Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
Ford E-150 Van

I also tow with a 1999 Ford E-150 van purchased new. I ordered the trailer towing package which gave me a 5.4 L engine and 3.55 rear end. The van works great for my 19' Bambi and I get about 12.5 to 13 mpg. I occasional tow my John Deere tractor with backhoe of about 6900 pound with no problem. The van has over 100 K miles with no problems. The only draw back not cited by other respondees is use of my Yamaha 3000SEI generator. I have to remove it from the van to operate. I did build a small winch that inserts into the hitch receiver that make the removal and replacement easy. I have not noticed any fuel odors inside the van. Otherwise, I think a van is a great option for trailer towing since I can access my junk and keep everythink dry. I don't like crawing up in a truck bed in the cold and rain looking for stuff.
Frank
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
The generator is part of the deal. I have an old 2.7kw Onan that I removed from a 76 motorhome. The thing is a beast. I think it weighs like 170 lbs or something. I'll have to figure out a way to get it on and off.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Wow.. the extended length thing is scary. Def. going to stay away from that.
So a 3/4 ton with like a 350 type or bigger engine, try to get a 4. whatever axle ratio if possible. Awesome.
Extended, 15 passenger van is great....with one mfr. 2 mfrs didn't extend the wheelbase with their extended vans. One did. That one is a 155" wheelbase with the same rear overhang as the short vans. That one is a GREAT tow vehicle. Other 2...not so much.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Pardon another thought. To make theirs a long wheelbase Ford welds a section of chassis to the back end to make it longer, making the distance from axel to hitch point nearly 6 feet. Not good. Chevy lengthens the entire chasis , keeping that important rear measurment much shorter than Ford.
I think you'll find it to be well over 6 feet from hub to hitch ball. more like 6.5 - 7'
Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Extended, 15 passenger van is great....with one mfr. 2 mfrs didn't extend the wheelbase with their extended vans. One did. That one is a 155" wheelbase with the same rear overhang as the short vans. That one is a GREAT tow vehicle. Other 2...not so much.
Got it now.. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
If I were buying a van for a tow vehicle, I would probably look for a one ton passenger van, so I could tow most any size Airstream and carry all my toys.

Dan
Be careful going to a one ton from 3/4. First the one tons are much harder riding which will translate to more shock back to the Airstream. Secondly, especially in the older vans, the some of the one ton chassis had lower tow rating due to the additional weight of the beefed up frame.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Although at one time, it took a 1 ton van to get the full floating rear axle. Is this still the case?

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Be careful going to a one ton from 3/4. First the one tons are much harder riding which will translate to more shock back to the Airstream. Secondly, especially in the older vans, the some of the one ton chassis had lower tow rating due to the additional weight of the beefed up frame.

Jack
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #28

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post

I towed with a 93 GM light 3/4 ton conversion van for years. It was not adequate for power because it only had 195 hp and 343 gearing.

Dan
Keep in mind that conversion vans are typically heavier that a same sized passenger van. Many of those deluxe interiors carry some pretty heavy materials.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
IMHO, these are not good tow vehicles and were the root of many rollover allegations a few years ago.
The rollover incidents weren't related to towing. The problem is that these vehicles have a high center of gravity to begin with, and adding 15 occupants (typically a college club/team or church group) made the CG even higher. An evasive maneuver with too much steering input - often by a driver unaccustomed to how these vans handle - led to rollovers. Stability control was added in recent years to help address this risk.

I've done a lot of long-distance towing with two different 15-passenger Ford E-350 Club Wagons (a 89 with the 460 and a 2000 with the V10), towing a small cargo trailer. The tail did wag the dog a bit, particularly from the wake from passing semis. Better sway control would have helped.

That said, if you're going with a 15-passenger van and a big trailer, the GM vans with the long wheelbase and short rear overhang would be the better way to go for towing dynamics.
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Luis Obispo , California
Just towed with my 92 Ford extended van ...Short distance with no sway control. The suspension on the van took the weight just fine (the van wasnt loaded). Not sure about the engine or gearing on the van, but I definitely wanted a bit more power....however as it was I was surprised how little the trailer wagged. That said I wouldnt tow further than I did. Still no other vehicle beats that van for versatility in non-towing applications. Ive slept in it, moved in it, traveled in it since it was new (Family car...its nearly as old as I am!).
joelreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
The rollover incidents weren't related to towing. The problem is that these vehicles have a high center of gravity to begin with, and adding 15 occupants (typically a college club/team or church group) made the CG even higher. An evasive maneuver with too much steering input - often by a driver unaccustomed to how these vans handle - led to rollovers. Stability control was added in recent years to help address this risk.

I've done a lot of long-distance towing with two different 15-passenger Ford E-350 Club Wagons (a 89 with the 460 and a 2000 with the V10), towing a small cargo trailer. The tail did wag the dog a bit, particularly from the wake from passing semis. Better sway control would have helped.

