Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Opinion: High Mileage 2011 F250

Hey everyone.

People have been great with advice so far, and I feel like I've stopped myself from making bad decisions in general when it comes to vehicles.

I had been hoping to find an F150 of 2010+ with the towing package, but it's pretty much impossible, at least in Austin. I've found one 2011 F150 Platinum with 30k but with an asking price of nearly 40k... I don't need the bells and whistles of a Platinum... electric running boards? Really?

I've come across a 2011 F250 6.7l Lariat, low end of the Lariats, no GPS, but with the camera, full bed liner, leather heated/cooled seats, and off road tires that... admittedly ruin it's gas mileage by 2-3mpg. One previous owner, a foreman who put lots of miles on the vehicle but no real signs of abuse... honestly it's in pretty damned amazing condition.

But yeah.... it's got 106k miles on it, as a 2011. That's pretty daunting for me considering it's more than my 2005 Xterra has, and the guy did it in two years.

I've got it on a weekend drive test, the mileage around town has sat at about 14.5, computer calculated not pen and paper, and although it's huge I do somewhat like it. On Monday I plan on taking it to a mechanic to get a check up, considering the high mileage.

The asking price is quite attractive, he listed at $32.5k which is 3k below the Edmunds value. Besides a few nicks in the windshield it really seems gorgeous.

I guess I'm looking for general opinions on buying a truck at that value, with that many miles... and what to expect. Right now we are just towing a 1966 Globetrotter, but we will likely add something larger to the collection this year. I could easily see 5k-7k in towing mileage this year.

Here is the truck in question, with my girlfriend standing next to it... I still can't get over the general size of the vehicle. I can't imagine what the extended bed would be like.

AustinToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
These trucks are all over the oilfield. I know one man with 215k on his 2011. Trucks expected to work (under a heavy gooseneck trailer) are still Dodge, but the Fords are all over the place as solo runners.

Do you really need a truck is the real question. The TT indicated would in all ways be better off behind a car or minivan. Not to mention the long term costs. Safety and dollars point away from trucks especially on smaller TT's.

That said I bought my pickup at 3-years and 120k as it was used by a company owner in a service business. Has lost $3k in depreciation in the past six years. And under $500 in repairs as it approaches 200k. But, emissions-controls on post-2008 pickups mean shorter life (likely) and higher overall costs (not just fuel).

If the truck has solo tax-deductible miles (as was my situation in business) then a qualified maybe.

A HONDA Odyssey would be at the top of my list for that TT. Look to threads/posts by Andrew Thomson of CAN AM RV (and their website, go through it). They do what we all once did: put the aero aluminum TT advantages to work for us. Not fight them.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
What "larger" trailer are you looking at? I have a very similar truck to tow our 7000 pound trailer, with gas engine, gets 13 not towing, and cost less than half as much and after a year of ownership has 70000 on it. It has 2wd, you can expect 4x4 to add to the price, as well as repairs, and decrease fuel mileage.
I think the truck you found is a nice looking truck, but I have a very good friend that owned an oil business, and oil field work is hell on a truck, any truck. A very close inspection is indicated.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Larger trailers would be in the 30+ range, depending on what we find. It would also likely see increased weight on the original frame due to the equipment that would be going into it.

The 5-7k towing would all be business miles. There would also be a good portion of regular driving that ended up as business miles.

We've been towing with a 05 Xterra which has the power for the Globetrotter but lacks a bit in the wheelbase and the rear springs would at this point need helpers or bags. I've had a long thread with people in regards to that situation. The Xterra has 105k on it, and I love the car to death, and it's paid off. It'd be a good car for my girlfriend though since she's about to kill her old Honda with 225k on it.

I think the reason I had convinced myself to take the increased cost of the truck was related to what would happen if something did happen to our Airstream. It'd insured but we couldn't get unemployment insurance so we'd lose a huge amount of money while attempting to rebuild a new one.

If I could honestly get away with the Xterra being "fixed" and a good equalizing/sway hitch I'd be more comfortable, but I've been struggling over saving money vs safety... and we don't have a lot of tax deductions right now anyways.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You asked for opinions, here is mine. Any truck has a limited life before it gets just too many things wrong to fix economically. Lets say you figure that is 212,000 miles, double what it has on it now, and probably not an unreasonable number.

