Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
Older Diesels for a TV?

We are expecting our new 2019 FC 28RBQ in November. Our current TV is undersized so I’ve been looking for a 3/4 ton option. We have 6.5 years to go before retirement, at most we do 1 to 2 week trips each year roughly 2500 miles each time. On average, we put about 3000 miles of towing on our TV each season, we might up that to 5000 now that our youngest is a Senior in HS and shipping off to the military next season.

As much as I like and covet the new tow vehicles, I don’t think spending $50k+ on a Diesel is a good idea for us at this time. What I am considering is getting an older Diesel 3/4 ton to get us through the next 3 to 5 years and then get a new fancy Diesel a few years before we go full time to work the bugs out of it.

I’ve found a decent 2008 F-250 XLT 6.4L Powerstroke with 109k miles on it locally. It was a Florida truck, never used to plow snow (no hardware for it either). I’ve test driven it and spoken with the owner. It drives much better than I’d expected. It has new tires (BF Goodrich Baja Champion 325/65R18’s which are beasts). I can pretty much pay for that truck out of pocket and sell my current truck in the interim.

I’ve also located a 2012 F250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke with 101k miles on it from a dealer an hour away. I’ve talked with the dealer, he seems legit, they get decent reviews. I suspect they picked up the truck at auction and have no idea about prior owners. From the photos, it will need new tires before next season.

I’ve never owned a diesel before. My wife and I have had 10 (11 in November) RVs in the past 25 years. I’ve typically kept newer tow vehicles, all gas.

So my question is related to getting an older truck as a Tow Vehicle. Am I crazy? Should I favor one over the other? We live in southern Maine, most Super Duty trucks up here are used as snow plows in the winter. I do not want to get a truck used for plowing snow, I know that much.

Thanks in advance.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Interesting. My son (a diesel mechanic) states that it’s typically around that 100,000 mile mark that something happens to a diesel. Ironically both of the trucks are just over 100,000. Thus they can get really expensive to fix. Why not a 3/4 ton gas if you want a 3/4 ton? For one it would be a lot cheaper. If you need repairs they aren’t that expensive. In fact for the same money you could probably find one below 100,000 miles. Plenty of TV to pull a 28’ AS. I pull 28’ with an F150. I do have a propride hitch. If I were to get a diesel though I’d get it where I would have the maintenance records. I would at least like to talk to the previous owner. Sounds like buying a used vehicle for you is definitely the way to go if you aren’t going to use it for a daily driver.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The 6 liter ford diesels had a lot of problems...very costly...they was why I switched to the dodge...ram..and never regretted it..no more fords for me
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
The Ford 6.4 diesels are know to have problems, and are best left alone unless it is documented that they have had the major upgrade. The 6.7 ford is a very good engine. I have owned several diesel pickups over the last 30 years, all of them bought used. My last one was a 2002 Chev 6.6L and sold it when I found my current truck. It has 140K on it and I have all the documents since new. If the diesel has had regular service there is no problem buying a truck with 100k miles. You will get all kinds of thoughts on diesel vs gas for a tow vehicle. I prefer diesel, just my own experience with both fuels. Yes maintaining a diesel cost a little more, but the resale value is a lot greater with diesel. JMHO!!!
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I’ve also been looking at diesel F350s. A nice 2013 is still over $40k, can run up to $50k. With the Ford A plan I can order new for not much more than that. Look carefully underneath for condition and rust, not just at the Carfax. I passed on a few of these after just rolling the creeper underneath and they had perfect Carfax report. Some have obviously been run on a lot of dirt roads.

Might want to look up information on the 6.4. and 6.0 before getting one of those despite the relatively good deal you may find on one. The 7.3 has a good reputation but much less power and torque than the new ones.

I’m actually considering Ram 6.7 turbodiesels for the first time.

By the way, I tow a 27 with an F350 gas which you can pick up for $25k for a really, really nice Lariat crew cab. It does everything I need it to do but someone in the family wants it and Christmas is coming lol.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
I knew the 6.0 had problems. I thought the 6.4’s were better. I know the 6.4 doesn’t have engine braking, at least the early years don’t. Engine braking is one if the interesting feature of Diesel to me, however, we don’t do that much mountain roads right now so we can wait on that feature.

