Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #41
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thanks for your feedback Slowmover, it is appreciated.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #42
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
So much for Tundra 5.7 owners...
Hey, to a degree all input is potentially valuable even if not solicited, I learn a lot by listening to anyone who likes to talk.. [emoji38]

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I suppose input from others with 1/2 ton trucks is valuable.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
I've been really struggling to pick a TV because many say a half ton is more than sufficient for a 25FC (but that it gets iffy going past to 26, 27 etc) and that would be really great for my situation because I can't afford an expensive TV like a 3/4t, the 1/2t would be ideal for all the usual reasons people prefer them..

BUT the tongue weight of my incoming FC25 FB (starting at 837 and passing 1000 according to many) proves the "half ton will do it" truism false. I will be in my AS a lot, it will get heavy, and I want to put my kids in the truck sometimes... ..The usual payload quandry seen here many times

I hear it said (read) Tundras are seemingly really overbuilt and impressive in what they can effortlessly do because of it... I'd love to get one.

So I've been grappling with Payload issues in a potential TV (getting a FC25FB) and I'd like to put some questions to ya in a private setting so as to ask specific questions and get a candid exchange without re-hashing in a public forum again...

Could I ask for those of you out there working your Tundra 5.7L to send me a private message so I can run a couple things by ya? I'd love to follow up on this issue with those of you that are in the know...Thanks so much in advance, I've been reading till my brain hurts and need to cut to the chase
I just pared a recently purchased 2014 TUNDRA Platinum 4x4 with the 2018 Flying Cloud 25 FBT using the PropPride 3 tow hitch. And with a fully loaded trailer and 4 adults in the truck , it all seems to tow down the highway, very comfortably and safely at 60MPH. Everything is fine. The Tundra tow rating varies from 9,200 to 10,200 lbs depending wether it's a 4x4 or not.
Focus on the ProPride3 or Equilizer hitch with best custom setup and install by dealer. Remember that a quality anti-sway/weight distribution hitch and proper dealer setup; will allow the Tundra to putll most Airstreams 30' or less with confidence.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
I must confess that we haven't done the detailed weight analysis that can (should) be done to confirm tow vehicle worthiness for our rig. All we can point to is anecdotal evidence from our own experience which is as follows:

We have a 2007 Tundra double cab. We started pulling our 2014 Classic 27FB almost four years ago and have 100K plus miles on the Airstream. We have been to 46 of the Lower 48 states and several Canadian provinces. We've spent alot of time in the mountains. We seldom venture off of paved roads.

To date, the Tundra has performed admirably with just its regular maintenance - oil changes, tire rotations, and one round of new brakes and rear shocks. We've never had any major issues with this truck.

We have a deliberate strategy to reduce wear and tear on the Tundra, and besides regular maintenance, focus on three other things - 1) keeping max speed while towing to 60 mph, 2) letting the truck find its own comfortable speed up the hills, and 3) downshifting on the downhills vs. using our brakes.

With the cost of new pickup trucks being what they are, our intent is to stay with the Tundra to about 400K miles if we can - so far, we're at 215K. It's been a pleasure to drive such a dependable vehicle all this time and we are looking forward to many more good years in the Tundra.
I am aware of at least three Tundra Trucks (5.7L) in Texas that have exceeded the 600k total mileage. ...and still going strong after providing years of towing service to the oil and gas industry. I am also aware of two Tundra (4.7L) trucks that have exceeded 1 million miles....and Toyota bought them back from the owners to study the impact of high mileage use on the vehicles...and improve future designs.
Both trucks were properly maintained with good service records.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a 2008 5.7L 2wd double cab with 82k miles. It has been trouble free. I tow a 66 Tradewind and also have towed my 95 34'. Mileage towing my TW averages 13.5 driving gently. PM me if you want.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #47
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thanks to all for taking the time to reply .

