Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
To answer the questions, in no particular oder:
Yes, you can use synthetic fluid in the transmission, as long as you do a complete fluid exchange.
The new Titan will be a rebadged Dodge Ram, built in Mexico. I don't know but what I'd rather have a rebadged Nissan built in the U.S. as a Dodge, but that's another story for another thread, maybe in another forum...
The basis for the 15K fluid change is what trailer you tow, how many miles you are towing, terrain and speed towed at, etc. IF you are towing at max towing capacity in the mountains at high speeds over 75% of the time, then you need the 15K change, with synthetic gear lube. It is easier to make a blanket recommendation rather than sit on the service drive with a slide rule and calculate exactly when the fluid should be changed.
Also, the Maxima is going to be available with a diesel powerplant next year, and the Quest will be built in Japan, along with a Murano convertible. The 350Z will have a larger engine (3.7 liter) and be renamed a 370Z.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I love those old boats. The 1 thing different on yesterdays cars and todays is the old trannys had better material for clutch plates. In the 78 they started with Metric trannys, Nylon clutches and when they got how they were always in the pan in bits and peices. Then cam early overdrives.Fluid held it in gear, when that failed cuz of heat those went into OD and reverse which ment they blew. Now more electronics and springs and pump pressure. Meens less failure if properly maintained. My point is Before the early fuel issue in the 70s engines ran at a higher RPM frames where beefey and cars where rear wheel drive except for Olds Toro ect. Todays cars run at lower rpms there is more pressure on drive parts as well as engine bearings especially with tight tolerances. Even before that 4:10 gears werent uncommon. My 41 plymouth came with them.That little flathead was buzzin
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
. . . . As for comments, where I'm from it is generally considered impolite for a stranger to comment upon a man's choice in a rifle, a dog or a truck.
Same here for the most part. But the sight of woman towing without assistance must make some forget their manners. ( OMG, didja see 'er hitch up that thang by 'erself? ) Maybe while my dog growls on command I could discretely flash a glimpse of my rifle . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
. . . As for rude comments about towing with a
"Japanese" truck, you could point out that the Armada and Titan are built exclusively in Canton MS, where as some of the "American" trucks are built in Mexico.
Some of those "Japanese" comments came from members of the Greatest Generation. I wasn't around for WWII, but the memories and distrust for all things Japanese must remain vivid for some. I have utmost respect for them so I just smile and go on. The others had no excuse except ignorant rudeness. I'll remember the "made in America" response next time.

Thanks all for the good info in this thread. I knew about the rear differential and brake problems with some of the earlier Titans but didn't know about the 15K fluid change. Most all of mine are towing miles.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
My grandfather and great uncle fought in WWII, the brown water Navy and SeaBees, respectively. My uncle did two tours in Vietnam as an infantryman. I'm a military veteran myself, though I was lucky enough to serve in a time of relative peace.

My grandfather died 30 years ago. My great uncle is over 90. The guys who actually fought the Japanese in the 40s have to be at least 80 years old. Now, if I bump into a guy who is offended by my Nissan Titan because he lost buddies on Guadacanal, Tarawa or Peleliu, I'm not going to say a word. That guy has earned his right to have any opinion he wants. If some guy in his 50s who never served a day in uniform gets in my grill about my choice of vehicles because he thinks it reflects on my patriotism, I might not be as gracious as you.

With the vintage Tradewind, I don't think the Titan needs all of the aftermarket changes I recommend. I'm a little prone to "over engineer" stuff. (Get thee behind me ye Grade 8 bolts!) The Dana 44 rear is really the Titan's weak link, but total failures are still relatively rare. If you have the aluminum (post 04) differential cover and use the heavier synthetic, you should be fine. If you were pulling a heavier load, I'd suggest the aftermarket shackles and some kind of suspension upgrade. The stock shocks are pretty much junk. When you have to replace them, I strongly recommend going with Bilstien or a similar product. You'll notice a difference. I also recommend gauges for the transmission and differential. Why guess when you can know?

Oh, and if the dog and gun approach don't work... the women of Montana have been known to use chewing tobacco to emphasize a particular point to a doubting man.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
. . . . Oh, and if the dog and gun approach don't work... the women of Montana have been known to use chewing tobacco to emphasize a particular point to a doubting man.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Yea that year and model weight in at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
My Tradewind is lighter weight than a Sovereign, but I'm totally happy with my Titan's towing performance (2007 LE, 4x4, big tow pkg). I don't get pushed around the highway, can pass effortlessly and quickly, and I towed loaded up a continuous curvy 25% grade on wet pavement last weekend without a problem.

In all fairness, a 70s vintage 30-31 footer is about 3000 lb lighter than recent models. However, Rich Luhr (Airstream Life) was pulling his 30 ft. Bunkhouse all over America with a Nissan Armada (basically a Titan with a slightly shorter wheel base). I've gotten some unexpected reactions to towing an Airstream with a Titan. I've been berated several times, once quite agressively, for towing an American icon with a "piece of Japanese crap". Last weekend another camper in Amicalola Falls State Park insisted I must have used a different vehicle to get my trailer up the mountain on that 25% grade.
@5000 lbs to play it safe I have @3000 lbs to play with.

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Quote:
The Titan is manufactured in Canton, Mississippi. It's also won a fair number of awards. In my opinion, the Titan and the Tundra have pushed the "Big Three" into building better 1/2 ton trucks.

When I was in college, I bought a little Toyota pickup. I put a quarter million miles on it and the most serious repair I ever did was to replace a clutch. It's probably still on the road somewhere. When I went truck shopping in '04, I looked at everything on the market in the 1/2 ton truck range. I liked the Nissan the best. The Nissan hasn't been as reliable as I hoped, but I have no major complaints. Nissan covered the front brakes until they were done right. I've blown a rear axle seal due to differential heat and poor venting but that's fixed now.

As for comments, where I'm from it is generally considered impolite for a stranger to comment upon a man's choice in a rifle, a dog or a truck.
It is assembled there,with mostly Japanese parts.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vestal , New York
They're all a mix of foreign & domestic parts and labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
It is assembled there,with mostly Japanese parts.

Federal Govt. statistics for domestic content of parts and labor (US & Canada):

Titan 65%

Tundra 80%

Ridgeline 75%

Dodge RAM 68%

Ford F series 80%

Escalade 66%

Avalanche 66%

Silverado 85%

Suburban 65%

Tahoe 66%

Denali 66%

Yukon 66%

H3 Hummer 77%
tmrgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
My super Duty was made in Ky. I was told by a freind that if you want to buy a vehicle made in the USA then a VIN # starting with 1 is correct. Vin# starting in 2 is canada and 3 is mexico. He drove up to Detroit to get his Vin code 1 siverado
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote