Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Somewhereinthewoodsof , Maine
Opinions on a 1969 chevy panel?

Just wondering... I'm new to this and I like the looks of this.

running unique Chevy project panel truck

From what I've read, it'd be too small for anything over 20', underpowered, and even still, might not handle 20' well enough.

I'm guaging interest that people have in this idea. Would such a beast be good enough? Or would it require a ton of upgrades to make it worthy of hauling a 20' trailer reliably?

I welcome your opinions. I think I'm decided that when I get a vintage AS, I'll get a vintage panel van/panel truck of some sort as a TV.

thanks

(p.s. does it help that it's a movie star truck?)

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
IMHO the truck is not going to meet your needs. It is underpowered, doesn't have power brakes (or front disc brakes which would be even better). These trucks were "rusters" in the rocker panels, bottom of the front fenders, and other places but those are the two primary ones I'm aware of. It's a pretty bare bones unit - there's one I just put on the Interesting Craig's List Finds thread that's in the Seattle area - a long ways away - but have a look at it for comparison appearance and pricing.

This suburban would be fairly noisy inside, seats were not as comfortable then as they are now so you'd be changing that out and by the time you start to redo all the things on this one you'd be into it for some serious bucks.

I'm an obvious fan of using vintage TV's but my recommendation is to buy the best one you can find with the most options. Have it certified by a licensed mechanic for safety and run it past a body shop for their appraisal on the body and ask what a paint job would cost. With those things in hand you'll have a good idea of what it is likely going to cost you.

If you are very good mechanically and aren't shy about spending some bucks to buy the upgrades you can make the suburban here into a pretty nice vehicle and when equipped properly they do make great TV's. But think about the costs of power disc brakes - a kit will probably cost you in the $500 and up range, probably closer to $800, plus the labor to do it. If you want A/C add another $1,200. New tires $400 plus. Suspension, a proper hitch, stereo, some sound deadening for that big booming interior and you'll quickly hit 5 to 6K easy, and it still will want paint and wheels, and.................

Those are my thoughts. Too often I've seen folks pick up what should be a great vintage TV only to realize it's got a ton of hidden problems and the costs to repair them becomes staggering. Not much different than vintage Airstreams where all the appliances worked when it was put away etc.....

Barry

Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've done a little work with older vehicles, and I agree with Barry. Looks more like an ocupation than a tow vehicle. You will easily put a lot more money in it than you will ever get out of it, either in use or resale. And on top of that, because of the transmission, the brakes, and the fact that those years of GM 350s were carbureted, it would not make a good tow vehicle and would use lots of fuel.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks folks, I am learning more all the time.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
But it would be cool Yes, it would be a money pit. You would want to add power brakes (not that bad). Now a twenty foot or less...the rig is lighter than a suburbon and a 350 would work hard. My view would be you would only do this if you really really liked that truck...I admit I have looked at stranger vehicles...but usually I listened to the little voice inside that said...what are you doing OK, so I have no credibility here, I tow with an ambulance...but some times ya just have to go with what works for ya.

rob
Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Here's an example of what would make a great vintage TV. A friend who we camp with sold a 1966 Chevrolet Impala Station wagon. It had a rebuilt 396 engine with new Edelbrock carb, was upgraded with a 700R4 overdrive transmission set up for towing and a heavy duty transmission cooler, converted to power disc brakes, PS, all new heavy duty suspension, air bags added on the back springs for helping with trailer loads, heavy duty class 4/5 trailer hitch. It had the mechanical fan on it and also an electric pusher for when the temps were getting a tad high. It had new paint, restored interior (a nine passenger car) and was set up for A/C but the compressor was out of it and the hoses so some work to add it back. It had a nice stereo system. The car for all intents was brand new inside and out and although the body had not been taken off the frame it was otherwise completely restored, updated, and ready to tow and they did, hauling a 23' SOB easily through the mountains. But it was too new for him as his other TV's are a '35 Ford and a '54 Ford station wagon.

That Impala to build would cost today, doing much of the work yourself, in the 15 to 20K range and more if you had to farm out much of the work and could find a rust free, dent free car.

He sold it for 13 I believe.

He's gone back to his '54 Ford wagon that is only a 54 in appearance. Power train, brakes,suspension, etc are all late model Ford all designed to haul a trailer (his 21' Flying Cloud). He's done 99% of the work on the Ford and still easily has 12K in it over the past 15 years of building it. The same for me with my '57 Pontiac wagon. It's virtually a later model vehicle, including the front half of the frame, and it tows beautifully. But we've done everything on the car ourselves except the paint and it's taken a long time (28 years of ownership), wounded the budget more than a few times, but we wouldn't do it any other way.

OK, that said, in our case we also have a late model GMC truck that we use for the long haul, quick trips down South during the winter months when there's a high probability of inclement weather, or where we are intending to go boon docking in an area where the roads are gravel or dirt. Can't get my baby too dirty you know.

We use them though and fairly hard. We tow thousands of miles a year and we live on the coast so much of our towing is through the mountains.

So I am a huge supporter of using vintage "looking" TV's but also consider it a huge safety factor that they are upgraded as much as feasible - even if it's done over a period of time while using the car/truck appropriately.

There are a lot of late sixties and early seventies wagons in particular but also some very nice heavily optioned trucks including Suburbans that were bought as TV's and treated better than the average truck. Those are the ones to look for. It would already come with a heavy duty suspension, transmission and coolers, good sized brakes (and maybe disc's and if not upgrade it as soon as you can), and most used in this manner had A/C, decent interiors, and other little luxuries that today we consider standard equipment. These vehicles show up often enough in car and truck trader magazines, on Craig's list, eBay and local classified sections (your best place to get a reasonable deal). You could also ask your current mechanic if he knows of any and many folks find them by driving past storage compounds and the storage places for condominiums. Also, small towns are a great place to look, drive down alleys and back streets and don't be afraid to knock on doors and ask if that truck is for sale. The worst they can say is no.