I was wrestling with the low payload capacities of 1/2 ton trucks in general and the crimp they would put in my ability to enjoy the experience if I exceeded the max payload just by putting me and the kids in it after hitching up. Specifically the Tundra because I would've loved to get one...

I just couldn't imagine having my first pickup truck and actually not being able to safely put stuff in it in this scenario .. seemed so absurd!

It caused me to go with a 3/4 ton so that it just won't be an issue, no more worries . 3300 pounds or so of payload capacity now and I'll never worry about if I'm safe with the kids on a trip even with all the junk they ... or I ... might bring along. [emoji16]

The issue was me coming to terms with the realities, and exploring new concepts and problems.... I think the issue has been put to bed for me at least.

Again, thanks to all. Be well

Old 10-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
I hope you enjoy the new truck TT & camping. But for the benefit of other readers. As he mentions first truck no practical experience, so to someone who understands specifically how & why what makes to set up a safe stable tow. It reads like being afraid of monsters in the dark. "Low payload?," not axle weights, not CVWR, not even GVWR ie actual payload. To oversimplify so as to put it in a nutshell replace your unloaded steer axle weight on the scales with your hitch & other weight distribution and you will have a safe stable tow. And the thing is to do safety right he should do the same process with the 3/4 ton anyway. Yes the 3/4 ton provides more margin for error of a bad setup that said the safe setup process is the same.

To think putting your kids in the truck & therefore potentially by estimation exceed the payload sticker number or more appropriately & accurately said GVWR by a percentage point or two would crimp ones ability to enjoy the experience seems absurd to me. There is no practical reality in it except that a person can let their mind generate paranoia.

So don't be afraid to set up your tow to the mfg set safe limits. And KNOW that if you take a little time to do it right as proven on scales you will have a safe stable tow.

My only fear of useing the Tundra in his scenario is the amount of gas it consumes. I wish Toyota would offer a small diesel so that you could cut your towing costs by 20 or 25 percent.
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #49
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
I'm not interested in debating with anyone that comes off so pretentiously.

I'm interested in simple truths and concepts, simple rules, simple courtesy.

Your opinions, and everyone else's who comes off so condescendingly only serve to make me lose respect for people who otherwise should be deserving of it. I'm not the only person to have this impression.

I have a life, it won't be drowned in trivia and engineering, and pettiness. I've insulted no one, talked down to no one, rejected no advice nor comment.

It's a shame. Soon I'll probably be one of the vast silent majority who check out because of unpleasant and boorish forum commentary.

If this offends you, I won't apologize.

Advice is worthless if it can't be wisely conveyed. Both with skill and kind intent.

I'm done here. Save your proselytizing for someone who hasn't seen this before again and again.

Apologies for the unseemly words and tone. I prefer not to ignore some things, my own failing.

Best wishes to all.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #50
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If that was in reply to a great post by VernDiesel, you're way off the reservation.

Why it was well done is worth your time. Not that he wrote it, but what it encapsulates.

Some of us have been doing this decades. All sorts of tow vehicles.

Take your time. It's the hitch rigging, NOT the putative cargo capacity. There's no safety in a spreadsheet on an attendant problem. It isn't central.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Dayton , OH, 2017 33' Classic 8,561 dry
Wave man,

My apologies if I was pretentious. You have done nothing to not deserve simple courtesy.

Didn't mean to come off condescendingly but I believe I did even though the post wasn't directed to you. If some angst came through it was not directed at you as an individual.

Please don't let one post run you away from a great resource of information and exchange. But I do believe if you are looking for simple truth ie as to what makes for a safe & stable tow you will find it in that post.