Then the price of the truck should be half the cost of a new one (actual purchase price) of the same specs, as it is half used up. Was that truck $65,000 new? I doubt it.

At least that is the way I look at it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
A new, F250 priced out with the same bells and whistles, pretty much the same truck, is sitting at 58.1k from Fords website. So... it's not far off.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
New 2012's, similar to what you are looking at, are advertised in Seattle for around 40k.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
My opinion: Looks like a great vehicle. I am admittedly biased because I think an F250 diesel makes the perfect towing machine. BTW, if you could buy a new 2012 diesel F250 4x4 for $40k I'd be highly suspect; if I had to say I'd say not going to happen. Think very high 50's, even north depending on the package.

With a 2011 over 100k miles probably a lot of highway miles, which is good. I'm guessing the previous owner has in reality 3 years on it, making annual miles at about 35k. High, but not scary. It would be good to see their maintenance records, make sure it has been nicely treated.

Our 2008 F250 diesel we bought in 2007 and have 115k miles on it. I am expecting it to last us years into the future, and no repairs to date, can't predict the future. The 4x4 feature, while not really on my original wish list, I have used (gratefully) more times than I would ever have expected, and has allowed us to go places we could not have otherwise.

But my favorite feature is the electric running boards. Kidding.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I'd try to negotiate a slightly lower price or inclusion of an extended power train service agreement. The truck looks clean in the picture. My 2010 F250 V10 is about to turn 28,000 miles and I bought it exactly 3'years ago. I don't drive enough to justify the added expense of a diesel. Your situation sounds different and this may be worth taking a chance as long as you have some insurance in case you start to have power train issues.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
My opinion: Looks like a great vehicle. I am admittedly biased because I think an F250 diesel makes the perfect towing machine. BTW, if you could buy a new 2012 diesel F250 4x4 for $40k I'd be highly suspect; if I had to say I'd say not going to happen. Think very high 50's, even north depending on the package.

With a 2011 over 100k miles probably a lot of highway miles, which is good. I'm guessing the previous owner has in reality 3 years on it, making annual miles at about 35k. High, but not scary. It would be good to see their maintenance records, make sure it has been nicely treated.

Our 2008 F250 diesel we bought in 2007 and have 115k miles on it. I am expecting it to last us years into the future, and no repairs to date, can't predict the future. The 4x4 feature, while not really on my original wish list, I have used (gratefully) more times than I would ever have expected, and has allowed us to go places we could not have otherwise.

But my favorite feature is the electric running boards. Kidding.
The 2013's are 50 and up. The 2012's they've been trying to blow out.
http://www.soundford.com/new-ford-f-...teriorColor_/8

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Another.
New 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4WD Seattle WA - Pierre Ford - Call Us Now at 866-657-0775

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Wow. You are right, I am wrong. Still sounds amazing to me!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I know!! I wish I had 40k.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
Old 04-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I would spend 40k for a new 2012 truck before I would spend about 30k or more on a 2011 truck with 106k miles on it. I am sure the bank would feel better about that loan also.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
You asked for opinions, here is mine. Any truck has a limited life before it gets just too many things wrong to fix economically. Lets say you figure that is 212,000 miles, double what it has on it now, and probably not an unreasonable number.

Then the price of the truck should be half the cost of a new one (actual purchase price) of the same specs, as it is half used up. Was that truck $65,000 new? I doubt it.

At least that is the way I look at it.
I agree. My 2000 Excursion has 208,000 miles. I have replaced the brakes several times, the entire front end, every thing that is spun by the serpentine belt except the air conditioner, power locks windows ect, the list goes on and on. I live with the repairs because I can't replace the truck.
32k for a truck with over 100k miles, really? That is at least 10k too high.
Look on Ebay, I have seen a new, stripped 250 XLT 4x4 gasser for 37k.
You don't need that much truck for your trailer. Any of the basic half ton trucks will work fine and if you can live without the bells and whistles, the new price will be he same or less than the 100k miles "creampuff" you are considering.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
That 2011 truck will last 300k at least. High miles really aren't an issue with the motor, but the rest of the truck will still age.