I've used the internet to access the classifieds in many small towns and found lots of neat stuff from trailers to cars to toys that in the bigger towns are snapped up quickly or priced out of my comfort zone.

Good luck with your search.
Barry
Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I took a good look at the pictures in the ad, and the rocker panels are junk, along with the front doors. It may or may not need floor replacement. Adding power brakes is a couple hundred dollars, adding front discs will easily add another $300 or more to that figure, and the seller states the brakes are broke. We had a 350 in our van that we towed our Overlander with, and it was more than adequate for most tasks, but a 400 transmission would be a good upgrade, another $600-1000.
I think you've already decided against this one, but this should reaffirm your decision.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I've used the internet to access the classifieds in many small towns and found lots of neat stuff from trailers to cars to toys that in the bigger towns are snapped up quickly or priced out of my comfort zone.

Good luck with your search.
Barry
I have one particular model vehicle that I'm looking for, not as a TV, but as a vehicle to have for other purposes, and I have a Craigslist RSS feed reader that checks for this vehicle across all the CL in the USA. If it pops up on CL, I'll know about it anywhere in the US. It's very handy.

Thanks for hte tips, particularly on what vehicles to look for. There's a lot of 'romantic' ideas I have about AS and related TV, but before I shell out any money, I'm reading through some of these forums and asking a few questions here and there that should provide good guidelines on what to even look for.

I do appreciate everyone's responses, so thanks a bunch. Hopefully when it comes to it I'll either know full well what I'm getting into or I'll know what to steer clear of - either way, knowing is better than not. I've no illusions as to the work required for either AS or TV restorations - lots of work and money that'll never be recovered.

Thanks folks. I'll keep on reading, post some questions here and there and someday I'll be joining you at the rallys and sharing my own stories of "No sh*t, there I was... " and sharing the tale of how when I took of the flux capacitor is was full of nauga droppings... or the one about the "perfect no-leak trailer" that lost a wheel on the way from its recovery... etc etc.

Thanks folks!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Vintage truck!

I applaud your mindset of a vintage burb - not what it will cost to make it work. The cool factor of that vintage suburban is through the roof. I have a friend who bought a 71 burb and a 92 donor truck. He is very resourceful and clever. I'll try to get some pics of his ride. I think it is stunning....
He has a 71 tradewind and the package is truely awesome. I like the suburbans better than the panel because of the third door, 2 on passenger's side, 1 on driver's. I found the AS first and want to build a TV to complement it. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1972 21' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
67-72 tv

The 1967 to 72 chevy trucks are a great tv for vintage airstreams. Pretty much everything is available for them . complete suspension kits . the trailing arm suspension lends itself very well to an air bag upgrade. a late model fuel injected 350 install is very simple with the aftermarket parts available. 72 trucks came standard with front disk brakes

Name:   trailer.bmp
Views: 808
Size:  549.4 KB
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Very nice set up '66. I like those years of trucks.

There's a big block, short box, bucket seat '70 in my old home town thats been babied since brand new and never treated like a truck that I'm hoping to acquire at some point. He knows I want and have wanted it for 35 years so I'm hoping that he'll give me a call when he's ready to part with it. I always make it a point to go and see him when I'm back . Gotta keep those communication lines open.

Barry
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
When we were in Malibu, a guy from canada came in the park with a 72 dodge 3/4 ton sportsman. Truck was mint and he had a camper. I think he pulled the original 360 and found a cummins from a wrecked truck. He said the change out was easy and the engine was from a late 90s dodge.He claimed very reliable and lots of power. Anyway, he was the only one with that combination in the park. I give guys like that lots of credit, as my skill sets are limited to writing the lease payment every month.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
1972 21' Globetrotter
rochester , New York
Jack rabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Very nice set up '66. I like those years of trucks.

There's a big block, short box, bucket seat '70 in my old home town thats been babied since brand new and never treated like a truck that I'm hoping to acquire at some point. He knows I want and have wanted it for 35 years so I'm hoping that he'll give me a call when he's ready to part with it. I always make it a point to go and see him when I'm back . Gotta keep those communication lines open.

Barry
Safari 57,
That rig sounds awesome. I prefer the long bed for 2 reasons.
1 ) I can haul a lot of crap
2) When unloaded the short bed trucks undulate with the short wheelbase. ( maybe different when towing)

I tow with my 66 convertible or my 72 truck. no matter what a rebuilt suspension and a fresh motor is necessary. the pontiac has a 389 and the truck a 350.

Sounds like you have a great truck on the line. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
the car needs to be reliable first, then worry about towing.
i personally own nothing but classics, in fact i have never owned a new car. that being said, i make sure that my cars are reliable daily drivers. i have to make sure my wife has a safe car even if it is 50 years old.
after i got my cadillac all dialed in, then i set it up to tow.
but this was after i rebuilt the motor, tranny, redid brakes and all the other goodies, even did airbag suspension.
after all that, then i put on the trans cooler, hitch, etc etc.

i think a classic towing a classic is a great site to see.
just make sure your car is dialed in before hooking anything up to it. make sure it can handle long drives, freeways and all that before you worry about it handling a trailer.
but if you can do it, go for it. you cant beat the reaction people give you, cant beat all the thumbs up and the honking and picture taking.