Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, yes; My last day of work will be Friday November 30 th 2007. I think I already have about two to three years worth of "Things To Do" waiting for me to keep me "busier than ever" as you said.
Hi, Bob. I have been retired since July, 2006 and the first advise I can pass on to you is to begin retirement by throwing away any lists you or your honey have made. Take each day as new and plan nothing but the AS Rallys you are going to. Believe me when I say that I don't know how I EVER had time for a job. See you at Casini again?

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #72
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Easier said than done, Neil. We could throw away our lists, but we'd just make more. If we couldn't write them down, we'd memorize them. When we'd finish them, we'd have already made more. So much to do—so many adventures! Volunteering is important to us, travel is essential, maintaining two houses (one on wheels), reading, spending time with friends (they all seem to have lists too). We complain about all the work, but we embrace it too because it's what we want to do. It's who we are. Now we get to choose what we do, so we work harder: we can sleep late sometimes, eat meals at different times, give back to the community, remodel the house 'til it's perfect (never happen), take 6 week trips to remote places and meet very different people who are really much the same as us (spend time in Newfoundland and meet some of the friendliest people in North America; spend half a day with an Inuit elder in a small town in the Canadian Arctic, etc.). And, buy an Airstream. We retired with a vengeance. I can change the oil on a weekday instead of waiting until the weekend and trying to squeeze it in. Retirement didn't change who we are.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote