Old 04-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Opinion: High Mileage 2011 F250

Hey everyone.

People have been great with advice so far, and I feel like I've stopped myself from making bad decisions in general when it comes to vehicles.

I had been hoping to find an F150 of 2010+ with the towing package, but it's pretty much impossible, at least in Austin. I've found one 2011 F150 Platinum with 30k but with an asking price of nearly 40k... I don't need the bells and whistles of a Platinum... electric running boards? Really?

I've come across a 2011 F250 6.7l Lariat, low end of the Lariats, no GPS, but with the camera, full bed liner, leather heated/cooled seats, and off road tires that... admittedly ruin it's gas mileage by 2-3mpg. One previous owner, a foreman who put lots of miles on the vehicle but no real signs of abuse... honestly it's in pretty damned amazing condition.

But yeah.... it's got 106k miles on it, as a 2011. That's pretty daunting for me considering it's more than my 2005 Xterra has, and the guy did it in two years.

I've got it on a weekend drive test, the mileage around town has sat at about 14.5, computer calculated not pen and paper, and although it's huge I do somewhat like it. On Monday I plan on taking it to a mechanic to get a check up, considering the high mileage.

The asking price is quite attractive, he listed at $32.5k which is 3k below the Edmunds value. Besides a few nicks in the windshield it really seems gorgeous.

I guess I'm looking for general opinions on buying a truck at that value, with that many miles... and what to expect. Right now we are just towing a 1966 Globetrotter, but we will likely add something larger to the collection this year. I could easily see 5k-7k in towing mileage this year.

Here is the truck in question, with my girlfriend standing next to it... I still can't get over the general size of the vehicle. I can't imagine what the extended bed would be like.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
These trucks are all over the oilfield. I know one man with 215k on his 2011. Trucks expected to work (under a heavy gooseneck trailer) are still Dodge, but the Fords are all over the place as solo runners.

Do you really need a truck is the real question. The TT indicated would in all ways be better off behind a car or minivan. Not to mention the long term costs. Safety and dollars point away from trucks especially on smaller TT's.

That said I bought my pickup at 3-years and 120k as it was used by a company owner in a service business. Has lost $3k in depreciation in the past six years. And under $500 in repairs as it approaches 200k. But, emissions-controls on post-2008 pickups mean shorter life (likely) and higher overall costs (not just fuel).

If the truck has solo tax-deductible miles (as was my situation in business) then a qualified maybe.

A HONDA Odyssey would be at the top of my list for that TT. Look to threads/posts by Andrew Thomson of CAN AM RV (and their website, go through it). They do what we all once did: put the aero aluminum TT advantages to work for us. Not fight them.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
What "larger" trailer are you looking at? I have a very similar truck to tow our 7000 pound trailer, with gas engine, gets 13 not towing, and cost less than half as much and after a year of ownership has 70000 on it. It has 2wd, you can expect 4x4 to add to the price, as well as repairs, and decrease fuel mileage.
I think the truck you found is a nice looking truck, but I have a very good friend that owned an oil business, and oil field work is hell on a truck, any truck. A very close inspection is indicated.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Larger trailers would be in the 30+ range, depending on what we find. It would also likely see increased weight on the original frame due to the equipment that would be going into it.

The 5-7k towing would all be business miles. There would also be a good portion of regular driving that ended up as business miles.

We've been towing with a 05 Xterra which has the power for the Globetrotter but lacks a bit in the wheelbase and the rear springs would at this point need helpers or bags. I've had a long thread with people in regards to that situation. The Xterra has 105k on it, and I love the car to death, and it's paid off. It'd be a good car for my girlfriend though since she's about to kill her old Honda with 225k on it.

I think the reason I had convinced myself to take the increased cost of the truck was related to what would happen if something did happen to our Airstream. It'd insured but we couldn't get unemployment insurance so we'd lose a huge amount of money while attempting to rebuild a new one.

If I could honestly get away with the Xterra being "fixed" and a good equalizing/sway hitch I'd be more comfortable, but I've been struggling over saving money vs safety... and we don't have a lot of tax deductions right now anyways.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You asked for opinions, here is mine. Any truck has a limited life before it gets just too many things wrong to fix economically. Lets say you figure that is 212,000 miles, double what it has on it now, and probably not an unreasonable number.

Then the price of the truck should be half the cost of a new one (actual purchase price) of the same specs, as it is half used up. Was that truck $65,000 new? I doubt it.

At least that is the way I look at it.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
A new, F250 priced out with the same bells and whistles, pretty much the same truck, is sitting at 58.1k from Fords website. So... it's not far off.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
New 2012's, similar to what you are looking at, are advertised in Seattle for around 40k.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
My opinion: Looks like a great vehicle. I am admittedly biased because I think an F250 diesel makes the perfect towing machine. BTW, if you could buy a new 2012 diesel F250 4x4 for $40k I'd be highly suspect; if I had to say I'd say not going to happen. Think very high 50's, even north depending on the package.

With a 2011 over 100k miles probably a lot of highway miles, which is good. I'm guessing the previous owner has in reality 3 years on it, making annual miles at about 35k. High, but not scary. It would be good to see their maintenance records, make sure it has been nicely treated.

Our 2008 F250 diesel we bought in 2007 and have 115k miles on it. I am expecting it to last us years into the future, and no repairs to date, can't predict the future. The 4x4 feature, while not really on my original wish list, I have used (gratefully) more times than I would ever have expected, and has allowed us to go places we could not have otherwise.

But my favorite feature is the electric running boards. Kidding.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I'd try to negotiate a slightly lower price or inclusion of an extended power train service agreement. The truck looks clean in the picture. My 2010 F250 V10 is about to turn 28,000 miles and I bought it exactly 3'years ago. I don't drive enough to justify the added expense of a diesel. Your situation sounds different and this may be worth taking a chance as long as you have some insurance in case you start to have power train issues.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
My opinion: Looks like a great vehicle. I am admittedly biased because I think an F250 diesel makes the perfect towing machine. BTW, if you could buy a new 2012 diesel F250 4x4 for $40k I'd be highly suspect; if I had to say I'd say not going to happen. Think very high 50's, even north depending on the package.

With a 2011 over 100k miles probably a lot of highway miles, which is good. I'm guessing the previous owner has in reality 3 years on it, making annual miles at about 35k. High, but not scary. It would be good to see their maintenance records, make sure it has been nicely treated.

Our 2008 F250 diesel we bought in 2007 and have 115k miles on it. I am expecting it to last us years into the future, and no repairs to date, can't predict the future. The 4x4 feature, while not really on my original wish list, I have used (gratefully) more times than I would ever have expected, and has allowed us to go places we could not have otherwise.

But my favorite feature is the electric running boards. Kidding.
The 2013's are 50 and up. The 2012's they've been trying to blow out.
http://www.soundford.com/new-ford-f-...teriorColor_/8

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Another.
New 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4WD Seattle WA - Pierre Ford - Call Us Now at 866-657-0775

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Wow. You are right, I am wrong. Still sounds amazing to me!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I know!! I wish I had 40k.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would spend 40k for a new 2012 truck before I would spend about 30k or more on a 2011 truck with 106k miles on it. I am sure the bank would feel better about that loan also.

Dan