Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Opinions on F150/Pro Backup Assist/25'+

Just got my '16 XLT, and won't be able to set up the backup assist for awhile. Wondering how it works for you, for backing a trailer 25' or longer. Please no replies if you don't use it.
clamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
Yesterday I attempted to set up pro backup assist on my 2016 F1 50 .Setting up the system requires that you apply a sticker and take 4 measurements and load those measurements in the onboard computer. One of the measurement is from the license tag to the center of the ball of your hitch. That measurement for me with a Pro Pride hitch is 23 1/2 inches. When I tried to load my measurements into the computer, I found that the maximum distance from the license tag to the hitch ball you can enter is 16 1/2 inches ! I am trying to reach someone at Ford to determine if there is anyway to modify the system. If not, I guess the system won't work for me.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:47 PM   #3

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
I tried again today using the front of the PP hitch rather than the ball.
I got it set up and seems to work as advertised. There will be a learning curve getting used to the knob control but should be worth it!!!
Old 03-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting. I'm looking at a new F150 and this is one of the options that I was wondering about. So is the consensus that it actually works well?
Thanks

Doug
Old 03-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
In spite of the fact that I don't own one, I'll post anyway...
I'm sure that once you master the setup of the system, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. I'm sure it is slick!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamb View Post
Just got my '16 XLT, and won't be able to set up the backup assist for awhile. Wondering how it works for you, for backing a trailer 25' or longer. Please no replies if you don't use it.
Hope you have better luck than me. I have a Blue Ox Hitch, and a Flying Cloud 27FB. The first measurement requires you place a sticker on the A-Frame of the trailer tongue. The entire sticker must be placed between 7 inches and 22 inches from the trailer ball hitch on a horizontal surface. Guess what, that's where the propane tank cover is. The whole sticker must be in this "green zone." Sure glad I know how to back up a trailer, but I am a little disappointed. Don't know if there is a way around this, but I doubt it.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Will be interesting to see if there ends up being a work around on these issues. Wonder if Ford would assist it working through the issues.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
I got mine hooked up and tried it out in a large parking lot with room all around. Worked great- when the trailer is aimed the way you want it, you just let go off the knob and you could back up 50' (or more) with it staying on course.

Putting the sticker on the a frame, I had to put the sticker on a piece of flat bar and elevate it on magnets to avoid bolt heads, etc. on the frame.

Yes, very close to the propane cover, but OK
Old 03-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
I got mine hooked up and tried it out in a large parking lot with room all around. Worked great- when the trailer is aimed the way you want it, you just let go off the knob and you could back up 50' (or more) with it staying on course.

Putting the sticker on the a frame, I had to put the sticker on a piece of flat bar and elevate it on magnets to avoid bolt heads, etc. on the frame.

Yes, very close to the propane cover, but OK
Thats good to know, thanks for the input. After rereading the detailed "Quick Start Guide" for the pro trailer backup assist I see where I measured at the wrong angle, as shown on the sticker placement diagram. It sounds like you put yours next to where the propane tanks cover rests on the A-frame. I'm going to give that a try, thanks again.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Marina , California
I just tried to set up my new F-150 with Pro Trailer Backup Assist found the same issue as egraham with the first required measurement. The distance from my license plate to the center of the ball hitch is a greater distance that is allowable in the setup process. I have a Hensley (Cub) on my 19' Bambi. Hopefully Ford will be able to address this issue. If anyone finds a solution please post it on the Forum.
Off-we-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
See post #3, For first measurement I went from license plate to front of PP hitch rather than the ball.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Marina , California
Were did you end up placing the sticker?
Off-we-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #13

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
On the A frame right in front of the propane tank cover
Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Frisco , Texas
Can you post a photo of where you put the sticker?
Shopping for my first truck and Airstream. Leaning towards Ford with Back up Assist, as I have never backed up a trailer. Thanks
Arnoldter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldter View Post
Shopping for my first truck and Airstream. Leaning towards Ford with Back up Assist, as I have never backed up a trailer. Thanks
A back up camera will NEVER be of any assistance backing up a trailer. It may help you couple he trailer but once that is done you are on your own.

Please don't let anyone tell you different.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A back up camera will NEVER be of any assistance backing up a trailer. It may help you couple he trailer but once that is done you are on your own.

Please don't let anyone tell you different.
In this case, the camera is not being used as you think it is. It sees a sticker placed on the a-frame, and as the truck is turned, the truck's computer determines the relative angle between TV and TT. You steer the truck by turning an auxiliary knob, not the steering wheel. The knob it turned opposite the direction you would normally turn the steering wheel, as if you were steering the trailer, not the truck.

When the trailer is aimed where you want it, regardless of the truck's position, you release the knob. The trailer will then continue on its heading and the truck will straighten until it is in line with the trailer.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldter View Post
Here's a picture of mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1685.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	260943  
Old 04-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
So, how does it deal with the pro-pride? does it back up well? If you are trying to go back straight does it actually go straight?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
In this case, the camera is not being used as you think it is. It sees a sticker placed on the a-frame, and as the truck is turned, the truck's computer determines the relative angle between TV and TT. You steer the truck by turning an auxiliary knob, not the steering wheel. The knob it turned opposite the direction you would normally turn the steering wheel, as if you were steering the trailer, not the truck.

When the trailer is aimed where you want it, regardless of the truck's position, you release the knob. The trailer will then continue on its heading and the truck will straighten until it is in line with the trailer.
I think I will stick to my original statement. In the time it would take one to begin to understand the camera I could teach anyone to back up a trailer. This sounds like an accident going some where to happen.

If you want a head start find a large lot like those at a truck terminal and go there on a Sunday. Drive the length of the yard parallel to the side and about 20 ft. off the side. Now back up the length of the yard keeping the rig that 20 ft. off the side. Once you have master that use the lines on either side of a loading dock as a camp site and practice backing in. You are interested in where the of the trailer are going not the angle between the Trailer and TV. Start with the line on the drivers side of your rig and once mastered have them on the passengers side, know as the blind side.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I think I will stick to my original statement. In the time it would take one to begin to understand the camera I could teach anyone to back up a trailer. This sounds like an accident going some where to happen.
Howie, I do have all the respect in the world for you, and I agree that old school is, in so many ways, better. I, myself, know old school, and I can back a trailer, but now I find myself with a new technology that is actually pretty simple to set up, and once done, you don't have to "understand the camera". You just take a few measurements and go through a brief setup procedure, and the computer does the rest. I recommend a spotter during that learning curve to avoid that potential accident.

Referring back to my OP, I specifically asked that if you don't have this truck and this system, please do not post, because I didn't want to have a can of worms open up. But I do think it may be the future- other manufacturers are going to go there. We will always have the choice of how we want to back the trailer into a spot. One day we will probably have multiple remote cameras to display a full 360 of everything!