That said, if you're going with a 15-passenger van and a big trailer, the GM vans with the long wheelbase and short rear overhang would be the better way to go for towing dynamics.
That is true. The rollovers weren't specifically related to towing, however they were related to loading and more specifically to heavy rear loading. That, and, as you said, relatively inexperienced "church" drivers with high heavy rear loads. All that being said, the vast majority of the incidents were with "added onto" extended 15 passenger vans. The same principles do apply to towing. Stability control has mediated these issues to some extent, but physics is still physics. Given a choice, short overhang is always a good choice.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Good point. The high loading (filling the rear seats) will only worsen the oversteer in these vans with the long rear overhang.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I tow with a Ford E350 12 passenger. It came out of the rental market with 10.000 miles on it and far less $ than a comparable PU and less than half of what a new van would cost. If you are looking for a GM you will not find one from the rental market, they use Fords. My van has the Ford towing pkg, tranny cooler over sized battery and all. Since it was in the rental market it also came with handy things like a GPS, back up camera, and back up sensors. I beefed up the hitch when putting on the running boards but could have stayed with the factory installed. Creature comfort are less but easy to add. Plus you get to add what you want. Con is gas mileage it sucks. I am considering a CNG com version since I have so much extra room and can easily accommodate the tank.
This TV is the best I have owned. It is a mule when it comes to work. Tows beautifully, easy to maneuver, and easy to load and unload. An added advantage is that the entire family can now fit in one vehicle when we are going somewhere-grandkids and all.
I use my Ford dealer for service, the van has been problem free for 30,000 miles, and they charge no extra to work on a E350.
My advice is go for it. Buy the Ford with the towing package already installed so you will not have worries about transmission and such. Look at the rental market all of the major companies rent these vans and you can find a good deal.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Does your van have the extended rear? Any issues there?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Just bought me a tow vehicle..
The War Wagon!
----------------------------------------------------
Year: 1990
Make: Chevrolet
Style / Body: Extended Wagon 3D
Engine: 5.7L V8 TBI
Country of Assembly: Canada
Model: G30 Vans Beauville / Sport

107K miles This has been a church van up until a few months ago. Could make a great Work Van, or a Band Van as well.
I just took off the 16.5 rims that came stock and put a brand new set of 16" rims and tires on it that retails for over $900. They have less than 1000 miles on them!
I still have all the seats or you can take them out and use it as a work van.
Oh, has AC front and rear!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Daniel

Looks like a great tow vehicle for not a whole lot of money. The only issue may be engine power and rear end ratio. My old TV was a 93 Chevy van with the 5.7L motor (195 hp) and 3.43 rear end. Not nearly enough towing muscle. I considered replacing the motor with a new GM high torque motor and also changing the rear end ratio, but just never did. You will have lots of room for all your stuff in the rear of the van.

Dan

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #37
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
About the best there is...
Now strip the paint off and polish it...
Lose the seats...
Find some aluminum rims...
Add some Vista Views and your all set.
Imagine the toys and stuff you can bring along now !
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Woodinville , Washington
need help please, pleeeease :-)

Grrr... I typed my whole thing and it went poof, gone. lol
Hi all, new here. I am looking at a 78 (I think) 32' Silverstreak..the outside is beautiful and the interior needs a lot of work...(that will be the next post ;-) my question is can I tow it with the below listed vehicle? If not what should I be looking for...I have been unemployed for far too long and since the kids are all cooked and out of the house I am considering hitting the road in search of my retirement home/new career/sun/adventure/whatever. All I know is something has to change. Since I will be living in it I obviously want as large as I can get and since I have ALWAYS wanted a cool old silver trailer I'm gonna get one by d**n..lol
TV info:
So far no rear end info
Curb Weight 4052 lbs
Engine Type 5.7L V8 OHV 16V
Trans 4 speed auto overdrive
Overall Length 180.10 in.
Overall Width 79.50 in. Overall Height 80.90 in.
Wheelbase 110.00 in. Ground Clearance No data in.
Track Front 69.00 in. Track Rear 67.40 in.
Front Brake Type Disc
Rear Brake Type Drum Turning Diameter 41.30 in.
Front Suspension Ind Rear Suspension Live
Front Spring Type Coil Rear Spring Type Leaf

Thank any and all for any and all input
Lisa
LittleLucy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #39
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Welcome to the forums.

It would be helpful if you could provide the make, year, and model of your tow vehicle.

The specifications you provide, while helpful, don't tell us about the springs or the axle capacity, which will determine what you can tow.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #40
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I love vans. have owned several over the years, starting in the 70's when you had to do your OWN customizing if you wanted windows, carpeting, side pipes, rear speakers... My first airbrush was bought to customize a '73 Ford E-150.

only problem I see for me using a van as a TV would be the lack of 4x4 for some of the other things I want to do.