Sincerely Verndiesel
Transportr AS & TT Mfg 2 dealr RAM ED factory brake controller tow mirror hitch camera & receiver 1,290/12k, No sway WDH, Adj. hitch, axle 2 frame air bags, tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 31.9" load tires, Max ED tow 9,200, GCAR 7,800, Max Ram 1500 GCVW 15,950, truck hitches steer 3,240 drive 2,560
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by damascus View Post
Took my 2012 5.7 Tundra into a Toyota dealer for its 90,000 maintenance service during the International Rally in Escanaba. Spent time with the service manager telling him I thought I could get 200,000 miles out of it easily. He laughed. Keep the maintenance required and you'll get 400,000 miles.

He went on to say that a guy brought his tundra in with over a million miles a while back. Toyota bought it from him and gave him a new one. They tore it down to analyze the moving parts and reported back that is was hard to tell the difference between the old and new pistons.

Bravado? Exaggeration? BS? maybe. But is sure made me feel good.

We tow a 2012 25' Flying Cloud all over the US and Canada. Never felt like the truck was wanting for anything.
Toyota has a promotional video about this on YouTube. If I remember correctly the truck owner used it regularly in heavy towing. Toyota was really interested in how this specimen fared over the miles. It was quite impressive.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I have a 2013 w/4.6 v8 at 120k and only replaced brake pads so far.
Good friend has 2008 w/5.7 at 190k and only major work was a recent starter replacement.
For me the only reason I would want to go up to any 3/4 ton from a 5.7 tundra towing a 25 would be better brakes. Our go to camping is in the eastern Sierra and steep canyons going from 5000' to 9000' in 10 miles or so is common, getting up not a problem but coming down can be.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #54
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
I hope you enjoy the new truck TT & camping. But for the benefit of other readers. As he mentions first truck no practical experience, so to someone who understands specifically how & why what makes to set up a safe stable tow. It reads like being afraid of monsters in the dark. "Low payload?," not axle weights, not CVWR, not even GVWR ie actual payload. To oversimplify so as to put it in a nutshell replace your unloaded steer axle weight on the scales with your hitch & other weight distribution and you will have a safe stable tow. And the thing is to do safety right he should do the same process with the 3/4 ton anyway. Yes the 3/4 ton provides more margin for error of a bad setup that said the safe setup process is the same.

To think putting your kids in the truck & therefore potentially by estimation exceed the payload sticker number or more appropriately & accurately said GVWR by a percentage point or two would crimp ones ability to enjoy the experience seems absurd to me. There is no practical reality in it except that a person can let their mind generate paranoia.

So don't be afraid to set up your tow to the mfg set safe limits. And KNOW that if you take a little time to do it right as proven on scales you will have a safe stable tow.

My apologies for letting this lie, life has a way of taking your attention elsewhere.

I was bothered by your discussing me like I wasn't present , not addressing me but talking about me. I thought that was quite rude.

When you used the words like "paranoia" and "absurd" to describe the thoughts I was trying to express , it just seemed like you were trying to offend me. Your tone really rubbed me the wrong way.

As far as I am aware there are no children posting here, no one ought to be addressed like they are one. Though this is my first civilian pickup, in my 27 yrs of combined Army, and State/Federal Law Enforcement I've operated vehicles from the WWII era , Vietnam era, and the modern era, towed stuff, driven trucks of all kinds, larger trucks, tracks, vehicles etc etc etc even motor homes going to New Orleans to secure the airport when Katrina hit.

Further I don't even know you, though I can't recall seeing a post by you in similar vein before in my immersion in this forums' depths over the past 8 weeks, to get this from a stranger is usually grounds for having words in my world.

My expressed desire to be able to put more things..stuff...in my TV while travelling hardly seems absurd, I'm sure I'm not the first person who will be full-timing who expressed a desire to be able to carry more stuff...to be ridiculed for it is uncalled for.

But as I said above I don't recall noting this kind of tone from you in all the other posts from you that I have seen-- so maybe it was just a bad day, bad circumstance, or bad luck. I appreciate your apology, it always makes a difference. I'm not one to bear grudge or malice, forgive my outburst and we can let this go I hope.. Life is too short and my job too stressful and tiring.

Best Wishes.