I have to agree, 40k on a 2012 with 10 miles is a better buy. Even if you had to fly to Seattle to get it.

With the bigger wheels, the on board computer doesn't know they're bigger unless it's been calibrated. So you have to figure the tire size error into your MPG calculations. The onboard computers are also notoriously optimistic.

As much as I love the looks of a slight lift and larger tires, they're going to do nothing for you except look good. Smaller, narrower, highway tires and a lower ride height will improve the fuel efficiency. I'm assuming you don't go too far off-road with the trailer.

Most AS folks like 2WD, but an interesting thing about 4x4 is that it holds it's value. If it's $3,000 more for the 4x4 new, it's $3,000 more for 4x4 when it's 5yrs old. Maybe not exactly $3k, but pretty close.

As much as I love diesels, there is a long break-even point on the added expense. You have to drive it over 150,000 miles (roughly) to realize the savings of owning a diesel. Those numbers change all the time with the price differential of gas/diesel, and the different manufacturer's cost of gas vs. diesel.

You should check out the 2014 Dodge 1500 3.0 diesel. After 15 years of hearing rumors of a 1/2 ton diesel making it to the USA, Dodge has officially announced an Italian made V6 3.0 for this fall. We're all hoping that this truck will hit the 30mpg highway mark. The rest of the world has mid-sized diesel trucks. If Toyota brought the Diesel Tundra to the US, I'd own one. I would have owned one 15 years ago.

I have another reason to own a diesel. I make my own biodiesel for about 25 cents a gallon. So the payback on diesel is much quicker for me. My truck gets about 16 commuting and around town, and the best I've gotten is 23 (22.9) on homebrewed B100, strictly hwy, no trailer, hand calculated, 0.7% odo error, on 35" tires and a 3" lift.

Good luck with the search. Let us know how it ends.

-Kevin
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The general reason (a good one) for a truck is the anticipated payload of the tow vehicle without the trailer tongue weight.

An ECONOLINE (or GM van) would be my choice over a pickup as the short rear overhang (body past rear axle) is short. And vans can be configured in many ways. Easier to buy, easy to throw stuff into, and relatively (I'd think) theft-proof (as Texas pickups have a way of disappearing across the border).

If there is no garantuan payload, then all sorts of cars, minivans and high zoot Euro turbodiesel SUVs are applicable. Try to get an idea of "what else" is necessary to the business.

TV payload capacity is the general limiting factor for formulaic lash-ups.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Personally if you can get a 3/4 ton truck regardless of brand for a decent price, you will be better off in the long run towing wise. I know I will get alot of debate on this and no doubt a 1/2 ton can do the job, but a 3/4 tone will do it much better. As far as your 2011 deal, I would recommend you look at a 2013 hold over that will get you at least $10-12 less than sticker. Ask the dealer sales manager to give you an X-plan price less all incentives and see what he says. Then ask if they will get into the holdback money. On a $60k vehicle, the hold back money the dealer gets at invoice is substantial. Do a Google on hold back dealer money and go from there. No reason for you to pay $40k for a non-warranty vehicle when you can buy a new one for a few thousand more.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
The trouble with getting your 1st diesel truck as a tow truck is you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. The back-up camera is priceless.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Yet the operating/ownership cost of a truck like this is in excess of $1/mile, all miles.

One needs to look at the largest picture in ownership costs. EDMUNDS has on their site a calc that looks at TRUE COST OF OWNERSHIP. AAA also has one. Financing, insurance, taxes, maintenance, repairs, depreciation, etc.

One specs the vehicle for the majority of it's miles. Not the occasional (several thousand miles) of "vacation" or what-have-you. If solo miles predominate then, as always: specify the vehicle that best meets solo miles that can also tow the TT. That's a wide range of vehicles for this TT . . . again, depending on the TV payload.

Finally, emissions diesels are going to be lucky to go 250k miles prior to rebuild. The older FORDS were built to this B50 life. Means that at 125k miles the engine is half-gone for purposes of planning. No amount of anecdote overcomes the design-life parameters. Injectors, pumps, etc are high-ticket items on diesel trucks.

So step back and look at overall potential costs, not just new vs. used.