Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #81
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Thanks for checking with your GM guys on this. Are you certain we will have to program the codes for our vehicle? When the parts guy ordered the part for me, he needed the last 8 digits of my VIN to insure he had the correct part for my truck.

Anyhow, I picked up the part this afternoon and we will install it over the weekend. <fingers crossed>
Most OBDII electronics require being programmed, or "flashed". The most I have had to do with an ABS module was set the pinion count, on a Chrysler.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Thanks for checking with your GM guys on this. Are you certain we will have to program the codes for our vehicle? When the parts guy ordered the part for me, he needed the last 8 digits of my VIN to insure he had the correct part for my truck.

Anyhow, I picked up the part this afternoon and we will install it over the weekend. <fingers crossed>
OK...here's an update on the ABS situation with our truck. I have now confirmed that the EBCM was bad and did need to be replaced. Hubby installed the new module last weeked and it took him 15 minutes to replace the part. As it turns out, the only programming needed was to recalibrate the module with the size of the tires. Well, it just so happened we needed new tires too so when I mentioned this to the tire warehouse guy, he programmed the module at no addition cost.

I'm still scratching my head though at the price quoted to me by my GM dealership for replacing the EBCM -- $850 (with four hours of labor). We paid $450 for the part and it took Brian 15 minutes to install it start to finish. And, Brian is on crutches with a broken kneecap and didn't use a car lift whereas the dealership has able bodied mechanics working under car lifts. Go figure!

So, when the mechanic finishes a 4-hour job in 15 minutes and the car owner is charged for the 4 hours, who gets that extra money -- the mechanic or the car dealership???

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:59 PM   #83
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

So, when the mechanic finishes a 4-hour job in 15 minutes and the car owner is charged for the 4 hours, who gets that extra money -- the mechanic or the car dealership???
The tire size program is basically the same as the pinion count on the Chrysler. Most techs get paid per flat rate hour, meaning they get paid for the 4 hours, even though it only took them 15 minutes to do. Kind of like an attorney, it is called "billable hours" to them.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Pulled up the Alldata info on your truck. Shows 6 different EBCMs depending on your equiptment level with prices from $250.00 to $788.00. Labor is 1.3 hours for all.
I would like to think that they quoted the higher price not knowing which module you needed but the 4 hours is IMHO just plain wrong.
Even if I was having a bad week and needed to pad times I wouldn't have gone over 2.
Service writers are usually paid on commission so often push the envelope as hard as they can. This time it looks like he lost the whole job.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler
Pulled up the Alldata info on your truck. Shows 6 different EBCMs depending on your equiptment level with prices from $250.00 to $788.00. Labor is 1.3 hours for all.
I would like to think that they quoted the higher price not knowing which module you needed but the 4 hours is IMHO just plain wrong.
Even if I was having a bad week and needed to pad times I wouldn't have gone over 2.
Service writers are usually paid on commission so often push the envelope as hard as they can. This time it looks like he lost the whole job.
Thanks for doing that. Your part prices are in line with my research on that part. And, your labor price makes more sense but still seems a bit high (as I indicated it only took hubby 15 minutes to replace the part).

With regards to your comment about the quote being higher due to not knowing the whole situation, I find it hard to believe that a GM dealership would not know which part my truck needed. When we decided to tackle the project ourselves, I refused to even purchase the part from the dealership that quoted me the $850 price. I went to another GM dealer to buy the module and they quickly figured out which part I needed by asking me two questions: what is my VIN and did I have the 2" rise. If we didn't have the 2" rise in the truck, the part would have cost us $250. Of course now, the original dealership will now NEVER get my business again.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
So I just came across this handy little device. It plugs into the ODB-II port and will record 300 hours of data. When needed, plug into your computer and download the data.

PROVANTAGE: Davis Instruments 8226 CarChip Pro
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #87
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Nifty little device. Price is right too. I can think of a couple of professional and personal uses for this.

Tom

Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Yea, found it for as low as $99. Still looking...
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
We use ours all the time now. We are constantly getting the error about gasoline fumes (right after fueling) so it comes in handy to reset those codes. I found the "gas fumes" codes don't reset themselves, unfortunately. It costs about $50 a shot for a garage to reset the codes so it paid for itself immediately.

Also, in MA, vehicles won't pass inspection if there is a code. It comes in handy to test the vehicle prior to inspection to give us time to repair the issue, if any.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Are you saying that the CarChip Pro can also be used to reset the Check engine light? Or are you using something else? I have been usinging my OBD-II interface box I got from scantools.net and my $10 Palm Pilot to do that and record data.
But if the CarChipp does this as well, it might be the better option....

Quote:
We use ours all the time now. We are constantly getting the error about gasoline fumes (right after fueling) so it comes in handy to reset those codes. I found the "gas fumes" codes don't reset themselves, unfortunately. It costs about $50 a shot for a garage to reset the codes so it paid for itself immediately.

Also, in MA, vehicles won't pass inspection if there is a code. It comes in handy to test the vehicle prior to inspection to give us time to repair the issue, if any.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Quote:
We are constantly getting the error about gasoline fumes (right after fueling) .... Also, in MA, vehicles won't pass inspection if there is a code.
What code are you pulling up? P440-P455? These evap emissions leaks are often caused by faulty gas caps. Pretty common in cold weather as the seals are stiffer.
One other thing to point out is that just clearing the codes and resetting the light won't reset the readiness monitors. The emission test checks for 3 major items. MIL on, fuel cap seal and the readiness code. This code indicates that the system has run, and passed, all the necessary tests. No code and you fail the test.

Always the bearer of good news,

Tom

Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
OBD-II Port

Can someone tell me where the OBD-II port may be on a 1992 350LE? Thanks, Jim
Delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
Can someone tell me where the OBD-II port may be on a 1992 350LE? Thanks, Jim
OBD-II ports are always on the drivers side, usually under the steering column. It may be under the dash and not readily apparent.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna View Post

I keep mine in the center console of my Burb. I had a small leak developing in my exhaust upstream on my cats and was alerted to the problem by the computer coding P0420 and P0430 (Catalyst efficiency below threshold for both banks 1 and 2).

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
I keep mine in the center console of my Burb. I had a small leak developing in my exhaust upstream on my cats and was alerted to the problem by the computer coding P0420 and P0430 (Catalyst efficiency below threshold for both banks 1 and 2).
Funny thing about that "small leak"... 2 1/2 hours after posting this, I had to have the entire exhaust system replaced...

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #96
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Currently Looking...
Newark , Delaware
Thanks Bob. I did locate the port. It's actually an OBD-I GM system. The link worked but the "Vehicle is not responding" so I couldn't get any codes. I talked with my GMC service provider and he said to check the cigarette lighter fuse as the OBD port runs off of the same line. That's my next step.
Delaware is offline   Reply With Quote