I am looking at Ram trucks as well. I found a 2015 5.7L gas that the dealer was eager to sell. They offered to throw in tow mirrors (it doesn’t currently have them). I know the 5.7L would work for towing and it would help when not towing. It’s not a diesel (I’m not completely focused on Diesels). The upholstery looks like it was used, lots of dirt stains. If we go with it, I will have them steam clean the interior to alleviate that concern.

I mentioned it before, but there are so few non-snowplow 3/4 tons out here. Even the new ones come with the snow plow prep, dealers add that to pretty much all work trucks.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Snow prep is a very cheap option and just because it is on doesn’t mean it was used heavily for that purpose.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Although I am a Ford fan and I drive an older diesel I would be reluctant to recommend a used 6.4 or a 6.7 to anyone on a budget. Repairs on these engines can be very, very expensive. Yes the 6.0 trucks had problems but at this point in the game you can find some really good deals on nice 6.0 trucks and have one bulletproofed for about the same cost as a semi major repair on a 6.7. My recommendation is a 7.3 or a bulletproofed 6.0. If not that then go Dodge but do your research as none are without issues.

Watch this video, not everyone in the Powerstroke world always agrees with this guy buy he definitely knows Powerstrokes.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Snow prep is a very cheap option and just because it is on doesn’t mean it was used heavily for that purpose.
I am aware of that. I was just pointing out that pretty much all work trucks up here have the option. The ones on the used market overwhelmingly decided to use it.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:37 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

An alternative would be to go with a gas powered truck. Unless you are towing at high altitudes, the advantage of a diesel is pretty small. As mentioned above repairs on a diesel are plenty expensive. On any truck, unless you have maintained it yourself, there is no real way to know how it's been cared for. Past 120K miles ... things can get crazy.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I watched the video on power stroke diesels. Then I looked up other articles on diesel repairs. I think I would go with a Cummins before power stroke. But I would go with a gas before diesel. Just less possibility of very expensive repair costs. I think a diesel is for someone that would be towing the majority of time and was often in mountains.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
truck........

do yourself a favor........NO 6.4 FORD
buy CUMMINS, you will happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4313 (1).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	322070  
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
But but diesel. 1,000,000 mile easy.

Modern diesels are nothing like the simple, reliable, yet uncouth units from days or yore. Especially not these consumer powertrains which have nothing to do with their industrial brethren.

Today's motors are saddled with tons of complex failure prone auxiliary systems that belie their nature - high pressure fuel systems, DEF, turbo's. They're pushed incredibly hard to put up those headline torque numbers (torque is synonymous with cylinder pressure, can you say headgasket?)

Fleet managers know better and no longer spec diesel 3/4 and 1 ton units unless the job is very heavy. There's no real advantage to fuel costs, much higher operational costs, and a wash and arguably worse reliability over gas.

Unless you are wealthy and enjoy the perceived luxury of diesel, steer away.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Your gas engines are not like the old gas engines and easy to work on either. Check out the Ford Eco Boost with twin turbo's!! You will have to go to shop for any service these days. Some of us love our diesel trucks, and have driven diesels for years, and know how to maintain them. Not for everybody!! Diesel is NOT a perceived luxury!! It is very functional and efficient. Try to get the resale value out of a comparable gas truck. Good luck, as it will not happen. If properly maintaines both gas and diesel will last for years, but diesel will return more $$ to your pocket come time to sell or trade. Buy and drive what you are comfortable with. JMHO
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
We are expecting our new 2019 FC 28RBQ in November. Our current TV is undersized so I’ve been looking for a 3/4 ton option. We have 6.5 years to go before retirement, at most we do 1 to 2 week trips each year roughly 2500 miles each time. On average, we put about 3000 miles of towing on our TV each season, we might up that to 5000 now that our youngest is a Senior in HS and shipping off to the military next season.

As much as I like and covet the new tow vehicles, I don’t think spending $50k+ on a Diesel is a good idea for us at this time. What I am considering is getting an older Diesel 3/4 ton to get us through the next 3 to 5 years and then get a new fancy Diesel a few years before we go full time to work the bugs out of it.

I’ve found a decent 2008 F-250 XLT 6.4L Powerstroke with 109k miles on it locally. It was a Florida truck, never used to plow snow (no hardware for it either). I’ve test driven it and spoken with the owner. It drives much better than I’d expected. It has new tires (BF Goodrich Baja Champion 325/65R18’s which are beasts). I can pretty much pay for that truck out of pocket and sell my current truck in the interim.

I’ve also located a 2012 F250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke with 101k miles on it from a dealer an hour away. I’ve talked with the dealer, he seems legit, they get decent reviews. I suspect they picked up the truck at auction and have no idea about prior owners. From the photos, it will need new tires before next season.

I’ve never owned a diesel before. My wife and I have had 10 (11 in November) RVs in the past 25 years. I’ve typically kept newer tow vehicles, all gas.

So my question is related to getting an older truck as a Tow Vehicle. Am I crazy? Should I favor one over the other? We live in southern Maine, most Super Duty trucks up here are used as snow plows in the winter. I do not want to get a truck used for plowing snow, I know that much.

Thanks in advance.

Do not buy the 6.4. Notorious for having issues. (6.0 is also problematic)The 6.7 is a much better motor. The dealer purchase is a much better option assuming it is a Reputable Ford dealer. Be sure to get an Autocheck. (I prefer Autocheck over carfax) Consider a third party inspection.
One man’s opinion. I’m sure there will be many more.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
Your gas engines are not like the old gas engines and easy to work on either. Check out the Ford Eco Boost with twin turbo's!! You will have to go to shop for any service these days. Some of us love our diesel trucks, and have driven diesels for years, and know how to maintain them. Not for everybody!! Diesel is NOT a perceived luxury!! It is very functional and efficient. Try to get the resale value out of a comparable gas truck. Good luck, as it will not happen. If properly maintaines both gas and diesel will last for years, but diesel will return more $$ to your pocket come time to sell or trade. Buy and drive what you are comfortable with. JMHO
Hi

The gotcha is more that you pay a premium for the diesel truck. If you go with a gas powered version, you likely can knock quite a few miles off of your "same price" vehicle. Either gas or diesel with 50,000 miles on it would be a much better deal upkeep wise. The closer you can get to that number the better.

Yes, used truck prices can be utterly insane. I've sold several trucks for more as several year old used vehicles than I paid for them brand new. That just does not make any sense at all. I'm not Mr. Super Shopper when it comes to buying trucks or Mr. Let's Make a Deal when it comes to selling them. There just are a lot of people out there who only want a used truck.

Lots of fun ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I would much rather buy a used F250 with 50000 than a diesel with over 100,000. Brakes, shocks, etc are going to need maintenance and repairs especially on a truck over 100,000. Again if you need a diesel then get a diesel. And right now there are so me really good deals on new trucks.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Me '99 Cummins & I really like the 500+ miles per tank!
Powerstroke & Duramax can be problematic, choose wisely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36760330_1008861199279205_2907224759496343552_o.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	322105  
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
It doesn't sound like enough miles for considering a diesel engine. I would go with a gasser. Save your money and spend it at the pump.

I would think an F150 would do the job for you as long as it is setup for towing. It would have a smoother ride and mileage is good. Durring towing your mileage would be OK.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
It doesn't sound like enough miles for considering a diesel engine. I would go with a gasser. Save your money and spend it at the pump.

I would think an F150 would do the job for you as long as it is setup for towing. It would have a smoother ride and mileage is good. Durring towing your mileage would be OK.

I would agree. A good F150 with eco boost would easily do it. I pull 28’ with eco boost and propride hitch and it works just fine. I can drive faster than I would want and as a daily driver the F150 is a great truck. When I retire I will go with 3/4 ton since I will be needing more payload for longer trips.