Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Opinion please, on transmission cooler..

We have yet to pick up our new baby (International 27FB) and wondered if we needed a transmission cooler for our '08 Surburban 1500?!?!? This is the first time we will be towing anything! Any remarks, advice is always welcome....we'll be making many lists!
Thanks,
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
Hello there,
My TV is a Chevrolet K1500 pickup and it has the towing package with the standard transmission coolers from the factory. It does not have an aftermarket (larger) cooler, however I installed a ScanGuage II and can read the transmission temperature. This summer on a trip to Arizona and Utah the transmission temperature rose above the engine temperature only once, and that was on a hot day, running the airconditioner, and in traffic. The temp got to about 220 and was only there briefly. The trans temp should run somewhere close to engine temp on a hot day. On cooler days it will run much cooler. SO --- my opinion is that I do not need a bigger cooler, but make yourself comfortable.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If it doesn't have one, get one. A cooler is usually less than $100, a transmission replacement runs a couple thousand. Our Suburban has a cooler that's larger than many automobile radiators. If it doesn't have one, I'd look into a lube oil cooler as well. you can tell if it has one by looking where the oil filter goes. If it has one, you will see a pair of metal lines leading away from the filter, going to the radiator.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I see the OP is in Florida - not many hills but daytime roadways are scorching hot - even if you have a factory cooler you can always add a second one, its not much of a effort. I've seen projections to reduce ATF temperatures 25°F doubles the service life of the transmission. Replacing the fluid often is a great idea; yes it is a 2008 and maybe 20,000 miles so far but now (or soon) is the time not as an afterthought after you're pushing 60,000 (voice of experience)...

Also - a true pan drop and filter change using sealed containers of the OEM branded proper ATF and blowing out the cooler & lines, not a recirculating type fluid exchange or using the service centers bulk fluids they often pipe to each repair bay - too many chances of contamination (voice of experience) and avoid add-on treatments even if they are from the dealer (but not branded GM, Ford, etc)....
Old 01-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
I see the OP is in Florida - not many hills but daytime roadways are scorching hot - even if you have a factory cooler you can always add a second one, its not much of a effort. I've seen projections to reduce ATF temperatures 25°F doubles the service life of the transmission. Replacing the fluid often is a great idea; yes it is a 2008 and maybe 20,000 miles so far but now (or soon) is the time not as an afterthought after you're pushing 60,000 (voice of experience)...

Also - a true pan drop and filter change using sealed containers of the OEM branded proper ATF and blowing out the cooler & lines, not a recirculating type fluid exchange or using the service centers bulk fluids they often pipe to each repair bay - too many chances of contamination (voice of experience) and avoid add-on treatments even if they are from the dealer (but not branded GM, Ford, etc)....
If you do the pan drop,you can not get the atf out of the converter,so you are leaving 3-4 qts. of fluid in there.I`ll stick with the flush from my local mechanic.
Put in as big of a cooler that will fit. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
A transmission temperature gage is also a very useful tool; even w/ a cooler temps can get out of control... and w/o a temp. gage you have no way of knowing what's happeing.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I have an 07 Avalanche LTZ and had the dealer install the GM transmission cooler that is listed on the GM accessories page installed price was around 150.00 if I remeber correctly
wilkeytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I say leave it alone.

Hi, if your tow vehicle has the factory tow package and you don't go over your maximum weight and/or tow limits, You should be fine. I say leave it as is. Your vehicle was designed to handle towing the way it was made. I say do your trans service on time and I want the pan removed, new filter, and all new fluid. [note: some GM vehicles don't have a torque converter drain]

The down side of aftermarket trans coolers, (1.) Cut lines, can leave pieces of metal that can and will destroy your trans. (2.) Added pieces of rubber hose and the use of hose clamps are very common causes of anything from minor leaks to blown off hoses causing major failure and some times fire. (3.) How to run the lines. Run the lines so that the trans fluid goes throught the radiator first for the first stage of cooling or the first stage of warm up and then through your add-on cooler. If you run it though your add-on cooler first, it will be vertually usless. And if you run it through your add-on cooler and totally bypass your factory cooler, your trans could run too cold at times. [cold weather]

If you feel you have to add another trans cooler, it is best to find one made for a large truck with threaded or quick-lock fittings. [Maybe from a C-50 Etc.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote