Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2003, 09:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Garage door "real" opening's vary all over the place. The standard door is 7' tall. However, the frame overlaps the door by however much the guys who framed it up decided. Then the guys who came in and poured the concrete floor affected that height.

I could BARELY get mine in the garage (27' deep) before I put a boat in there. Even at that the radio antenna dragged across the door. So I just back it in next to the Airstream in the driveway.

That's one thing you'll find about the truck... it's a lot easier to put it wherever you want it by backing rather than going forward.

Aim those little manual convex mirrors at the bottom of the TT mirrors at the rear tires, so you can see where they are WRT other things. Makes a big difference when you're backing toward a curb, or close to a drop-off.

Then get you a set of the C-Betr Mirrors but install them on the TT mirror arms without the "anti-rattle" rubber they include, so you can slide them on the arms. You can't fold the TT mirrors in with them unless you extend the TT mirrors and then slide the C-Betrs out. That may be a bit of a hassle, but they're the best things ever invented for the SuperDuty.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:34 PM   #22
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Then get you a set of the C-Betr Mirrors but install them on the TT mirror arms without the "anti-rattle" rubber they include, so you can slide them on the arms. You can't fold the TT mirrors in with them unless you extend the TT mirrors and then slide the C-Betrs out. That may be a bit of a hassle, but they're the best things ever invented for the SuperDuty.
Moe,

Thanks for the reminder. I knew I forgot to order something.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 07:40 AM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Teething Problems

Porky, do you know if Ford has ironed out the little problems they had in '03 with the 6.0?
I know it is almost completely new, with a higher redline, and "detuned" for emissions, with a side benefit of better MPG, but there were a few quirks they were working on.
Terry
(at least your tow vehicle runs...)
Old 12-14-2003, 09:47 AM   #24
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Terry,

Ford made over 30 changes to the engine ... and these changes went into production around 9/29. So there are '04 trucks out there with the '03 engine. Most of the problems were with the early production engines ... units built before April/May of '03.

When I heard that the changes were coming, I knew I would wait for those and felt pretty confident that they finally got it figured out.

Also, most of the problems with the original '03 engine have been solved with a new flash and injector replacements. There have been far less complaints over at TheDieselStop.com.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 12-16-2003, 12:48 PM   #25

Smile

We purchased a 2001 34' Limited slideout last year. This is the first Airstream that we have traveled with at all. Actually our first trailer. We've been wondering what advantage the Hensley Hitch would be over a Reese or Blue Ox. If you or anyone else out there have any advice, we would be thrilled to get it! Thanks much! Chris and Teresa Ryan, Key West, FL
Old 12-16-2003, 02:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Uh-oh... What's say we not hijack the current topic. Folks reading this, please don't reply to this sideline.

Okay that's done. Yaketyak, look at the following links and do a search on the word hensley. Then either add a question to one of those strings or start your own. You'll see all sorts of opinions and some of the more level-headed ones in the first thread. (#1) (#2) (#3)

Best of exploring!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Sweet lookin' truck Porky!!,

But it does look like they shorted you a couple of feet on the bed length.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by argosy20

Mark, I think that would be when you find somebody that wants your old truck more than you do...
BTW, I didn't know they offered the 1500 series with the 6.5 TD?
Terry

They did indeed sell a few 1500's with the 6.5 TD in them. I guess there were a few old farts left around at GM back in the 90's from the even more dismal 5.7 and 6.2 days.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:28 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Cool truck...gotta love the Fords!

After searching all over southern Ohio, Indiana and northern Kentucky for our "dream truck", we ended up ordering it from Dale Jarrett Ford in North Carolina. Actually got the best deal and they were happy to help us...unlike many of the local dealers who were trying to unload the leftovers they had on the lot! My favorite response was from some polyester-clad salesman who told my husband that the "little woman in your life certainly wouldn't want to have to learn how to shift...I'd recommend an automatic to make it easier on everyone!" My hubby replied "well, you obviously don't know by wife and she'd never buy a truck from you!" What nerve! We promptly left that dealer and never went back! We have a 2002 Ford F-350 4WD, super cab, 6 speed, short bed, 7.3 PSD with a Superchip upgrade. We absolutely love it! Towing our '70 Trade Wind, we average about 14 MPG...a little less when I drive...I tend to have a lead foot! I think you'll be very happy with our choice...we are! When you can tow up to 17,000 pounds, the length of your bed really doesn't matter!
Debby
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:17 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
I tow a 34' with a 2003 Excursion, 6 liter. Typically get about 12 MPG running about 65.

About 3 months ago I had the dealer replace all the injectors (very early 03 model). Haven't had any problems, before or after. Do get slightly better mileage with the new injectors.

The Hensley hitch and BrakeSmart are both superb: I have both.
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
We're getting 19.0/16.3, according to on-baord computer

Our 2004 F350 with 6.0L diesel SWD SB (now with all of 1500 miles on it) was showing 19.0 MPG on SE Texas coastal flats with no tow; pulling 28' Classic, the mileage (as computed on-baord) has dropped steadily to 16.3.

Not sure how often the computer updates its usage statisitics, however - anybody know?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
I think the computer reads out in real time or whatever you would call it. I know that mine will vary with towing or highway driving. You can reset it and watch it change with the slightest change in driving. Mine will typically read 13.7 to 14.2 but if I tow long enough it will drop to 12 to 12.5 and then after towing it will steadily come back up. How quick it changes also seems to depend on how many miles you've driven since it was last reset.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:21 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by 62 Overlander
I think the computer reads out in real time or whatever you would call it. I know that mine will vary with towing or highway driving. You can reset it and watch it change with the slightest change in driving. Mine will typically read 13.7 to 14.2 but if I tow long enough it will drop to 12 to 12.5 and then after towing it will steadily come back up. How quick it changes also seems to depend on how many miles you've driven since it was last reset.
What the computer does is average the MPG since the last time it was reset. If you want "real-time" MPG figures, click the little button until it reads "Instant", and it will show what your truck is doing at that moment.
Terry
Old 12-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Aaaahhhh...that makes sense!

That would explain why it's slowly been decreasing, instead of making a quantum jump to a lower average rate.

My idea of roughing it is no HBO...
Old 12-18-2003, 06:14 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Good looking truck. You will just love your 34 Classic. We ordered ours Dec. 6, 1997 and took delivery on Feb. 7, 1998. My new tow vehicle was shipped 12-14 and should be here just any day. What a GREAT Christmas
HURST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:37 PM   #36
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up Thanks Captain Charlie ...

A new truck for Christmas ... you're gonna love it. The DuraMax/Allison is a potent combo.

The Hensley Arrow and the BrakeSmart Controller arrived today. The BrakeSmart looks like a piece of cake to install ... the Hensley is really heavy!

Sure wish January would hurry up and get here.

TrailerGypsies.com

-- Willie Dixon
Old 12-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Porky Pig,
Like you, I didn't want the dual rear wheels because I felt I could do without them on my 2500hd with 8.1 and Allison transmission. I felt that the extra tire/wheel combination would actually hurt mileage but can't say for a fact. I consistently get 10-11 mpg towing my 31' Excella. I'd love the towing mileage of a Duramax but that will have to be in the future.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote