and put 3322 miles on the odometer (average cruise at 62 mph). We averaged 13.4 mpg (this appears to be as much as 20 to 30% improvement over a gas powered, non-hybrid TV). We do however try to travel light with the AS @ 6200 lbs. By the way, the Yukon has a 6.0, 332 hp, with 367 ft/lbs of torque and a 308 rear end. In spite of the tall gearing (for better gas mileage), we have been over the Grapevine several times at the speed limit (55 mph).

Here are a couple of articles that may be of interest to you:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0803_2009_gmc_yukon_2_mode_hybrid_first_test/index.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4300544.html

Lyle & Margie
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I thought and researched long and hard before I decided on my second straight shift cummings with exhaust brake. For me personally I wanted the ability to select the gear to asend and decend the grades we pull from coast to coast and for me the 6 speed straight shift was the only way to go with my dodge mega cab for personal comfort. My unit weighs in at just over 10k and it pulls it very nicely.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Lyle & Margie there is a great article in this months Trailer life on tires and towing speed. I think you might find it interesting and informative and maybe even a life changing experience. Hope you aren't using Marathons.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best tow vehicle