Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #43
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
You hope . . . .
I already know....Don't make start another picture post....

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I just can't wait for my VIN so I can download my window sticker and post - after that I'll have another 30 days at minimal - but before you know it I'll be posting pics right along with Shane!

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Got my VIN this week and downloaded my window sticker from Ford - ordered a ARE tonneau cover today - but after measuring the height of my Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator - I think it won't fit under the tonneau cover and now gotta go with an ARE topper.

Question now is which one? Cab Height (highest quality) or sloped roof (shed window up and over Airstream)...

I guess there could be worse problems to have - BTW the Yamaha generator was used today for 4 1/2 hours - Love It!!!
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #46
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Got my VIN this week and downloaded my window sticker from Ford - ordered a ARE tonneau cover today - but after measuring the height of my Yamaha EF3000iSEB generator - I think it won't fit under the tonneau cover and now gotta go with an ARE topper.

Question now is which one? Cab Height (highest quality) or sloped roof (shed window up and over Airstream)...

I guess there could be worse problems to have - BTW the Yamaha generator was used today for 4 1/2 hours - Love It!!!
YUP, Won't fit. I have a Honda eu3000isa generator...Thats why I have the retrax electric Slide top,,....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:

We have a 3000 generator and it fits perfectly (alright, not perfectly but pretty damn close) under the Trac Rac tonneau cover. It fits because the tonneau cover has a little wiggle room - works great. Don't have pictures readily available, but really it works great.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Are you sure? If that is true then I'm gonna stick with the tonneau cover - that's my first choice!

Is there a few inches clearance or does your Trac Rac slide right over it? Was going to go run over to the dealership on Sunday with my Yamaha EF3000iSEB measurements and see if the height would be under the bed rails....

Otherwise its an ARE cover with perhaps a Bed Vault so no one can see what's in there - with the generator sitting on top for when I take it out with me - now that's gonna be expensive...

Brad, you got my hopes up....
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Damn - I feel like Brett Farve here - to tonneau or topper - gamble and hope my EF3000iSEB will fit under my A.R.E tonneau cover (love the look of the tonneau vice having a topper) or be safe, with more function, and order an A.R.E. topper....

And if I go with a topper... which one? The "top of the line" A.R.E. Z Series which is cab height (like the quality of the components in their Z series) or the cool looking A.R.E. TW Series - like the height and look, directs wind over the top of the Airstream, but will it impede my ability to enter parking structures, and the windows, latches, etc. are not the same "OEM" type quality of the "Z-Series"...

Perhaps a few frosty beverages and an afternoon of watching football will help me make this choice...

Which topper do you think would look best on a Ford F-350 King Ranch SRW - the A.R.E. Z Series or the A.R.E. TW Series - help a brother out here...
**I Love U.S.A.**
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #50
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Stay with the close-fit cab height type. Period. The other only hurts FE and the larger sail area is no help either. My truck and trailer were 60" apart. CUMMINS and others will tell you that TV/TT must be within 30" for TV aero to benefit TT aero resistance. Increased sail area, and increased area above the tailgate is going the wrong direction for aero purposes.

This is what you'd want were it in production:

And go with the most secure latches possible. (Any way to lock the tailgate latch is a good step, too).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Are you sure? If that is true then I'm gonna stick with the tonneau cover - that's my first choice!

Is there a few inches clearance or does your Trac Rac slide right over it? Was going to go run over to the dealership on Sunday with my Yamaha EF3000iSEB measurements and see if the height would be under the bed rails....

Otherwise its an ARE cover with perhaps a Bed Vault so no one can see what's in there - with the generator sitting on top for when I take it out with me - now that's gonna be expensive...

Brad, you got my hopes up....
Absolutely it fits. The tonneau cover touches the gas cap on the top of the generator. As long as you position the generator so that it fits between the rails that are part of the cover you will absolutely be fine. Let me know if you need pictures and I will oblige.
WBCCI #1271

Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
For whatever this is worth; not saying this is right for everyone - just what we did and and works great for us. Again, it is the Trac Rac tonneau cover (racks removed in these pictures).

Notice the hydraulic lift (Northern Tool) we use to get the generator at least close to the lift gate height - helps a lot getting the generator into the truck bed. The other thing is that once I get the generator loaded into the truck bed it stays there - just run the electrical cord into the generator - no fuss no muss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	121568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	121569  

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	121570   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	121571  

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	121572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	121573  

WBCCI #1271

Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #53
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
If I HAD to get an "old man" topper it,...not Cover but a camper topper would be the Z series...otherwise it would not fit in my garage. Plus I like the clean look of the windows on the side, myself. This is just my opinion.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...nd-bedrug.html

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Two things I will comment on; don't do any under coating as every body shop in the north can tell if it was under coated, it rusts twice as fast. If you are really concerned then do a cathodic protection system. Second, you'll wish you had a 3.73 rear end before it's all over. The 3.55 might be a better mileage setup but it's not the best for towing IMHO.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #55
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Two things I will comment on; don't do any under coating as every body shop in the north can tell if it was under coated, it rusts twice as fast. If you are really concerned then do a cathodic protection system. Second, you'll wish you had a 3.73 rear end before it's all over. The 3.55 might be a better mileage setup but it's not the best for towing IMHO.

Pap
Wow,,..I ordered 2011 f250 with the 3.31 on mine. Tows great is mountains and valleys. No worries at all,plenty of power... but then again mine weighs less than his Classic.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Shane - kicking me in the "jimmy"?

If I do have to go with the "Old Man Topper" - I want to see what everyone thinks looks best. As I google the web I'm coming up short on example pictures. BTW - great pic of a Super Duty with the A.R.E. Z-series on it - Shane, you know I value your opinion...

Pap - Hoping that "800 ft lbs w i d e torque band" will make up for my 3.55 locking rear end with the 20's (should work out to be the same gearing as Shane's rig).

I feel pretty good on that decision since my Touareg with 407lbs torque pulled fine - granted I can really load up the truck and more importantly, the Airstream now that I'm going with a beefier TV...

Heading out to the Ford dealer now with measurments in hand - Like I said, I know the topper is "more functional" but I like the ideal of the tonneau, both the "look" and the ability for no one to see what is in there...

So - please - more commnets on the two model toppers apprecitated - I need to make my decesion on Monday when "Cap World" opens up - keep the order I placed on Saturday with the tonneau cover - or go with a topper and if so, which one?

The only decesion I have made is that either way - I'm going with A.R.E. as my manufacturer...

**I Love U.S.A.**