Nissan Titan 5 13.89%
Chevy or GMC 16 44.44%
Dodge Ram 2 5.56%
Ford 9 25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Aland...I agree with the wife...but, I'm prejudice way in favor of a mh...My wife would never agree on a trailer...she likes the convenience of traveling with the couch and bath nearby and of course, room for all the dogs...good luck on your decision...joe...

Old 02-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
85% (as of this posting) of folks that responded can't be wrong.

Old 02-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yikes....a lot to consider;
-a Titan with a 28 footer or smaller.
-a Durmax or Cummins 3/4 ton with a 31
-keep my motohrome and status quo
- a Tundra and an SOB plastic trailer ( not a choice for me)
-VW campmobile, tent, guitars, 8 track, large bong ( flashback ---oh sorry that was 30 years ago)
Seriously thanks again all. I will continue to ponder.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #18
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
My 03 Tundra 4x4 is a good match for my 25' Trade Wind. I would not want to pull a larger TT with it however.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so the Tundra does ok in the hills with the 25...
we do have a lot of hills in our area and in further up N Georgia where we camp often.
Is there a difference in towing with the 4x4 versus 4x2?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 02-27-2006, 07:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Have a 2005 Toyota Tundra Step-Side with the towing package and Prodigy brake control. I pull a 24ft, 1978 Argosy without any problems. Granted we have few "hills" in Oklahoma, but we do have some mountains in the Southeast where our lake property is located. My husband has had very little problems with this truck pulling the "Twink" at the posted 70MPH speeds. I myself don't like to push it that much, but it takes it in stride. I agree that I would not want to pull anything much bigger with it. I bought a Toyota because of its great resale value and reputation for workmanship. I have not been disappointed. We also have a 2000 F-150, 5.4L Triton V8, that does an equally great job with over 200,000 miles already on it. We have just purchased a 26ft, 1958 Overlander, and I don't forsee any problems with pulling a vintage like that either. I thought about a 4x4, but that reduces your towing capacity by about 500lbs. No real need for that in Oklahoma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	18771  
Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for your info. I also heard from a member who towed a 30' with a Titan for many miles worry free. I guess there are lots of options.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 02-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
28' Classic pulled w/ Titan 4x2 w/Hensley

Alan,

We've had our 28' Classic and Titan for 1 1/2 years. We've towed in the Poconos, Alleganies, White Mtns of NH, Green Mtns of VT, the Blue Ridge Mtns coming from WV to Roanoke, VA. We never tow in overdrive unless we're on a flat highway. We drop it down into 3rd if we're climbing so that it doesn't jump between gears, this also helps to keep the transmisison temp cooler. We have traveled empty, full, and partially full with a combination of fresh/black/gray water. Our trailer weighs about 7800 with gear and water (weighed it at town dump scale). We are two people traveling with a dog, the payload in the truck besides us is usually a couple lightweight mtn bikes, couple kayaks, grill, extra 20 lb. propane, 7 gallon water jug, truck cap, etc. We have never had a problem towing up or down the above mentioned mountains. We have yet to go out west so are unfamiliar with those heights. We average right around 10 mpg with average highway speeds of 65 mph. Our local rv tech that works on our trailer told us that the Hensley would be overkill if we had a bigger truck but that is was good to have with the half ton. We're not experts on payloads but it is nice to be able to adjust the front/back weight ratio with the Hensley and maybe that has helped with the handling of the 28' trailer. The best thing about the Titan for us is that we can still fit it in our garage, barely.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
What are the opinions on the Dodge Dakota ext cab with V8? Anyone??
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #24

Currently Looking...
Waldorf , Maryland
Just wait until 2009 when the Titan is available in an HD version with a diesel. The domestics will have some serious competition on their hands. I think when that comes out, I'll have to trade for a new truck.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:32 PM   #25
Mad1

1989 29' Excella
Dallas , Texas
I tow a 29ft '89 Excella (6800lbs) with a Nissan Titan and travel the mountain west. Power is adequate and you must
be willing to use the engine revs to keep in the torque band when climbing. The only modifications I have made to the truck were to improve handling, better tires and the
Timbren Suspension system front and rear. Nissans manual shifting automatic and the lower 1-2 gear ratios that are part of the towing package work very well. I bought my Titan very cheap, an '04 still on the dealer lot
in June '05. Any of the diesels comparably equiped were at least 12K more! That number still buys a lot of gas to make up for the poor mileage the truck gets!

Steve
Old 12-20-2006, 12:28 AM   #26

Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
Titan Does the Job!!

We are currently towing a 28ft white box with slide out. Total wet weight, including stuff in the bed and canopy is about 8500#. The Titan replaced our Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L HO (6500# tow rating) which handled the WBWSO without any problems, averaging about 10.5 mpg on 2 round trips from AB to CA, mostly mountain driving with cruise set at 55 mph.

We bought the Titan because we decided to upsize our TT, with an Airstream 34 as one possible option. and felt the Jeep might be straining a little, although a good friend who is a second generation Airstream dealer, says the Jeep would handle it OK. He is one of, if not THE, most knowledgable authorities on towing anywhere and writes a column on the subject, for a Canadian RV magazine RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints & Wagon Masters

The Titan doesn't seem to know the TT is there. One round trip to CA and from AB to FL via Elkhart this winter so far, we are averaging 11.5 mpg, again with cruise set at 55mph. On the drive south through the Smokies, I can count on both hands the number of times the tranny down shifted to 4th, and on one hand the number of times it downshifted to 3rd.

As my friend the dealer often says, manufacturers' tow ratings are not reliable as an indication of towing capability. Consider, for example, the Ford F150. Advertised as "highest tow rating in class", they bumped the rating 400# when the Titan arrived and matched their previous 9500# rating. Now GM has introduced their new 1500 with a rating of 10500# and Ford has bumped their ratiing to match. This is a total increase of 1000# with no changes to the truck!

As an aside, when we tested the 1/2 tons, we found the Ford had the least grunt of all and the Titan was head and shoulders above the competition. I recently saw a dyno chart for the Titan with before and after readings for a cold air intake and free flow exhaust. The stock rear wheel numbers were almost as high as Nissan rates at the flywheel! The accusations by the mtoring press of sandbagging on the hp/torque figures by Nissan seem well founded.

I would recommend the Titan for either a 31 or even a 34 without hesitation, provided you don't want to tow over 55 or 60 mph.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:08 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Well, I dare to offer yet another opinion on the Nissan Titan. I just sold my 06 crew cab 4x4. I pulled our 25' 96 Excella with it. The Titan accelerated and pulled the straights just fine. Hills and mountains were a series of downshifts and upshifts. Driving highway without towing I managed almost 15mpg with cruise control. In town you drive from gas station to gas station. The best thing I liked about the Titan was its roominess with the back seats folded up which is where I left them all the time. The Nav system was a pain to use as it thought it was smarter than you as it tried to complete the names of streets you input into it (very often incorrectly without a way for you to override the system). The HVAC system was unecessarily complicated as you attempt to adjust temperatures or the various vents through which the air flows. Probably the biggest nightmare with respect to the Titan is its jumpy throttle. The Titan would be an excellent race truck if it were in Nascar. This thing can take off like a rocket and would probably give a vette a run for its money. If you like an extremely responsive throttle, this is your truck. I personally hated it. I now drive an 06 Ford F250 CC Powerstroke. Now this is a SERIOUS truck. Simple straight forward instrumentation, excellent fuel mileage (just over 20mpg highway empty) and a great tow vehicle. Bottom line, different strokes for different folks. Test drive as many as you can then make your choice. Also, I think 1/2 tons are probably ok through 25' trailers. Certainly above 25' I would recommend a 3/4 ton truck. It all depends on your comfort zone. I like the extra payload capacity and pulling power from my new truck. I'd rather have excess capacity than not enough capacity.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
I read the post on towing a 34' with a jeep. Also the advice from the guy that said by the truck last, that was great advice BTW. I had a brand new chevy 1/2 ton with the tow package, I think it was rated at 8300. We then bought a used 2000 34' excella. I had the dealer drop it off. I hooked up the 1/2 ton and went around the block, no problem. Then tried 35mph down a big city street, no problem. Same for 45. Then I hit the interstate, with big trucks, a cross wind, and high speed traffic. Houston we had a major problem. Longest 1mile of my life to the next exit. Post mortem was a combination of short truck wheel base, truck weight (lack of), tongue weight, and just trunions, no extra anti-sway gear.

Went down to Dodge the next day and picked up a 2500 quad cab 4x2 with a Cummins diesel. Added the reese anti-sway set-up and never looked back (or had to). Towing should be fun, not an exercise in ulcers wondering if you got the power to pass a broken down VW van climbing a two lane hill or the brakes to come down the other side. I am sure any of the Big 3 diesels would get the job done. Now that I have been at this a few years, I guess if you are in a flat state, you could get by, out here in the West, you better have some power or plan on a lot of time going 30mph with the 4ways on.