Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
gpt, that constant shifting when towing with Tundra and and our gas Ram (due to insufficient torque at low rpm) is curable by selecting a lower gear and leaving it there. You most probably know that, but others are not willing to let the engine rev to 2200 rpm or so going down the highway. I see at least as good fuel economy doing that as having the constant shifting going on. On more level stretches I can move it up a gear, but I generally just leave it in 4th.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
8 gears and diesel are better

Especially when you have enough torque to pull 8th gear at 65MPH and get 15 MPG doing it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	245879

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
~~
Toyota Tundra and a diesel?? i'd say that is not likely as their market share is so small that investing in something like this will become problematic. it would require a rethink of the current truck set up, more load capacity, a 6 1/2' bed with the crew cab and so on. but, a diesel would solve my biggest problem with the Tundra and the reason i sold the last two i owned, no torque and constant shifting while towing.
Toyota could also sell such a diesel in the Sequoia, Land Cruiser and the Lexus-badged version of the Land Cruiser. All of those vehicles could use serious help in the fuel economy area, and the diesel could make them more flexible all-around vehicles too by allowing heavier towing without threatening the engine.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #24
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Toyota could also sell such a diesel in the Sequoia,....
If that ever happens, the wife will get a new Sequoia, and I'll go back to driving the M3!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I read in one of the car mags. that the new Nissan will be kind of a new niche "size" between a 1500 and 2500.
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Most diesel 2500s only have 1800 to 2400lbs of payload with the mid level and higher trim packages so the Nissan XD will have to compete against those GM, Ford and Ram 3/4t with more powerful diesels unless the XD price is more around the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

Kelvin
Old 08-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Funny, top, that could be a photo of the gauges of my GMC 6.2 liter, 'crept there's no DEF level gauge 'cause there's no DEF required. Same engine speed, same road speed, same MPG.😜
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #28
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
Funny, top, that could be a photo of the gauges of my GMC 6.2 liter, 'crept there's no DEF level gauge 'cause there's no DEF required. Same engine speed, same road speed, same MPG.😜
Torque is the answer to towing. I think the 6.2 make a lot of low end torque, yeah?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
1973 31' Sovereign
Noonan , New Brunswick
Looks like a ford with a Nissan logo on it. I have to admit may be able to save Nissan trucks though. I had Nissan vehicles for years. Service was great at the dealer though sales team sucked. I got rid of my Nissan truck because they quit making parts for it. It was only 10 years old. My wife still drives Nissan cars. Though trades up every 4 or 5 years. Would not keep a Nissan too long as parts may become scarce. Think I ll wait a year or two to ensure the bugs are all worked before I consider looking at their truck. Or I could just buy the Ford version for less money and put a Nissan logo on it.
It does have similar ratings for towing and payload as my Dodge Ram 2500. So possibly this will be classified as a 3/4 ton truck .
KEIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:55 PM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, I'll start by pointing out that I have an F150. That said, I don't see how anyone can look at a Titan and say it looks more like an F150 than any of the other squarish-nosed trucks, it's a mishmash of all the worst design cues of full-sized trucks over the last couple of design iterations, and each one of those cues has been over-emphasized to the point of being cartoonish.

It has the too-much-chrome problem that ALL the newer trucks exhibit. They took the Tundra "stamp your name in it" from the tailgates and applied that to the grille, the too-many-bumps-and-bulges in the hood from the Duramaxes of a couple of versions back, the prominent meshy background in the grille from the previous Silverado, etc. They just made a checklist of the competitors' design cues, checked them all off and then slathered on some more. They've had a decade to redo the style of the thing and frankly they failed on that front... hopefully its (likely impressive) capabilities will compensate for its looks.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Well, I'll start by pointing out that I have an F150. That said, I don't see how anyone can look at a Titan and say it looks more like an F150 than any of the other squarish-nosed trucks, it's a mishmash of all the worst design cues of full-sized trucks over the last couple of design iterations, and each one of those cues has been over-emphasized to the point of being cartoonish.

It has the too-much-chrome problem that ALL the newer trucks exhibit. They took the Tundra "stamp your name in it" from the tailgates and applied that to the grille, the too-many-bumps-and-bulges in the hood from the Duramaxes of a couple of versions back, the prominent meshy background in the grille from the previous Silverado, etc. They just made a checklist of the competitors' design cues, checked them all off and then slathered on some more. They've had a decade to redo the style of the thing and frankly they failed on that front... hopefully its (likely impressive) capabilities will compensate for its looks.
Sure, but when you are inside driving down the road with your Airstream in tow, you really can't see all that "ugly". You just get to enjoy the brute power, the smooth ride, favorite tunes and peace and quite.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
I agree with DBK.

Frankenstein.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . that Ram 1500 diesel is a $60k truck, and so is the 2015 F150 with the good stuff. For a half ton truck, albeit a real nice one ! Ford was discounting theirs about $12k as of last week, Dodge only discounting gas models. . .guess I'll drive my '11 F150 a while longer. Regards, Craig
Old 08-21-2015, 01:01 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Perhaps a regional thing. They are giving Dodges away around here. Same for Ford. Visited a dozen dealers in last two months and $8-10k off MSRP has been offered to me in initial conversation in the parking lot.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
On my way home from getting my new-to-me diesel Duramax, I was listening to the local radio station. I couldn't believe it when a Nissan ad came on where they were speaking of the new 2016 Titan with a 5.0L Cummins. Just went to their webpage, and sure enough, there it is. Not too hip to the way it looks outside, but I am surprised that Nissan teamed up w Cummins to get it's share of the larger truck market. Here's the link. Your thoughts please?
Oh... that is quite "Fordy" looking styling, isn't it. Interesting. But not so great looking really. Has that Japanese trying-to-be-American quality to it, in a typically Japanese, really weird way. That outer bulge on the hood line gives it all away. A bit cheesy looking. May be a good quality truck. But they won't be selling one to me.

You made a great choice with your Duramax diesel, FIH. Enjoy!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
1973 31' Sovereign
Noonan , New Brunswick
Local Nissan has the new diesel on display today and tomorrow. They do not have any pricing on it as of yet though. I mentioned that it looked like the Ford trucks. I was informed by the manager "While you shouldn't be surprised, when Nissan first brought out the Quest it was a Ford van with Nissan logos on it. You could get direct replacement parts from your local Ford dealer. The next year Nissan had their own design". I could not get him to come out and admit that Ford had a hand in this new truck though, he sort of hinted at it by his statement.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Did you happen to check the tire/load sticker on the door. Be interesting to see what the payload is on this truck.

Kelvin
Old 08-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Excellent ? KJRitchie. I too would like to see the numbers. As I always say "Proof is in da puddin"
This is def a niche market that Nissan is going after. Bigger than 1/2 ton capability, but rides like a light duty truck...supposedly anyway. This would be perfect for doug/dkottum. Then he'd have a real set!
Reminds me of the Shamrock line of boats. Only manufacturer of straight inboards under 30' designed for both lakes/inshore & offshore capabilities. Not the fastest, but a tough lil boat that will never let you down. Something tells me, they aren't going to be selling these trucks like hotcakes, but I do admire them for going after this market share. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:02 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
1973 31' Sovereign
Noonan , New Brunswick
New Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Did you happen to check the tire/load sticker on the door. Be interesting to see what the payload is on this truck.

Kelvin
Went back to Nissan this morning. No one around but truck was fully open. Think they forgot to lock it as yesterday it was locked up. If has a DEF fill up hole behind the fuel door. I got a picture of the weights and Nissan is being very secretive about it. The truck at this location was a Titan 1500 Platinum. Doesn't Ford have a F150 Platinum? Just another similarity.
Nice spacious cab and of course the famous ~ 5" box only good for hauling grocerys.
Sorry Nissan you need to bring more to the plate than this to get me back as a customer.
Hints are floating around at the dealer be looking $70,000 starting price. Way to much for what your getting when you could have a Ford 250 with V8 diesel crew cab with 8' box for $49,000. I have never owned a ford but think I may switch when I need to.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
All of the trucks suffer from redneck mud bogging, mine is bigger and taller than yours problems. Even the little Tundra is now the size of the older F150's. When will this madness stop? Taller trucks are worse handling and less functional than something more reasonably suspended. Then you add the whole poor weight distribution problems to that and you have a top heavy roll happy wallering pig. Too bad they can't make a decent truck that is made for everyday users instead of the 1% who actually need the truck to be 3 ft off the ground and requires at least one step to get in. My Excursion is high enough and has much better weight distribution as a truck. Too bad Ford can't make a truck that height. Yes my Excursion handles like a pig but it does not spin the wheels and swap ends in the rain.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote