Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlevel5 View Post
Brian,

As stated previously I tow with a one ton Silverado diesel with no problems. I choose the one ton at the time because the price difference on the 3/4 ton was negligible. Average fuel milage for the duramax is 20mpg when not towing and 15mpg when towing. Of course diesel fuel has been running a bit more per gallon so pretty much a wash on fuel cost/mile. I do use my truck for other chores and the additional capacity has come in handy. Since retirement the Silverado is also our primary vehicle and other than an occasional strange look when pulling into the Church parking lot it works well for us. One draw back is cab height, requires step bars to get into and out of the truck easily. Best of luck with your decision.
Thanks again, I am particularly interested of course in input from folks that actually use one ton trucks!

I just sent an email regarding suspension stiffness between 3/4 & one ton trucks ti GM Canada so I'll see what, if anything, that brings. Wouldn't surprise me if they just look at the tow ratings and tell me that the 1/2ton I have is fine!

As for cab height, we are quite used to that, my wife & I are both short and I needed to put step bars on our 4x4 1/2T and no doubt the 3/4 or 1 ton will be an inch or so taller.

What size is your trailer? I haven't spent enough time looking at ours yet (!) but it looks the same as yours - 30ft classic?

In your pic, there are a couple of things I don't recognize over the entry door - are those some sort of lights you have added?

Cheers ......... Brian.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
Wingeezer:

I'm looking at Kelderman. Their web site is: Kelderman Air Ride

The internet research I did (reading forum boards, etc.) indicates that they are considered one of the best.

My truck can only take a rear air suspension. This will not increase the payload capacity but only soften the ride.

Installed it's approximately $1,800 if I recall correctly. However I want the on board air compressor with auto leveling so it would be around $2,500 installed. They are located in Iowa and I am close enough to have them do the install.

Hope this helps.
Dave,
Thanks for the link - I have bookmarked it.

The testimonials made me think I was on the Hensley arrow website!

Wonder if many folk are using air ride suspensions when towing Airstreams.

Not something I had ever considered. Seems to me that years ago i had that feature on some vehicle we owned, can't recall which - I think maybe it was on an old seventies Monte Carlo that we used to use to tow a 20ft light wt travel trailer. I don't recall if someone had added it or if the car came with it.

Cheers .......... Brian.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Brian,

Our Airstream is a 2004 30' Classic Slide Out. The lights above the door you mention were there from the factory. This is the only trailer I have seen two lights mounted over the door. Surprisingly everyone notices it. I was once told by an Airstream Service Center worker that on occasion if there is a blemish in the aluminum or someone has a small dent in the skin of the trailer they will place a light there to hide it. Don't know how true the story is but makes for good conversation.

One other advantage we have found with the one ton truck is the ability to carry a lot of stuff without overloading the trailer. If you subtract the empty weight of your trailer from the max weight you will notice that the useful load can be very small. Having the extra capacity truck allows you to store additional items in the bed of the truck without overloading the combined units.

Also GM makes a nice roof rack for the large cab pickups that I have found very handy. We can can carry two kayaks without exceeding the rack weight limits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260080.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	69764  
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Responses on air ride add on

You will probably get a lot of responses on this...

IMHO...I would never ADD air ride with the idea of improving towability.
(replacing original susp).
Old 10-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Robert:

I'm not planning on adding air ride for towability but for ride comfort when solo.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Our friends have them on their cadillac SUV and have had them blow out 3 times... in 70,000 miles.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Brian
I would really hold off on buying a 1 ton,if you say you are happy with the power of your 1/2 ton. I really would go with the Hensley and your truck and see how it preforms. A F250 or GM 2500 would also be great. I would stay away from Shortbeds,not enough wheelbase.
We tow with a F350/7.3 Longbed .This was a case of having the horse before the wagon. So We didn't have much choice. However We love our F350 crew longbed. We use a Reese Straightline (dualcam) its and older model with 500lb bars. Which with the 1ton supension gives us just the right flexibility and gives us a LINCOLN Smooth ride.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #48
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Our friends have them on their cadillac SUV and have had them blow out 3 times... in 70,000 miles.
Jason,
Am I correct in assuming your talking about the bags in the air suspension.

They are just not something I would be comfartable with in a TV.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, those things don't have shocks.... It's kinda scary if you ask me... They were up in the mountains with the ATV's and blew the rear right side.... Rough ride out, without the trailer....

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 10-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Brian
I would really hold off on buying a 1 ton,if you say you are happy with the power of your 1/2 ton. I really would go with the Hensley and your truck and see how it preforms. A F250 or GM 2500 would also be great. I would stay away from Shortbeds,not enough wheelbase.
We tow with a F350/7.3 Longbed .This was a case of having the horse before the wagon. So We didn't have much choice. However We love our F350 crew longbed. We use a Reese Straightline (dualcam) its and older model with 500lb bars. Which with the 1ton supension gives us just the right flexibility and gives us a LINCOLN Smooth ride.
Well, I've only pulled the AS from the dealer in Ohio to my home near Toronto and power seemed ok, no problem pulling at 65mph (except a bit of sway started in at that speed from time to time.)

On the other hand it is pretty much flat as p*ss on a plate for thw whole journey! Things will be different on our winter trips thru new Mexico, Arizona etc., that's why I'm thinking that the 1/2T won't likely cut it power wise.

I know what you mean about the advantage of a longer wheelbase, but it just won't be practical as a daily driver - along with a crew cab.

My present truck is a short box, extended cab, and the sway was pretty minimal - might even had eliminated it by tightening up on my sway bar a little. As well, it only seemed to happen above 65mph, and from what I read, my AS tires are only rated for 65mph anyway, so I should slow down a tad!

From everything I hear, the Hensley I have bought should address the sway nicely on either my present truck or a larger version - it better for what it cost me!

Cheers ....... Brian.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlevel5 View Post
One draw back is cab height, requires step bars to get into and out of the truck easily. Best of luck with your decision.
There is a little ol lady in my town with a big mother truck. She travels with an old wooden box used as a step to get in and out of the truck. The box is tied to a rope so she can raise and lower the box.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
I tow a 34 footer with a F-250 diesel with a Reese hitch and see no reason to go to a F-350, or switch to a Hensley, I'm sure a Hensley is a fine hitch, but I have no sway issues at all with the Reese and I've towed in 35 and 40 mph crosswinds out in New Mexico. I have a 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the back of the truck and when it's full, the 250 still rides level as can be and quite smoothly too. I tow at 65 mph, sometimes a tad more... :-) My next truck will be another F-250, if I can ever wear this one out.
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
There is a little ol lady in my town with a big mother truck. She travels with an old wooden box used as a step to get in and out of the truck. The box is tied to a rope so she can raise and lower the box.
Now there's a thought - lots cheaper than those stainless tubular jobs!

Brian.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Absolutely no rivet problems, 1,000 lb bars, no sway control - but excellent stability due to duals, a touch of added blowout security (four rear wheels), and a joy to drive; however, I did change the rear spring pack to an alternate set of GM springs that levelled the truck and cushioned the ride somewhat, while reducing the capacity by about 2,000 lbs. 65,000 miles on the odometer now - split around 50/50 between towing and solo highway driving. The only real insurmountable problem might be too small of a garage! I weigh and run the duals at a reduced pressure, 50 psi light and 55 psi loaded - which is still a higher pressure than what Goodyear recommends for the load. Theoretically I could run at 45 psi - the minimum recommended by Goodyear but I've been getting excellent "across the tread" wear at the pressures mentioned. My rear duals are the original set - which I'll probably replace due to age rather than wear. I love the dually and, aside from the obvious and ridiculous diesel fuel prices, I'd probably replace it with another dually and make the same modifications. You don't find too many unhappy dually owners that tow 30' and longer Airstreams.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You know the problem here.. There is only one perfect TV the one you use and like. Like being the key word.. There are definitely some bad ones and we all here about those...

Good luck with your purchase....Test it first see if they will let you take it for a long drive...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 10-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Absolutely no rivet problems, 1,000 lb bars, no sway control - but excellent stability due to duals, a touch of added blowout security (four rear wheels), and a joy to drive; however, I did change the rear spring pack to an alternate set of GM springs that levelled the truck and cushioned the ride somewhat, while reducing the capacity by about 2,000 lbs. 65,000 miles on the odometer now - split around 50/50 between towing and solo highway driving. The only real insurmountable problem might be too small of a garage! I weigh and run the duals at a reduced pressure, 50 psi light and 55 psi loaded - which is still a higher pressure than what Goodyear recommends for the load. Theoretically I could run at 45 psi - the minimum recommended by Goodyear but I've been getting excellent "across the tread" wear at the pressures mentioned. My rear duals are the original set - which I'll probably replace due to age rather than wear. I love the dually and, aside from the obvious and ridiculous diesel fuel prices, I'd probably replace it with another dually and make the same modifications. You don't find too many unhappy dually owners that tow 30' and longer Airstreams.
Well, I won't be getting the duals but hopefully the hensley will make up for that.

Appreciate the feedback. Is the modification to put in softer rear springs something that any GMC dealer should be familiar with -or easily able to get info? Presume it would not be too costly a modification - under $1k?

Thanks ......... Brian.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Brian:

As I recall, it was around $650 through a very reputable heavy duty truck shop that specializes in suspension work. A simple 2.5 manhour switch with no other modifications required - permitting me to go back to the original springs for about $250 - including parts. Going back to the original springs will require new OEM shackles since the shop told me that they would not re-torque the old shackles. Accordingly, I threw the old shackles away. Although I was told that the replacement springs are an alternate offered for other GM vehicles (i.e. - ambulance body I believe) I don't know if GM would authorize the change. For the record, I would not sell the vehicle without replacing the original springs for fear someone would unknowingly overload it. My usage is based on careful weighing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Well, I won't be getting the duals but hopefully the hensley will make up for that.

Appreciate the feedback. Is the modification to put in softer rear springs something that any GMC dealer should be familiar with -or easily able to get info? Presume it would not be too costly a modification - under $1k?

Thanks ......... Brian.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:46 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Air Safe Hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Not so much that I "want" a one ton, just that in my local search I haven't come across any recent 3/4 ton 4x4 trucks equipped the way i would want, and all of a sudden, my local GMC dealer has 5 one tonners all diesel, low mileage, equipped for towing. All that I want, except being one ton rather than 3/4 ton.

I know I don't need one ton - just trying to get a feel as to whether it would be a really bad move to buy one rather than waiting for a deal on a 3/4 ton!

Thanks .............. Brian.
Brain, check out this thread. It may be something that
would help out with the 1 ton.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...hes-44641.html
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Wingeezer,

You are correct. Towing on flat Ohio terrain and the mountainous SW are two totally different scenarios. Having towed campers for 230,000 miles in 46 of the 48 states I strongly second your consideration of the 1/2 ton not being enough truck for the grades, both up and down. Obviously you have already justified the purchase price and the question now is simply "is 1 ton too much?" While I cannot speak with any authority about separation or damage from the TV I do know that the modern truck suspension is a far cry from yesteryear's. I encourage you to buy the 1 ton and then install a 110 gallon auxillary fuel tank in the bed of the truck which will, as someone stated above, give a much better ride when even half full and allow you to fill up with diesel fuel in Oklahoma where it is less expensive. Stopping to fill the tank only once from Canada to AZ is a bonus!

My gut feeling is you will not regret the 1 ton at all!

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:06 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
Heed the warnings concerning WD bars

Hi. Rather than hijack this thread I started a new one concerning my experiences towing with a 1 ton and too heavy bars.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post628736

Wheather you go with the 1 ton or a 3/4 ton, be very careful selecting your WD setup. Andy from Inland RV in particular has been warning folks about this for some time now. jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote